New toy, a GTR

Yeah I shift around it at the moment. Nissans had a problem with it from the R32, strengthened it on the 33 but its still weak. Some people swap to the 300zx box as its stronger and 6sp or there is a R34 6sp conversion.

If the stickers are NLA from Nissan, just get some made up; they're only stickers. I had a sticker making machine and stuff when I was about 10 lol.

Yeah MA the old insulation had lost its rigidity (is that a word?) and sagging until it was nearly touching the engine!
The gearbox has a common GTR problem of crunching when selecting 4th. Not sure if theres a rebuild kit or something?

When GTR gearboxes wear , as they always will , it is usually 2nd or 4th gear as they seem to be the weakest
you can get a rebuild kit which will be all the gearsets
Think new the kit is about £1800 (not fitted) from Nissan.
It is a uk stock item so can be ordered in two or three days

Nissan changed to dual syncros in 98/99 and these boxes are much better for gearchanges . I fitted one to the stagea and the difference is noticeable.

All new gearsets are the later one which fit straight in any 32/3 box but you need to buy the whole set if you have an earlier box.

EEK £1800 pounds. Theres goes my respray budget. I'll make some enquires at my dealer and see if they can come up with a good deal for me, they've been really helpful so far on sourcing genuine parts.

EEK £1800 pounds. Theres goes my respray budget. I'll make some enquires at my dealer and see if they can come up with a good deal for me, they've been really helpful so far on sourcing genuine parts.

if you have the earlier box you cant fit new parts singly as all the new parts have been upgraded to dual syncros
If you have the later box you can replace individual parts fine.
you can pick up a decent second hand 33gtr gearbox for around £500 . Unfortunately the 34 getrag 6 speed conversion needs a few extra parts on top of the box for the conversion
The lot will cost around £2K in all and that is used and without labour.

I do realise that, but it did deserve a reply ........you should have seen the first two I deleted :lol:

All legendary cars and engines can have humble beginnings. Ferdinand Porsche started with Hitlers people car and look what he ended up creating. The Rover V8 started as a Buick castoff and that ended up powering some of the greatest cars seen in the UK from the SD1 through to TVRs and racing cars. Lamboghini built tractors.
I like seeing the history and development of certain cars and all manufacturers have dodgy pasts or stereotype owners so I took it in good gest MA. I LOVE my Skyline and had a lot of conversations with owners of way more exotic machinery on Sunday at a car show as my GTR was the only one there amongst thousands of Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, Maserati, 2 Lambos and a Maclaren MP4......? whatever the number is. It had some enthusiastic comments and held its own on the soundoff but I think the Lambo Diablos V12 won the day for best noise when it left the showground.

I LOVE my Skyline and had a lot of conversations with owners of way more exotic machinery on Sunday at a car show as my GTR was the only one there amongst thousands of Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, Maserati, 2 Lambos and a Maclaren MP4......? whatever the number is. It had some enthusiastic comments and held its own on the soundoff but I think the Lambo Diablos V12 won the day for best noise when it left the showground.

That sounds like quite a show you went to on Sunday Andy, where was it exactly and will it be on again next year or was it a one off?

I'm a HUGE Skyline fan btw and Andy, I love your GTR too! Unfortunately they rank up there with Evo's at £4.5k for me to insure atm so put it down to jealousy lol. I have noticed there's a big Skyline tax on some parts, standard and aftemarket.

Its alright MA I was just progressing the banter about stereotypes in manufacturers, how they all have dodgy pasts in one way or another. I would goad my mate with Datsun jokes about his 200SX now I have a Nissan myself!
I'm getting around to uploading the show pics, took 170 pics so just sorting out and then get a gallery file up I think to see somr tasty metal (and fibreglass) that was there.

That sounds like quite a show you went to on Sunday Andy, where was it exactly and will it be on again next year or was it a one off?

It's the Sherborne Classic & Supercars at the Castle. It's on every year and gets better each year. Theres a picture set of the show couple years ago in my gallery selection to give you an idea. I missed last year due to being in hospital but as its just 10 mins away from my house I get to it as often as possible. 1st time I've actually had a roadworthy classic to display this year so made it the best show so far for me.

It's the Sherborne Classic & Supercars at the Castle. It's on every year and gets better each year. Theres a picture set of the show couple years ago in my gallery selection to give you an idea. I missed last year due to being in hospital but as its just 10 mins away from my house I get to it as often as possible. 1st time I've actually had a roadworthy classic to display this year so made it the best show so far for me.

It sounds great Andy and I will make the effort to pop along to this next year.
Congratulations on having that roadworthy classic by the way to enter the show with ;)
Is there any chance of you posting up the date for 2013 when you have it in the Meets/shows forum. I am sure a lot of people would be interested in attending next year :)

Expensive business these Datsuns :lol:

DATSUN
100_2261.jpg

100_2346.jpg

Nissan
100_2336.jpg

100_2348.jpg

Just so we're clear MA! :lol::lol::lol:

It was a brilliant show, still talking about even now

WOW!! Brilliant pictures Andy :bigsmile: I am going to have to up my game 3 fold now just to be level with some of those guys :sad2:

WOW!! Brilliant pictures Andy :bigsmile: I am going to have to up my game 3 fold now just to be level with some of those guys :sad2:

Cheers T9. TBH I was just clicking away as there was so much to see had to miss some vehicles out. Diablo is my fav car ever along with the F40 so I was very happy especially as the Murcialago and Diablo decided to leave same time as us so followed them out. OMG!!!! That thing is LOUD!!!
Your car would fit in nicely there :-X

Right going for a final push on getting mechanics sorted. Bought a replacement gearbox for bargain price of £350 from Skyline Owners Club member. Ordered new rear wheel bearings, front arb droplinks, front brake discs. Nissan wanted over £2000 for a pair of discs!!! Asked if they were made from gold mined by virgins with there bare hands. Got some EBC oem ones for a fraction of that. Four new tyres in the correct size as previous owner had stretched ones fitted and all should be finished except for couple of interior bits.

Wow that's some list Andy, when can we expect to see the updated photos then with all that fitted. :)

Haha T9. Its been such a joy to drive recently now engine is working properly I wanted to clear up these last little niggles. Rear hubs were droning
Front discs had a start of a crack causing a judder.
ARB drop link corroded causing a creaking noise when going over speed bumps.
Tyre were a size to small and just annoyed me every time I saw them.
Case of while its in get them all sorted.

Link to my online Picassa gallery https://plus.google.com/photos/1179...ms/5765499594028319505?authkey=CPWCuP_x1rbVOg

Hope it works as not done it like this before but 169 photos was a lot to upload to here. They're in no particular order it seems but you'll get the idea of the show. Enjoy :amuse:
I'll put some of my favourites in a gallery set for here later

New link as this seems to not work now and added more pics my mate took
https://plus.google.com/photos/117936550701038831684/albums/5771061429621144321

Last edited:
Had some new parts arrive today in the form of set of EBC vented and grooved discs. These along with the droplinks, rear wheel bearing, gearbox and new tyres will be fitted next week :bigsmile:

100_2437.jpg

100_2436.jpg

Popped in yesterday to see how works going. Tyres, droplinks, brake discs fitted. Tyler said he had much more confidence in the braking and NO SQUEAL!!!! After a year of squealing brakes it looks like I can have a relaxed drive without pulling up behind someone sounding like I'm trying to emergency stop a train. The one part we order from Nissan, the rear wheel bearing, and they send front ones so correct ones now here but means fitment will be next week now. Gearbox will go in next week aswell along with the geo aligment for a fast road setup as I have no idea what state the suspension, camber etc settings are at moment and the wheels don't look like they sit right. Had a clonking noise from the steering wheel that set the horn off intermittently. Turns out it was the counter weight being loose in the wheel and shorting across horn contact.
Should be able to pick up Wednesday hopefully

New brake discs
20120818_113300.jpg

New ARB droplinks
20120818_113218.jpg

Wheel hub in bits ready for bearings
20120818_113322.jpg

Caption compitition sugestions?
20120818_113231.jpg

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back