New Stock Fabia VRS MKII - Questions.

hindy1

Car
Fabia Mk2 1.4TSI
Hello again gents,

Purchased a new MK II Fabia VRS.
1.4 TFSI 180BHP Petrol

A few questions just so I know my future options for modding.
Would appreciate any and all pointers from those more intelligent than I.

Very impressive throttle response. Im told the "sucking" on the TFSI is satisfactory from a modding POV, would this benefit from any sort of Sports Panel Filter as a cheap increase?

Im also told the Fabias respond well to a full remap, obviously this would void the warranty on my new car... is there any point of remapping, knowing this? I do like my warranty! ;)

Any other cheap performance mods you can think of?
Not really keen on spunking cash and slapping on modifications all over the shop for negligable gains, if theres anything quick or anything that would really see me benefit im totally for it... any ideas?

Thanks for any input gents.
Take care.

Johny

Hi Hindy1!
Got no clue about 1,4 TFSI (altough have read VW stoped that engine due some problems with injectors, but don't worry - every new product have some bugs) but most people think most cost efective mod is always an good remap. Power gain with remap is noticable without a doubt. Other mods are usually taken to relief stress from engine parts - air filters and egsaust can somewhat make life easier for charging elements and/or make a little EGT reduce. Not sure if EGT is smaller or help turbo to get reed of heat faster.
However, i hope my post could initiate more respond of people with more knowledge after they stop laughing how ignorant I am...:embarrest:
:blink1:

no i remember someone told me that skoda had remapped some of their own cars as a special, and were happy for customers to have remaps

they might be happy for the remap to be carried out as its not like your doing it yourself

no i remember someone told me that skoda had remapped some of their own cars as a special, and were happy for customers to have remaps

they might be happy for the remap to be carried out as its not like your doing it yourself

That's spot on thanks I will make enquiries. What's your thoughts on chucking in a replacement sports panel filter? That will just sit in the current stock housing will it not? Would that be a nice little addition? I realise performance gains would probably be negligable.

J

em i ran one in my 1.8 for a while with no real noticible gain, also hacked the air box to fit larger cold air feed to it using the 3.2 parts and smoothed the airbox. i noticed a slight increase after doing this but nothing to shout about

Thanks, Ive heard sucking shouldnt be a problem with this engine. Sports exhaust and remap will probably yeild the greatest gains.

In another note, the engine has a lovely blow off noise currently, its stock but im assuming it must come with a blow off valve of sorts. Would be great to make this a bit louder as I love it, not too chavvy though.

Anyone had any dealings with blow off valves and know a good place to source them?
Also, in fitting one, would I need to be aware of any sensors that could be affected (mass airflow etc)?

Cheers

ive a feeling that it runs the same as the larger engines.

the BOV is a divertion valve that puts the charged air back into the intake. if you were to do away with this then youll find its louder but also wont run right or might even through up an error.

probably wouldnt even bother with the exhaust itself mate, fit a sports cat in place of the OEM one but that would possibly be all thats needed

A blow off valve (BOV) is different to a diverter valve?
The diverter dumps the compressed air charge (waste post throttle close) back into the unpressurised intake, and the BOV dumps said charge to atmosphere.

I *think* it has a BOV, I havnt read any whitepapers that say so, however there is a noticable hiss upon throttle release during boost. I want to capitalise on this and make it louder (i know, right). Im aware on some vehicles this messes with mass airflow sensor if not done correctly, my questions are:
-Does anyone have any ideas as to where I could source a nice BOV
-Does anyone actually know if the new Fabia VRS's have BOVs as apposed to a diverter
-If I was to replace whatever is in there currently with an aftermarket BOV, would I need to consider things like MAF sensor etc?

Sorry if this is long winded, just trying to get to grips with things!
Johny

both do the same this, get rid of the pressurised air, very few with MAFs get away with dumping to the atmosphere, in theroy it should mean that the air coming back through the intake is slightly higher pressure than it would have been

nope it has a diverter valve

forge do an upgraded one but dont know if it makes more noise
http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=40590&xSec=2628

Hi garner, thanks for helping out with this. Im assuming if I was to go with a remap I would need to get this and a sports panel air filter as a minimum?

dont know about the durability of the newer recirc valve but the old ones were prone to the rubber splitting.
sports filter will probably help but wouldnt bother until its needing changed, same as the recirc valve really. if its holding then leave it your looking at another £170 on top of say £350 for remap from a retubile place

Hi,

Remapping can't void your manufactures warranty. EU Law block exemption rules manufactures out from coin this, although some dealers will say it does void!... But this is incorrect.

As long as the remapping is carried out so that the engine runs fine, then there is no problem.

I also believe that the 1.4TFSi uses a Hybrid ECU, and can't be remapped at the moment. We are working on a crack for this ECU though.

Chaps,

More help needed im afraid! Im a victim of my own stupidity.
Was hoping for a potential breakdown of kit needed for various remap stages...
My mental image is something like the following:

Forge Cold Intake
Stage 1 Remap
Brakes
Forge diverter|BOV
Sports high-flow exhaust
Stave 2 Remap

Does anyone have experience with this?
Im just trying to put the feelers out on this.

Any help would be greatly received.

J

Chaps,

More help needed im afraid! Im a victim of my own stupidity.
Was hoping for a potential breakdown of kit needed for various remap stages...
My mental image is something like the following:

Forge Cold Intake
Stage 1 Remap
Brakes
Forge diverter|BOV
Sports high-flow exhaust
Stave 2 Remap

Does anyone have experience with this?
Im just trying to put the feelers out on this.

Any help would be greatly received.

J

Hi,

Your mental image is correct, Stage 2 remap, would only be to re-look at the map file and see if there was any room for improvement with the fast-flow exhaust fitted.

JFA

JFA, so going off that logic I should really cram as many power mods in as possible so that upon stage 2 re-looking at the map file would see additional gains to make use of the new components?

JFA, so going off that logic I should really cram as many power mods in as possible so that upon stage 2 re-looking at the map file would see additional gains to make use of the new components?

yes in affect. Of corse you can't do hard modifications without a remap e.g turbo, injectors etc.

But light stuff like, exhaust, intake is fine.

We can dyno the car to before and after at our head office in Bromsgrove near Birmingham

JFA

Chaps,

Im reluctant todo anything too invasive with the car just yet.
Im wanting to chuck in a stock-replacement sports air filter to stop the gap until I plan on going full-hog with induction kit.

Something like:
http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=32847&xSec=2626

Its fifty quid, im just after thoughts from people who maybe have a vag 1.4tsi and have done something similar. Any recomendations? Or should I just chuck in the induction kit in six months as this will give me next to nothing?

Cheers gents.
J

Chaps,

Im reluctant todo anything too invasive with the car just yet.
Im wanting to chuck in a stock-replacement sports air filter to stop the gap until I plan on going full-hog with induction kit.

Something like:
http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=32847&xSec=2626

Its fifty quid, im just after thoughts from people who maybe have a vag 1.4tsi and have done something similar. Any recomendations? Or should I just chuck in the induction kit in six months as this will give me next to nothing?

Cheers gents.
J

I would wait and get a full cold air induction kit.:blink1: