new problem with my corsa

jon121

Tuner
Car
corsa c 12v
iv only owned my corsa for about 2months and iv already had to replace the full gear linkage which cost me £150. I was driving home the other day and just when i was pulling into my village i heard a massive clunk sound as if something had fallen from underneath and was being dragged along. I had to get the car towed to the garage today and apparently the CV joint has gone and possibly the driveshaft. It makes a loud clunking noise if the engine is started. Hopefully its just the CV joint, but does anyone know if its likley to be the drive shaft aswell by the description iv given? thanks

It sounds a bit more internal than CV joint. You say it does it when you start the car? Well this would indicate something like crank, cam shaft bearing of some sort. The cv joint and drive shaft will make a sound only when the car is moving, not when its started up. So with that, does it make the sound on start up or when the car is moving (it will be both if its when the engine is running)

no it doesnt drive. it had to be towed 4miles and for that time it was making the horrible noise all the way. im really hoping its just the cv joint becuase i dont particularly want to fork out for a new drive shaft aswell. if it was just the cv joint would it be making this noise?

if i turn the engine on, then it sounds ok, but as soon as i touch the clutch and try to use the gears the noise starts. i should hopfully have it back from the garage tonight and i'l report back what the problem was. thanks for the feedback

not sure when it was last serviced, iv only had the car for about 2months though. I think its up for MOT in july, so its been a while. I got the car back last night and luckily it was only the CV joint that needed replacing so cost me £50 plus labour.

It sounds like you have thrown something inside the gear box. My scooby went through somethign like this when it decided to throw 3rd gear and ended up shredding 2 thirds of the teeth off the cog. I had to have 3rd gear, and the lay-gear between 2nd and 3rd plus the one between 3rd and 4th replaced. £860 it cost me but that had the exact same symptoms. Sounded fines when not driving but as soon as i press the clutch and select gear etc, it made the most awful sound. So hope it's nothing like that or you may be looking at a new gearbox.

no, fortunatly it was only the cv joint, but i had the gear linkage replaced last week, so ive spend about £200 on repairs in total and only had the car for 2months! although the cv joint has been replaced i cant help but think that the drive shaft should have been replaced aswell becuase when i get up to about 80mph+ i can feel the car shaking quite a bit. one of the front tyres is slightly buckled but not a fail on MOT apparently. would this be making it shake or would it be something more serious. baring in mind it is only a 1l car and probably cant handle much more speed than that anyway lol

your wheel bearing could of gone aswell. or some of the wieghts have gone of the wheel. does that help?

yeah i think it could either be wheel bearings or buckled wheel. the garage told me i can get the buckled wheel sorted out for about £30 which seems good to me. i'll get this fixed and then see if the problem persists thanks for the help