Elan & Robin Hood

Attachments

• BANDSAW (1) reduced.jpg
    BANDSAW (1) reduced.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 8
  • BANDSAW reduced.jpg
    BANDSAW reduced.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 6
Good bits of kit those. I've used bigger ones when on the tools, surprising what they can cut through when set-up right.

Yup. I have been mocking up an alternator bracket this evening and had it cutting through 3 x1" aluminium. It is soooo much easier than by hand.

Will see what work I can put your way then OG! the beast is always needing something to be made ;)

That's why I have been buying all these toys! getting things made is expensive, especially if the first attempt is wrong. Making them yourself is both cheaper and more fun.

The gearbox mount cost £16 for two lumps of aluminium (needed a second as first attempt didn't work) plus £14 for a 19mm drill bit (my milling machine arbor only goes up to 16mm), a total of £30. My local CNC shop (where I bought the ally from) quoted me £80 to make, so I have saved £50 on one item (ignoring my time).

If you get stuck for anything, I am willing to have a go :)

I miss my old Little John lathe, had to sell it when I moved house, was a great bit of kit. I'm quite lucky as I have a local fabrication shop and a machine shop I give to work to who can do me personal work for a reasonable rate. When I build my bigger garage I aim to invest in some bigger tooling, I still have some stuff from my younger days, cutters and turning tools. Got my surface plate and vernier height gauge set up on the bench, doing some R&D work at present on the MG.

Another toy.

My exisitng millng machine has already become too small so I have been on the lookout for a bigger one. Ended up winning this CNC machine on eBay a few minutes ago:

THE MILLING MACHINE

• [FONT=&quot]1000W Motor
  • [FONT=&quot]Drilling Capacity : 20mm[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Face Milling Capacity : 63mm[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]End milling Capacity : 16mm[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Longitudinal travel : 350mm[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Cross Travel : 200mm[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Working table size: 600mm x 180mm[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Max distance spindle to table 400mm[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Spindle taper : MT3[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Spindle bore: 20mm[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Spindle Speed: 50 - 3000rpm[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Spindle Rotary Angle -90°/+90°[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Net weight 135Kg[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Gross Weight is 175Kg[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]1020mm x 570mm x 720mm [/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]Accessories available.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]American circuit board[/FONT]
  • [FONT=&quot]240volts 50Hz.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]All of the bearing surfaces have been reworked and are tight and smooth. The lead screws have been replaced with ball screws. Two pieces of 110mm x 110mm angle iron have been added on either side of the column to increase machine rigidity. Also has a polycarbonate splash guard. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]INDUSTRIAL PC[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Running Windows XP[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Mach3 software to run the mill (set up for this mill)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 GHz processor [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]384 MB Ram[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9.53 GB Hard drive[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]CD drive[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3.5” floppy drive[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3.5” floppy drive[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 x parallel ports[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 x USB[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Rubber keyboard[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]ELECTRONICS [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3 X STEPPER MOTORS [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[/FONT]3 X STEPPER DRIVES [FONT=&quot]BREAKOUT BOARD[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]36 VOLTS 400 WATTS LINEAR POWER SUPPLY [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]PAPST 150MM COOLING FAN[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]SHEALED CABLES TO STEPPER MOTORS[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]AN EMERGANCY STOP SWITCH IS PROVIDED BUT NOT CONNECTED[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The electronics are housed in an MDF box enclosure.[/FONT]

Good news OG, I shall start designing my temporary new front strut brace and arrange to pop down and see you sometime very soon! I am looking for functional and aesthetically pleasing all at the same time ;)
I am holding the folding as one of my engineers likes to say :amuse:

Give ma a few weeks to work out how the bloody thing works and then I will be happy to give anythnig a try :) You can have a look when you come down to see Nick and me. I will contact (well, try to) Nick tomorrow to find out if they have a date yet.

I like toys! Would be interesting to see a picture when you can. Sounds like a neat bit of kit, very much lightweight work I guess? Good enough for those elaborate parts.

:lol: What sort of things will you be Turning out then?

Made so far: Engine mount spacer, gearbox mount, engine mount solid bushes (on the lathe), alternator bracket and remote gear lever (mill and lathe). Also modified purchaced alloy pulley to fit my alternator.

Plans: I will attempt to make anything I can't buy off the shelf.

The accuracy of this machine, due to the modifications, allows me to produce items to tighter tolerances.

Just checked and the PC alone is selling for over £1000 s/h so I think I got a pretty good deal. I could sell the PC and motors and have a free milling machine plus a profit :) Getting a coolant system with it means I now have an unused system that I can sell for a few bob. It gets better and better, can't see why I hesitated :)

I was planning to repair my original (small) mill and keep for small jobs, but I may as well sell it putting funds back into the car budget and creating a little more space.

Last edited:
Certainly, what colour would you like? All you have to do is send me a small deposit so I can buy the materials, ohh, let's say £10,000 (each), and I will get right on it.

;) Just going to the cash machine now!

Ah, got yer there, cash machines won't dish out that kind of money. You will have to go into the bank and see a cashier :)

An easier way would be to do a bank transfer. PM me and I will send you my bank details by return :)

Cor look at that bad boy! :amuse: I see he's also got a heater in there for when it's cold and a fridge for his beers when it's hot! That is a man's garage for sure you have there OG :)

But where is the radio locked to radio two? No radio means no proper garage :amuse:

Ah, the radio is in the bay through the door opposite the fridge where the Elan is :)

It's tuned into Gold.

I have just started reading the instruction manuals for the CNC Mill control software - My brain hurts already! I'm glad that it was set up and running before I bought it :)