"New" Passat

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
Not impressed - the Passat has thrown a series of fault codes at me relating to emissions management and fuel/boost regulation. Curiously the A/C has decided to go AWOL at the same time as the third tranche of faults showed themselves.

Sadly I have already pumped money into buying it, plus fitted a new pair of Michelin Primacy 3 tyres on the front; full four wheel alignment; new wiper blades; plus I had the A/C re-gassed as a precaution the day after I got it.

Luck is not on my side.

That's not good buddy, I hope you get it sorted out soon. What mileage does it have on it?

Does it have the DPF? Which engine is it?

Warranty implied given it was a trade (independent dealer) car.

It's the 2.0 16 valve 1968cc TDi PD engine. Going in on Wednesday for remedial work.

Any subsequent issues and I will park it across the supplying dealers premises with a wheel clamp applied. Only moving it when an agreement is reached.

HDi is a passive bloke mostly but on this one he's prepared to match indifference with indifference

It's worth you going onto gendan site and buying a vagcom. It's a bob or two but lets you go to a dealer/garage with proof of the faults.

It's quite likely a sensor tbh, I know they can be dicky sometimes on the old 1.9 PDs, maybe the newer ones too?

Luck is rarely on my side mate. Especially with cars. Every month something goes wrong! I treat my car better then I treat my own mother! Yet it still throws a hissy. :lol:

Are these the PD engines which suffer from 'Chocolate Cams'?

Not sure - the camshaft does drive the unit injector pumps but this is a twin cam 16 valve 2.0 one rather than the 1.9 single cam. I am led to believe they are better in that respect.

Though part of me thinks that the cam problems might well be down to people using the wrong engine oil. The cam loads from the injectors are huge and as such the oil needs phonomenal sheer strength.

I think your right mate. I think it was only the 1.9 130-150pd engines that had awful issues with cams and followers dying....

IF cam wear if a feature??of this motor them I would use a high ZDDP oil as it is the zinc that helps prevent wear on cams and followers/lifters.
IF you have a DPF you will need to find out if the high zinc is detrimental to it.

All oils have a shear rating so ask the various companies tec dept boffins for them.
The higher the number the better/stronger the shear factor.

It is DPF free but as Davalav says, and I think he's probably correct, it was the 8 valve 1.9 units which suffered cam wear. I hope so anyway.

I am going to stick with VW 507.00 5w40 oil, but going to keep to changing at around 10,000 mile intervals, as opposed to the variable ones which can stretch to over 20,000 between changes.

It's still in hospital. Day THREE now!!!

Using wife's 54 plate Seat Ibiza at the moment as she is off work. 1.2 litre, THREE cylinder. It's OK in fairness, bit spineless compared to the Passat but it's driveable enough.

VW 507 is the longlife oil. I use it in my Golf on a 2 yr service but I do under 4k miles a year.

FWIW I would change filters every 5000k's or so for peace of mind ;)

If you don't do a lot of miles and short trips then you will get condensation in the sump and it won't get burned off as the engine temps won't be high enough for long enough.
Taxis do a lot of short trips BUT the engine never cools down

Last edited:
My mileage is quite high and comprise very few short trips. Hence the fact my cars run perfectly at monster mileages.

With the 10,000 change intervals and no DPF I really do have pick of the bunch when it comes to oils but the Fuchs Titan Pro C3 (5w30) I ran in the BMW is what I'm going to carry on with. It is VW 507.00 approved anyway.

I never understand why folks want to use heavier oils in high mileage cars. If your CO and HC are low (my BMW's were barely measurable even at 150,000+ miles) then clearly there's no appreciable engine wear. Therefore it's fair ro assume that the 5w30 is doing it's job perfectly, so why use anything else? Thicker oil just takes longer to get round the engine. Additionally, the oil film created by thicker oil is more likely to 'tear' than that with a lower viscosity oil.

It's served me well in the Beemer.

At 153,000 miles at MoT time I was still seeing

0.05% CO limit is 0.3%

4 PPM HC - limit is 300 PPM.

Lambda bang on 1.00 with nil fluctuation.

Clearly no appreciable engine wear.

Anyone know the difference between the Fuchs Titan GT1 Pro Flex; Pro C3 and Pro Longlife III?

They are all 5w30 oils.

I have the Passat back now - all fixed.

Last edited:
Nope - Engine Check light on again. Plugged in my T55 diagnostic handheld.

Intake manifold flap actuator motor faulty & glow plug circuit on cylinder 3 showing again. Have reset and driven it today, I suspect that it will throw a wobbler tomorrow morning at cold start.

HDi is not happy !

Nope - Engine Check light on again. Plugged in my T55 diagnostic handheld.

Intake manifold flap actuator motor faulty & glow plug circuit on cylinder 3 showing again. Have reset and driven it today, I suspect that it will throw a wobbler tomorrow morning at cold start.

HDi is not happy !

Not good result at all :sad2::mad:
Seems like the repair/fix lasted till the money was in the bank;)

Thankfully I'm not paying - this is warranty work.

It's a shame really 'cos I do want to like the car, but that's not going to be easy if I don't trust it.

The 2.0 PD diesels aren't the silkiest of four cylinder diesels but I'll give it its due - it's economical and pretty rapid in the midrange. Handles and stops well too.

Last edited: