New (old) car, what mods?

stevezx7r

Car
Avensis 1.8
Hi guys, I've just bought a year 2000 Toyota Avensis. It's the 1.8 model (non vvti) petrol. I'm just wondering what modification you would suggest to increase performance? I'm looking at getting a set of alloys for a start but I'm not sure what else can be done to the car. Can the ECU be changed? Maybe the air flow could be helped with an after market air filter?

As a side note, I have noticed that the clutch pedal travels a lot before it bites so it's looking like I may need a new clutch soon (or can the clutch cable be adjusted?). Also, it seems to have a flat spot at 4k rpm. I'm giving it a good look over tomorrow and will be giving it a full service this weekend.

Sorry for all the questions ;)

Steve.

It's the engine used in the Corola E (7A-FE) which Toyota carried over to the first generation of Avensis. Sometimes known as the leanburn engine due to it's decent MPG.

EDIT - - I should have said it's based on the Carina E model.

Last edited:
7A FE family hardly goes for 105-115 bhp.

if you go for a better after market air intake that should get you minimum of 8hp

and with decatting exhaust pipe and straighting it till to hawlar should get you another 10 bhp.increasing exhaust pipe would be extra beneficial.

anyway this would reduce fuel effeciency but increase performance without changing the original ecu.

See "building a 7a-ge engine" on your computer. Personally I have fitted MK3 Golf GTi alloys & new 195x60/r15 Goodyear tyres, front and rear upper suspension struts, fast road front discs & pads, exhaust wrap, K&N 57i induction kit, 2.5" big bore exhaust system (decat) & lowering springs (35cm). Thats given me a noticeable 12/15 bhp increase, I am now on the lookout for a cheap 1600cc MR2. 4a-ge cylinder head to build a 130MPH n/a 7a-ge engine. Hope this helps! Regards sir2you.