New Mondeo thoughts

Aerial Andy944

The Torque Meister
Car
VW Golf GT TDi 200
Went with my Father in Law to test drive the new Mondeo yesterday. Thoughts? For all the hype of BMW quality and all I wasn't struck on it. Drove the petrol 1.5 ecoboost Titanium. 160hp but it sounds very course over 4000 revs, was gutless until you got to those revs and then it was lets say progressive, didn't feel urgent at all and not confidence inspiring to attempt anything but the simplest of overtakes.
They've simplified the dash so not many buttons now with a central touch screen taking most of the functions.
Handbrake is now a plastic button so something else to break.
So not that impressed for £24000 but Father in Law liked it and bought one. Arriving in April. I think I'll stick with my trusty Golf.

I'm not a great fan of the smaller Ecoboost engines. The 2.0 is nice but at 240bhp it's not really Eco. The one I would like to try is the 3 cylinder 1.0 litre. 3 cylinder engines are frequently smoother than four cylinder ones at higher revs.

Big grille stuff is worrying me too. Peugeot were at it in 2007 with the 407 Coupe.

For the market the Mondeo is aimed at the ecoboost was both unrefined and underpowered for the size and weight of the car. Father in Law went for the 2.0 tdci as the extra torque and refinement of the engine suited better

I was watching the Dave channel on Sky very recently where an episode of Top Gear had the guys absolutely raving about the Mondeo o_O

Ford seem to be morphing into an Aston Martin design, the Ka and fiestas particularly the lights hark to the AM design!

Never been happy with build quality or materials used. We did look at fords briefly but the interiors and fabrics left us cold! They are improving though. I think Vauxhall interiors have always been a little more nicely appointed.

Interesting - my father in law has a 58 plate new shape Mondeo, it's not quite the same as the facelift one you had but it's lovely inside and really well built.

Everyone bangs on about perceived build quality but on my 10.5 year old focus everything is just as well screwed together and tight and rattle free as it was at 18 months old when we bought it.

As to the FIL's Mondeo, it drives superb, probably because it has the 2.5T engine in it, same as Volvo T5s and the Focus STs. (;->

Drinks a bit but not too bad.

I'm not a fan of humungous great grilles.

And tragically smaller forced induction engines are now the norm across the board for new cars of all kinds, from M3s to Fiat 500s...

I wonder when the EU will slap a ban on V8's and V12's?

Mind you, the Focus ST is rather... Underpowered. Its no sloutch though, but I think they could have easily squeezed 300bhp out of that engine. Probably didnt want the lesser model to show up the RS!

The makers would come with a hybrid V12 option, even Porsche and Ferrari are looking at regenerative braking and hybrid setups.

I wonder when the EU will slap a ban on V8's and V12's?

Mind you, the Focus ST is rather... Underpowered. Its no sloutch though, but I think they could have easily squeezed 300bhp out of that engine. Probably didnt want the lesser model to show up the RS!
Well aye - but if they'd have made the ST proper quick to begin with they'd not have been able to make money flogging Mountune upgrades. The fact that the 260bhp Mountune is Ford warranted shows it could easily have been that from the start.