New Monaro VXR8 has an automatic option!

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
The new vauxhall Monaro will be the first car with a VXR badge which can be ordered with an Auto gearbox. Do you think many people will take up this option?

£34,995 6.0-litre V8, 420PS, 0-60mph in 4.9 secs or + £1400 & around 5.4 secs to 60 in the Auto.

i cant think of any reason why people would have the auto over the manual, their not as quick off the line and their not as fun, plus they tend to use more fuel

Love auto's provided they're mated to muscular and free revving engines. That means NOT diesels. Muscular, yes, revving free, NOPE. And I drive a lively diesel which would be spoiled by an auto.

Stiggy, drive a big V8 powered auto it will change your whole opinion on this. If I put my foot down at 30-40mph, my auto kicks down and I can brake Jo's butterfly hair clips between her head and the headrest of the seat. I don't do it on purpose but it has happened on a few occaisions.

I would much rather go for the VXR500. Couple of reasons, 1 it's manual, 2 it's £3000 cheaper than the standard 5.7, normal 6.0 VXR and the VXR8 and reason number 3, it's the 6.0 but with a supercharger on it.

Don't ask me how the best in the range can be £3K cheaper but thats how Vauxhall wanted to do it.

I even have the brochure of all the models and it just doesn't make sense but it's better for our pockets.

ok then fingers i'll put my oppinion on hold then untill i can find someone willing to let me drive a big V8 powered auto :lol: :lol: and then i'll rethink it through then (this may take a while)

That's the spirit - auto's suit big NA petrols beautifully. Sort of ironic that we produce vehicles that can set the tyres alight in top gear and then add two grands worth of traction control to cope with the drivers weaknesses.

As for economy, no V8 is gonna be bought to save fuel so why worry 'bout' the Xmission?

And don't they make they most stonking sound under full bore acceleration.

HDi fun said:
As for economy, no V8 is gonna be bought to save fuel so why worry 'bout' the Xmission?

Mine's the most economical car I have on the road at the moment. :oops:

HDi fun said:
And don't they make they most stonking sound under full bore acceleration.

Oh yeah. 8) Especially whn your exhaust consists of two very small cherry bombs. :D

Hey Stiggy, if we meet up at an event at some point I'll take you for a burn in mine. :wink:

ooOOOoo :D sounds good fingers, just gotta try and find money from somewear to go to it lol (fingers crossed)

No there still keeping the Monaro name but for the new 4/5 door version they've just changed it to 'Monaro VXR8'

Definatly, especially as a Vauxhall is now Top Gear's best car pmsl. Never thought I would see the day that Jeremy says Vauxhall, Nice and Great Car all in the same sentance.

This is,

Correctly speaking, The Holden Monaro. Built by GM-H down-under and badged for different markets variously as a Pontiac GTO (U.S. and Canada) Chevrolet Lumina SS Coupe (Middle East and S.Africa) or Vauxhall Monaro (VXR) for the UK market.
Built by GM-H from 2001 to 2006. They shared about 75% of the Vauxhall/Opel Omega's suspension components.

The auto txmsn is the old and agricultural GM T700-R4 but with electronic control and labelled as the 4L60-E. This was rated for 360hp and broke with monotonous regularity until it was replaced for the V8 production with the stronger 4L65-E which was factory rated at 440hp.
All these 4-speeds shared the same gear ratios which were 3.06/1.625/1.0/0.7 not the best spread of gears as it gave a very low 1st gear and a big jump when going from 1st to 2nd.

The VE range (from 2007 on) now use the better 6L80-E which provides manual shiftronic control for the best of both worlds with it's better spread of six ratios.

You still can't beat a big V8 with a close-ratio 6-speed manual though. :amuse:

Last edited: