New mods you're thinking about

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Are there any recent developments or new types of modification you are thinking about?

Years ago we hadn't heard of water injection, nitrous injection or cryo treated engine blocks, these are all fairly common top end performance mods now.

There must be some more recent mods I'm not yet aware of. With the advances in metal coatings, and casting I'm sure there are probably some new options out there people haven't considered yet.

I recall an article in a motor mag where a NA RX7 motor was dynoed then dismantled,cyroed and reassembled and re dynoed and made more power.

Seemed like black magic to me at the time but when I had sone gearbox parts and drive shafts treated was told they treat a lot of race car motors etc

Last edited:
There are many coatings available today & these come to mind.
Piston skirt friction reducing
Combustion chamber ,piston top and valve coatings all designed to keep heat where it does the most work and reduce temps of the part coated.
Oil shedding coatings to the block to get oil back in the pan where it is needed.
Ceramic coatings for turbo housings and headers/manifolds.

If I could see a significant increase in durability over what I have now I would jump all over it , as it is my old sled is 49 years old technology . I just finished building a TO4E 60 turbo for the old sled and hope for a HP increase ( 366 rwhp now) . If it does anything at the track I will post the results . Mike

why cant they invent a decent DPF that lasts the duration of a cars life ??

'They' have, ie the first generation ones which employed active regeneration and fuel borne chemical catalysts. This was circa 2001. Long before most people had any knowledge of DPFs.

'They' have replaced them with the current setup because it's cheaper to manufacture.

'They' have, ie the first generation ones which employed active regeneration and fuel borne chemical catalysts. This was circa 2001. Long before most people had any knowledge of DPFs.

'They' have replaced them with the current setup because it's cheaper to manufacture.
And they make money replacing them and fixing them! Engineered obsolescence.

A pipe where the dpf sits is a giveaway. They also measure the emissions so can deduce from that if a dpf has been removed.

so I guess there's nothing on the market that's better than the OEM DPF ?
Not really, Sport DPF's do not really exist yet, they will arrive, and will cover a larger surface area but this will just mean they take more time to clog up.

Mount the DPF closer to the engine and you'll have less trouble, more heat = less problems. Heat coating or wrapping the exhaust up to the DPF will also help a little.