New head unit installed, car is now playing up, any ideas?

jonski

Wrench Pro
Car
1.25 Mk 4 Fiesta
I just installed a dvd player in my car the other day and ever since the car has been hesitating when accelerating, even when just revving in neutral the car will drop from about 1k rpm to 500ish when it feels like its about to stall (in neutral! lol you can imagine what its like when im actually driving). Aft it drops or about 2 or 3 secs it will then accelerate up as normal. It does this normally at the start, and then randomly whilst im driving, ill be doing 60 and ill ahve the accelerator flat down an it just wont go any faster for 5-10 secs before bursting into life.

As far as i know everything on the dvd player is wired up correctly i was using harness adaptors so it its not asif i could have f*cked much up and everything seems unrelated, im just wondering if its a coincidence that theyve happened at the same time or have you any ea what the problem could be? Cheers

Sounds like a coincidence. Check the fuses as one may have blown.

Next unplug the radio and see if the problem remains.

ive unplugged the radio an it still happens but i think the problem was that i disconnected the battery when i installed it and that has rebooted the engine management system and until it re-programmes itself, im just gonna have to grin an bear it i guess

Check your engine for vacuum leaks, then mabey the Maf or air flow sensor.
Does your speedo still work, and is it electrical or mechanical? I have had a few cars where the adapter looms have connected the vss to gnd - that's the speed sensor - without that signal your ecu can get a bit grumpy.

Most modern cars supply the speed signal to the radio to allow automatic volume control.

Give it a couple of hundred miles for the ECU to relearn the parameters for your engine and see what gives then. My car gets lumpy after a battery disconnect until it learns the new airflow rates.

Give it a couple of hundred miles for the ECU to relearn the parameters for your engine and see what gives then. My car gets lumpy after a battery disconnect until it learns the new airflow rates.
like waynne said most new cars learn when theres a problem etc like an air leak or something and it gets use to it and then when its fixed it takes a good 100 miles to relearn how the engine is running, im tired so try and make sense of that gobble de goop

Did your original for unit get louder the faster you drove ?
Gansta has a point, by shorting a 12v to ground it could ave bown a fuse. SO that might be a good place to start (even check the ones under the bonnet)