New girl here! Clio Mk2 1.2

rachelinalou

Car
Clio 1.2
Hi everyone,

At the moment I have a Mk2 Clio 1.2 Dynamique which is hopefully going to be my first ever mod :) She may be a 51 plate but only has 24k on the clock and is just getting started! Just serviced it with my brother at the weekend which gave me a lot of satisfaction and made me realise I defo want to do a few things to it. I have a few plans but not too sure how to go about some of them! These include:

- Bigger alloys (but I'm not sure what size I can get up to, I know I need to be careful with a Clio and I don't want to have to do anything to the arches)
- Lowered (I was thinking just 35mm?)
- Limo black tints on rear windows and rear windscreen, maybe a lesser tint everywhere else
- Sports exhaust (then I'll have to replace the bumper of course)
- Colour coding rub strips etc
- Carbon fibre wrapping badges, wing mirrors (?), spoiler (?)
- Interior lights (I don't know the proper term for this lol)
- Smoked tail lights and maybe angel eyes
- Also thinking about debadging, but not the main badges

Let me know what you think, I'd be really grateful for some advice - my brother and dad know a lot about tuning and styling but they're so laid back that they don't really voice their opinions on my plans :confused:

I do want to do things under the bonnet as well, but I get the impression that I'm not going to make too much difference to my wee car's performance...

I'm sure this could be a really nice first mod and a hot hot hatch! :blink1:

Hi welcome! Hope you enjoy the forum.:D

I would focus more on styling mods than peformance mods with the clio.

A 1.2 is not likely to see much power gains for the cash spent on the engine. A good set of alloys, sports exhaust for some engine sound, lowered suspension and a 35% tint would work nicely.

Hi thanks!

Yes I agree, I just don't want to be one of these idiots who sticks all sorts of rubbish on their car and thinks that makes it faster! Is there nothing at all that can be done to improve the acceleration, even just around town?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome. Let the leg humping begin...

- Bigger alloys (but I'm not sure what size I can get up to, I know I need to be careful with a Clio and I don't want to have to do anything to the arches)
I'd imagine 15 or 16s would be ideal. I'd probably fit the wheels from the Clio Cup as a nice little upgrade.

- Lowered (I was thinking just 35mm?)
Definitely lower it but what you go for entirely depends on both usage and budget. Lowering springs will be fine for a subtle drop and a car that is used around town. Coilovers will be enable adjustability and help the handling but cost a lot more for a decent set.

- Limo black tints on rear windows and rear windscreen, maybe a lesser tint everywhere else
I wouldn't tint the windows, it'll look chavvy and it's illegal on the front anyway.

- Sports exhaust (then I'll have to replace the bumper of course)
It'll give you a nice sound but nothing more tbh. Maybe a slightly better throttle response and the misconception it's faster now it makes noise lol. You could just cut the bumper to allow for the tailpipe. An exhaust fitting place should be able to do this.

- Colour coding rub strips etc
May as well. Now depends on if you're going to get them done properly or rattle can them.

- Carbon fibre wrapping badges, wing mirrors (?), spoiler (?)
Carbon fibre wrap just looks fake imo (because it is). It's fine on something relatively small bt anything big is definite no from me.

- Interior lights (I don't know the proper term for this lol)
If you're talking footwell lights then imo they look quite chavvy. If you're talking normal interior lights then you can LEDs from eBay that improve the lighting.

- Smoked tail lights and maybe angel eyes
Angel eyes have been done to death and tbh they look rubbish. Aftermarket lights tend to be pants anyway and steam up a lot (I once had a set and they did this all the time). Smoked tail lights can look good if done in a subtle manor and not just blacked out.

- Also thinking about debadging, but not the main badges
Simple and free mod. Go for it! It looks much better too.

That's my 2 pence but remember it's you car so it's your choice.

Thanks very much Prince I appreciate your help :) I disagree about the tinted windows though :p

That was a quick reply! As I said it's your car so it's your choice. Just don't be suprised if you have to take the front tints off if you get them. The other problem with tints is that if you're young, and your local police force aren't too friendly it can cause you grief.

If it was my car then I'd just drop it over a nice set of rims. It's never going to be fast but it can look good and be fun.

It's because I'm excited about this project!

No you're right, I'm not getting tints on the front - I thought it was legal to have a small amount but I'm not going to bother if I'm just going to get stopped for it. Waste of time.

I was thinking of 172/182 alloys, they're the same as Cup ones, no?

Saving up for coilovers now, well after I've paid off my new plate :p

Hello and welcome to the forum,and good luck with the project i,m sure you,ll get it to the way you want and i,m sure it,ll look good.

It's because I'm excited about this project!

No you're right, I'm not getting tints on the front - I thought it was legal to have a small amount but I'm not going to bother if I'm just going to get stopped for it. Waste of time.

I was thinking of 172/182 alloys, they're the same as Cup ones, no?

Saving up for coilovers now, well after I've paid off my new plate :p

5 more posts and you can post up some pictures!

Yes they are the same as the Cup alloys. I'd probably go with the 172 alloys but once again, it's your choice.

What coilovers are you planning on using as someone may have experience with them? Just avoid eBay rubbish.

182 wheels FTW.
i12103.jpg

Haha I'm so showing my lack of knowledge here, was looking on eBay before you sent that! Where am I supposed to go then?! Lol.

Yup will be good to get some pics up, not because I imagine anyone will be interested in looking at them, but just for myself, to give an incentive to actually work on it :)

Those bad boys are the ones I've been eyeing up ;)

Haha I'm so showing my lack of knowledge here, was looking on eBay before you sent that! Where am I supposed to go then?! Lol.

Yup will be good to get some pics up, not because I imagine anyone will be interested in looking at them, but just for myself, to give an incentive to actually work on it :)

Those bad boys are the ones I've been eyeing up ;)

See this link. It's the first after I googled 'Renualt Clio coilovers' but I've only heard good things about the website. The Bilsteins or the KW v3s will be the best, but also the most expensive. Have a gander and get an idea of price. Expect to pay £700ish upwards for something decent and remember you get what you pay for.

If you want more than height adjustability then you may want to get adjustable top mounts as well but imo this is going too far on a 1.2 Clio (unless you've got engine swap plans for the future).

I'm sure most of us will check out the pictures. We all have to start somewhere!

Welcome to TorqueCars!

Not a lot I could add as Prince has hogged the advice part. :lol: I would recommend getting the handling spot on, so saving for a decent kit is always worth it.

Hi there, I hope you are well. May I wish you a warm welcome to TorqueCars, it is a pleasure to meet you.

You'll find us a pretty friendly bunch and I'm sure you'll start to love and enjoy the forums as much as we all do. (It gets quite addictive at times.)

Feel free to get involved in our other threads, all opinions are welcome and as they say "the more the merrier"! (It's also great when people start new threads and discussions and all adds to the great debate.)

Keep us up to date with your project as well, we like to see what people are getting up to with their cars.

welcome to the forum

This sounds like a real good 1st project - keep us all updated, and eventually some pics :)

May I as the site admin wish you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars. It is really nice to meet you and I hope you'll be spending some time with us over the months to come.

You'll find us one of the friendliest and most helpful car tuning forums around.

What plans do you have for your car? I'm sure we can give you lots of ideas and suggestions if you need any.

Do feel free to chip in on our other topics and discussions, we are all here to share our passion for cars. Being friendly and helpful is a forum rule here and I'm sure you'll fit in just fine.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back