New forum for DIY tips

Here it is as promised a brand new forum for DIY tips and guides.

Feel free to post up your (ORIGINAL) articles and ideas for DIY tips. You may also post up questions and add to or comment on guides in here.

(That way we get a broad overview of opinions which is what we are all here for anyway.)

TRY and keep this for DIY Guides and Tips only
Please do not ask questions in this section

Last edited by a moderator:
1) Self-installing lambo doors would have been easier with a guide.
2) READY install a split bonnet - a guide would be GREAT! I would pay!
3) Small painted racing stripes.
4) Basic near-show quality audio amplifier installs /general wiring how-to's (I found out quickly you shouldn't tape power and audio wires together-even if it does make the job tidier, and even if they do go to the same place!).

1) Self-installing lambo doors would have been easier with a guide.
2) READY install a split bonnet - a guide would be GREAT! I would pay!
3) Small painted racing stripes.
4) Basic near-show quality audio amplifier installs /general wiring how-to's (I found out quickly you shouldn't tape power and audio wires together-even if it does make the job tidier, and even if they do go to the same place!).

Basic amp install guide done.

Maybe it hasn't picked up popularity in the UK yet, but Remote turbo installs are hot in the US. Many parts are very cheap in China, and the whole package is usuaully around 1,500 GBP installed for a twin turbo V8.

driveway DIY ??

A certain "video hosting site" (in case I can't say names here) had a LED-strip DIY video to convert standard headlights into the R8 style .. I'll have to find that one.

Claymore was looking into a remote turbo. Tell us more or PM me with some links and I'll do some digging around and see what I can turn up.

ststurbo.com - they're a US based company, not far form my last duty station. The cars HAULED with no lag. I didn't like the concept initially, but first hand I'll say they work!

The only thing i would be worried about is decompressioning the head...turbo's are lower compression generally speaking.

Up to what temp is a regular paint in a spray can good for ?
Can it be used in engine mounting chassis components, or will it flake off ?
Normal spray paint is fine for the rocker cover and intake plenum etc. It will dull after time but its cheap to remedy. If the engine gets hot enough to affect the paint you will have bigger worries than the paint!!

With our weather in the UK a solar panel is a bit of a non starter! Electric turbos are really not worth thinking about. Even if you can provide the current they pull they will not shift anywhere near as much air as a real turbo or supercharger.

eriy just to elaborate on hdi's sense of humor if you misread it. he doesnt like getting his hands dirty (but he will change a bulb if need be:amuse: lamp for you paul;))

but the guide would be much appreciated to nearly all on here!!!

Maybe it hasn't picked up popularity in the UK yet, but Remote turbo installs are hot in the US. Many parts are very cheap in China, and the whole package is usuaully around 1,500 GBP installed for a twin turbo V8.

driveway DIY ??

Remote turbos run cooler, but the hassle is the plumbing involved.