New Exhaust System

T9 man

TC ModFather
Car
Saab 9-3SS T9
Ok, So if i'm not cancelled again!!! I shall be at Simpson Race Exhaust on Thursday for a new system! :)
These chaps make up their own silencers to make the sound you want :love:

Will post up some pics when the job is done! any tips or pointers from my TC Peers out there? I already have a 3" DP with a 200-cell sports CAT and these will definitely be retained! :)

302 grade stainless steel with some kind of gas purged welding thingy! ;)
I know its all very technical sounding :lol:
But I trust them, as they have an envious reputation in the motorsports world :amuse:

I thought 304 was the grade of s/s used for exhausts? I'm suprised you haven't gone titanium yet!

:lol: I want to buy nearly £4k of Carbon Fibre exterior panels in the next two months, have to make a compromise somewhere! :lol:

I keep chuckling away here, I think her indoors is booking me up for a check up from the neck up! :lol:

I keep chuckling away here, I think her indoors is booking me up for a check up from the neck up! :lol:

im so glad my poverty keeps the upper class amused.

im so poor lenny henry is quiting his documentry of dudley's poor familys and solely concentrating on helping me:toung:

:lol: I want to buy nearly £4k of Carbon Fibre exterior panels in the next two months, have to make a compromise somewhere! :lol:

£4K of CF? My kind of man! What are you getting and where from?

Compromise, I have heard this word before, what does it mean? :)

Directly from Hirsch in Sweden OG! it's very expensive for what it is but what can I do?

Ooops! sorry OG! Rear Air Diffuser, side sills, door pillars, front spoiler and front bumper middle section!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh that's just ruddy great! another phone call for another cancellation!!! something or another's crucial hizmo gizmo has broken! :sad2:
Another date to be sorted out soon :)
Not ordinarily a superstitous person! but this exhaust is looking like it was never meant to be :sad2:

Directly from Hirsch in Sweden OG! it's very expensive for what it is but what can I do?

Ooops! sorry OG! Rear Air Diffuser, side sills, door pillars, front spoiler and front bumper middle section!

£4k for that lot doesn't sound too bad, assuming it includes delivery and the quality is up to scratch.

Are the sills and pillars cosmetic?

£4k for that lot doesn't sound too bad, assuming it includes delivery and the quality is up to scratch.

Are the sills and pillars cosmetic?

The pillars and the sills are cosmetic, the front spoiler, front bumper middle section and the rear air diffuser are direct replacements. These are a few photos of the MapTun monster that came over from Sweden for the Snetterton track day that had the CF kit fitted.

DSCN1801.jpg

37af505a.jpg

SN11-1.jpg

I'd go for a 150 cell cat and have a pair of tail pipes on either side of the rear bumper. Looks smart and alot more cemetrical to look at. OPlus you get double the exhaust note :)

Titanium.... Do it.

:bigsmile: Will get them to price for this as well, got an email from them last night, i'm going there tomorrow morning at 7:30am :amazed: for a survey and design quotations! should be interesting!

I'd go for a 150 cell cat and have a pair of tail pipes on either side of the rear bumper. Looks smart and alot more cemetrical to look at. OPlus you get double the exhaust note :)

Already have this done except I have the 200cell sports CAT. The exhaust note is one of the things I would like to change, the idling rumble is perfect however.
CAR20.jpg

Well now, that was interesting! Just got back from Simpson Race Exhausts and a long chat with the legendary Matt. What a place that is to find! :confused:

After some poking and prodding, a few sharp intakes of breath, and with some beard and head scratching thrown in :)
Matt comes up with £900 plus the dreaded for a system to start from the 3" Down Pipe, with 3" stainless steel 304 pipe used throughout, a specially constructed middle box with two bespoke rear mufflers and 100mm rolled tips.
Very happy with this! job to be done in May with the exact date to be confirmed on Monday. :bigsmile:

I did however ask him about Inconel (never heard of this before) :embarrest: which is a much lighter material (and is actually used in Formula One!) than the stainless steel and can work to a much higher temperature! times the original quotation above by four and this might just get you an Inconel setup :amazed:

Titanium?? forget it! :lol:

Wow! That's expensive. But I'm sure it'll be worth it!

I thought it was a touch expensive as well Prince, after all, it's coming from the bottom of the 3" DP and out to the back of the car! Apparently the cost is in the design and manufacture of the 1 middle box and two rear boxes which they actually make to my requirements onsite.
So when you look at it like this, not too bad a price really!

Don't worry T9, that's not expensive that's the going rate. Primary Designs will also make you an exhaust out of Inconel. It has more Nickel and Chrome than stainless steel and is stronger when heated. Another useful property is the hotter it gets, the stronger it gets! It doesn't creep as much as stainless either so is more resistant to cracking. Thinner walls can be used and so you also get a lighter product.

Also if you're thinking of comparisons with Powerflow and that rubbish, Simpsons, PD et al are in a totally different league. You get what you pay for!

You are right off course MA! Such a pity that I have to wait sooo long, but I suppose the fact that I do, proves that I am in the right place for the system to be fitted ;)

Of course lol. All the top level workmanship that's gone into your car is awe-inspiring. I for one look forwards to seeing and hearing your car in the metal one day!

Thank you kindly MA! :bigsmile: hopefully you can make it to Santa Pod later in the year for the possible TC meet up!
I think I am going to post up a You Tube quick video after the NOS and new exhaust system have been fitted!
To tell you the truth MA! i'd love to hear the car myself :lol: That's the problem when you drive it, as you can't appreciate the sound like those who are actually stood behind it when it launches! but I was told at Snetterton that it sounds great, even now! :)

I was going to Germany next Friday to push the old girl flat out on the Autobahn, but now that I am having the NOS kit fitted and the Simpson exhaust, it will have to wait until the summer now :sad2:

Marvellous! just got my phone call with the exact date from Simpson's, the Installation will start on Saturday the 7th of May at 08.00 and be ready to collect, wait for it! Tuesday the 10th!

That wasn't in the script :sad2:

They did not explain this to me on Saturday while we were blipping and blahing away :amazed:
I know they make the stuff, but the pipe as well?
I thought it came in on a length and they cut off what they wanted :embarrest:

Still reeling from the shock, time for a lie down I think :)

Forgot to mention!
The old system which has absolutely nothing wrong with it, just me being me!
will go to a chap on the Saab Owners Club website who really really wants it! in return for this, I have asked him to donate £150 to Cancer Research UK.
Marvellous, so it's two for two! Great stuff :bigsmile:

Last edited:
To tell you the truth MA! i'd love to hear the car myself :lol: That's the problem when you drive it, as you can't appreciate the sound like those who are actually stood behind it when it launches! but I was told at Snetterton that it sounds great, even now! :)

I'll drive for you if you like? :lol:

Marvellous! just got my phone call with the exact date from Simpson's, the Installation will start on Saturday the 7th of May at 08.00 and be ready to collect, wait for it! Tuesday the 10th!

That wasn't in the script :sad2:

They did not explain this to me on Saturday while we were blipping and blahing away :amazed:
I know they make the stuff, but the pipe as well?
I thought it came in on a length and they cut off what they wanted :embarrest:

Still reeling from the shock, time for a lie down I think :)

Forgot to mention!
The old system which has absolutely nothing wrong with it, just me being me!
will go to a chap on the Saab Owners Club website who really really wants it! in return for this, I have asked him to donate £150 to Cancer Research UK.
Marvellous, so it's two for two! Great stuff :bigsmile:

Perfect timing for PTM!

Mate make sure you get loads and loads of pics. I am considering using Simpson for an exhaust on the FRS as Primary Designs have now stopped making them although they might make me one yet. Don't particularily want to have to settle for any snotted together crap like Milltek, Mongoose etc if I don't have to. I'm not using H&S as I have seen some good and some shocking work of theirs, very hit and miss. Even Scott at PD says Simpson are top drawer, gas purged welds etc etc.

I am only after a catback as my decat has already been ceramic coated, either 2.75 or 3" haven't decided yet. For a Mk1 FRS if you would kindly slip in a mention and see what they say? :D

Last edited:
Mate make sure you get loads and loads of pics. I am considering using Simpson for an exhaust on the FRS as Primary Designs have now stopped making them although they might make me one yet. Don't particularily want to have to settle for any snotted together crap like Milltek, Mongoose etc if I don't have to. I'm not using H&S as I have seen some good and some shocking work of theirs, very hit and miss. Even Scott at PD says Simpson are top drawer, gas purged welds etc etc.

I am only after a catback as my decat has already been ceramic coated, either 2.75 or 3" haven't decided yet. For a Mk1 FRS if you would kindly slip in a mention and see what they say? :D

No problem at all MA, consider it done! :bigsmile:

You should get a good job from Simpsons. It was a toss up between them and Primary Designs, but as I know Pat from PD as he is a frequent visitor to my engine man's workshop I went with them. If you make F1 exhausts you must be reasonable :)

Hi MA, just got off the phone to Simpson's to see if they had any cancellations so that I can bring the Beast in early but no chance :sad2:

I asked them about your car! Do you have a picture of the underneath of your car for me to show them on the day? If not, the next time your passing a Kwikfit or something maybe you could get them to pop it onto a ramp in exchange for a little drink :)
My installation date still remains as the 7th, so no hurry mate ;)