New comer fitting a turbo on a N/A engine

DIY011

Car
Fiat 131 CL
hey guys,
first of all im so happy to be here with u and i really hope i can gain more experience from u

my car is a fiat 131 stock with a SOHC engine 1600cc 84 hp and 127 newton

me and a friend started on a project fitting a turbo into N/A sahin 1600 SOHC engine and we succeeded for like 60% because we had a fail tuning the compression so it got lowered to 5 bars per cylinder

now i'm gonna start fitting a turbo to my fiat 131 engine
i won't tune the compression or compression ratio because its already 9 bars compression

now i need u guys to tell me how to know
1- which turbine would be suitable for my engine
2- whats is the best way to get higher performance with lower risk
3- how many hp and newton my engine is gonna be approximately if i boosted the turbo on 0.5 bar

PS: i know its gonna be risky and i gonna take it to learn more about turbos
my engine is a carburetor not injection
and excuse my poor english :p

thx guys ^_^

We get asked this question a lot so have a look at these threads which cover the basics. I have to admire your ambition though! And I hope you pull it off.

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f10...-engine-15003/
http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f118/fitting-turbo-some-dos-dont-s-24176

I've no experience with these engines at all. I would suggest a small turbo from a Lancia, Fiat or similar and running it at very low boost levels, gradually turning it up. Be careful with the timing and mapping. I'm hoping the engine is fuel injection, otherwise you'll have a whole host of other issues getting it to work.

I think you should aim for a power level of around 120hp as an upper limit, even this is pushing the engine quite a lot.

Cheap turbos can be purchased from breakers yards which are ideal for a try it and see type project.

Please note that I don't think it is worth adding a turbo to an old car with a small capacity engine. There is nothing stopping you but the money and hassle will just not be worth the power gain you get. It is better to just buy a better car for your tuning project.

Adding a turbo is a major engineering task and without a kit with full instructions and all the parts you need there is a big risk of blowing up the engine. Expect to spend at least 50 hours upwards on a project of this type assuming you have a ready made kit to fit. This is not the sort of modification you should undertake unless you are mechanically competent and know what you are doing.

It is worth looking at superchargers as these are generally much easier to install than a turbo is.

i've read those threads already

the turbine i wanna fit i thought i can get a volvo with AR 50 or something like that because we fitted a turbine with AR 42 and we had 0.7 bar max boost with the blow off running

i dont have the ability to buy another car for a project cause i like mine and i also have no money to buy an injection engine but maybe i can buy one later after having experience on the carb one

about the engineering i'd like to tell u that iam a mechatronics engineering student but likes to gain more experiences and as i mentioned be4 that i know its gonna be risky and im gonna take it

i just need to know what do i do to adjust the turbo on the carb and i'd like to mention that we made it on the sahin and it works but it was a must to buy another fuel pump with 3 bars pressure and adjusting it using a fuel regulaor and it worked perfectly

we already did it using an external fuel pump 4 bars pressure and a fuel regulator
it works perfectly , we adjusted the ignition timing tho
everything is fine but the problem is that we didnt gain the performance we wished to have
we boosted it into 1 bar but still dont feel like it worth the turbo

im sure that we missed up something and i think its the compression and the compression ratio because when we measured the compression we got 5 bars per cylinder

thats why i came here to ask and gain more experience on how to fit the turbo perfectly or to find out what we missed up fitting the turbo on the sahin so we can avoid it on the fiat 131

It is possible, just something I've never played with. The advance, wastegate control and throttle are all key factors here.

Start off low boost and gradually tweak up the boost checking the afr all the time keeping it within tolerances.

Didn't the Metro 1.3 turbo have a carb engine? This may yield some clues on how it can be set up.

i need to ask for the ideal compression for the piston to the turbo
as for the compression ratio i'll calculate it the next time i replace a head gasket

one more thing obi_waynne
can i have ur facebook account or skype so i can know more about some stuff ??