New cars should just be autos. Discuss.

Yugguy

Torque King
Car
Merc C220Cdi Elegan
I submit the following proposal. Apart from certain highly-focused sports cars, all mainstream new cars should just be auto. Half the drivers these days ride the clutch pointlessly at lights, can't do hill starts etc. Autos these days are as good if not better mpgwise. The manual clutch is an anachronism.

I still think that people who can and know how to drive a manual car well should still be given the option. Auto cars are for the lazy driver. If you cannot rev match, get an auto.

I still think that people who can and know how to drive a manual car well should still be given the option. Auto cars are for the lazy driver. If you cannot rev match, get an auto.

I completely agree I've owned 1 auto and it did make me lazy and relaxed (to relaxed!) so I'm not the biggest fan
BUT the next car I'm looking at they only do it in an auto so it is a compromise I'm willing to take cause it ticks all the other boxes;)

^^ I look forward to reading all about your new chariot herb in the not too distant future :)

It's a matter of choice. I prefer autos in general but have driven many that really are not up to the job. BMW's Steptronic models are superb, especialy the ZF units.
Current car is 6 spd manual and I miss the auto in town traffic but otherwise I'll happily drive either.

The driving technique is totally different though; many manual drivers find automatics confusing. The sad thing is that these people also find toilet paper confusing so maybe I'd best shut up.

All down to choice I have owned both and would be happy with either.
Now driving a diesel and probably not going back to petrol I think an automatic might be on the cards next.
That won,t be for at least 3 years though.

I have the best of both worlds with my diesel auto 4x4 Colorado that tows my 5 speed manual Starion to the tracks.
Went auto due to heaps of manuals replacing clutches/flywheels <80,000 k's and find the auto great for inching along in heavy traffic.

I have the best of both worlds with my diesel auto 4x4 Colorado that tows my 5 speed manual Starion to the tracks.
Went auto due to heaps of manuals replacing clutches/flywheels <80,000 k's and find the auto great for inching along in heavy traffic.
There is a case for both then.
The debate about drivers will go on for ever.
I can,t help wondering that when I brought my car maybe I should have tried the auto diesel one that was for sale in similar spec after 5 months of the narrow power bands.

I've driven a couple of automatics before. A colleagues Mercedes C2.... Something or other Coupe and that was quite smooth. I still prefer manual though.

Sorry i much prefer manual the mrs has got use of a peugeot 3008,auto it use rubbish the lag between gear change is reddiculouse when it changes gear you are shoved forward when it disengages its gear and then pushed back when it locates the gear and drives again not a pleasant drive at all, it almost comes to a standstill when it changes down on a hill,it should be better as it is a turbo diesel!!!. I did have an auto granada years ago that was much better!,but as said above it did make me a lazy driver,.....so to be honest i prefer a manual box! but each to their own.

Most of my driving is in and around London which was why I bought an auto. Stop start constantly is the norm for driving in rush hour down here, but my car has the added bonus of tiptronic selection, so if I want to play with the gears then I can.

Gummy your Pug has the PSA EDC "auto" gearbox - and it's actually a manual box with an electronically controlled clutch and gear selection. It is not a proper auto and by all accounts is horrendeous wether fitted to a Pug or Citroen or any PSA car.

For autos I'm thinking of the majority of people who are clueless about how and why a car operates and handles. They brake in corners, let the engine labour in top gear up hills, ride the clutch pointlessly at traffic lights. They'd be better off with an auto box.

Gummy your Pug has the PSA EDC "auto" gearbox - and it's actually a manual box with an electronically controlled clutch and gear selection. It is not a proper auto and by all accounts is horrendeous wether fitted to a Pug or Citroen or any PSA car.

For autos I'm thinking of the majority of people who are clueless about how and why a car operates and handles. They brake in corners, let the engine labour in top gear up hills, ride the clutch pointlessly at traffic lights. They'd be better off with an auto box.

I gotta agree it is horrendous:bigsmile::bigsmile:

I really prefer manuals. Autos are what is wrong with the world today....LAZY

Each to their own but I have the best of both worlds :D

IMO without any doubt whatsoever auto is the hands down winner / best choice in heavy stop start everyday congested traffic.;)

PS manualised autos are another way to go as well if you still want to shift gears.:)

That's a fair point. It's not that I struggle with manuals, much the opposite, but I do in general prefer the effortlessness of a very good automatic 'box. Agreed, a poor auto is a dog to drive. At least a poor manual is controllable :)

I've just completed a 500 mile stint yesterday im my manual 6 spd Passat TDi (205 bhp ECU map) and I have to admit that across Snowdonia it was a great drive. Even in the best of automatics (amongst which I consider BMW's Steptonics to hold a worthy place) I still resort to manual selection of gears in some situations simply to stamp my authority over a machine that generally makes excellent decisions.

Happy and safe driving :)

Changing gear is a pleasure??

I always get a kick out of changing gears and driving smoothly and klunk free when driving my Starion that feeds 387 hp to the tyres via a solid centre 4 puck / button clutch plate :D

I am all for tiptronic gearboxes around town and have a tiptronic turbo toyota cadina GTFour n spec as a daily drive
But despite the fact that it came out the factory with trick diffs , awd , fully adjustable suspension ,strut braces etc etc. it still loses something when you are in a bend compared to a mannual car,
.i wouldnt change anything but it cannot live with a manual driven in anger.