New cars dangerous ?

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
They have improved so much since I first ventured out on the roads some 60 + years ago and that is a good thing BUT with all the modern electronics and computer controls nowadays it seems that drivers are more insulated and don't develop a feel for what is happening where the rubber meets the road.

In my travels I see many underinflated tyres some dangerously low and when possible warn the driver if I can when stopped in traffic and have seen them drive past a service station.

I am all for progress and all the technology and reliability built into new cars and that is a good thing but few seem to undertake basic checks like checking that all lights actually work and seen to think that everything will be fine till the next service interval that can be 15000 klm's and 12 months away.

The most dangerous thing in old and modern vehicles is still the nut behind the wheel. Cars don't have accidents it is the driver who loses control and crashes.

Enhanced brake assist is all well and good until a driver gets in a car without it.

Anti rollback on hills is another feature that diminishes a drivers skill.

Enhanced brake assist is all well and good until a driver gets in a car without it.

Anti rollback on hills is another feature that diminishes a drivers skill.

Plus stability and traction control that IMO can give a driver the impression that they are better than they actually are.