New Car ?

gendox

Track Warrior
Car
Pug 206 LX
Ok,i just scrapped my old rover mostly for cost reasons also today i got a letter saying that i am getting £4970.00 in the next 4 weeks from an incident that happened last year. i was wondering what car i should get. bearing in mind i only have about £3000 to spend for insurence and a little bit of debt im in im only 19 so keep it real i have 2 years ncb :D

i was thinking mg zt or zr i dunno.

ps i am looking to mod this in the future :D

Hi there mate. Have you thought about getting a Nissan 200sx turbo. An old one shouldnt be too much to insure. The trouble with Rovers and MG is that it is so hard to get parts. Honda would also be worth a look and as they made the 1.4 Rover engine you will still be on familiar ground.

Could probably get an old EK9 Civic Type R ('98 shape)

Believe its a 1.6 Vtec, rapid enough anyway.

But whether it'll be falling apart and ragged to #!#!#!#!...

Could also Lease a car... Could be in a New Civic Type R for instance, and spend 250 quid/month on that, and so long as you're earning...

*shrug* jus some ideas.

get something jap anyway mate
the money you'll save on not repaing could go towards mods

1992 sir civic straight in from japan would see you have change left from that coin
til be souped up aswell mate, and when you go to sell it next year or 2, you'll get youre money back if you look after it

i will be going down that rd in january for the brother, he is after the above car

180 bhp is nice power in a small hatch back
plus they are a rear car to get hold of, a cllectors item

You'll be pretty happy with any Nissan. The 200sx Turbo is a real peach with lots of tuning potential. I'd definately get a RWD car if I were you.

You'll be pretty happy with any Nissan. The 200sx Turbo is a real peach with lots of tuning potential. I'd definately get a RWD car if I were you.

I had one of these before I got the GTO - I only paid £1500 for it and it was very clean... absolutely loved the car and would buy another! Loads of fun and goes like a rocket when the turbo kicks in..

It was probably one of the most reliable cars I have ever owned - great on MPG and as long as I serviced it twice a year she was as sweet as a nut :)

Only thing that wasn't great was turbo lag but once you got up to 2.5 rpm then she was on fire!! I had people lining up to buy her off me when I finally sold her.

Rear wheel drive was fun too - as long as you are a capable driver then she would drift round a roundabout with ease in the wet ;) (obviously when there were no other cars around) however if you are not practiced in this then go steady - you don't want the turbo kicking in while turning on a wet surface unless you know how to handle it!

Insurance was cheap as well as they are not classed as a sports car - If my memory serves me correctly they are an executive rather than sports.

My husband works for an insurance company and apparently the price of insuring hot hatches has gone through the roof !

ohh im so confused lol i had a look at alot of cars to be fair every one i have spoke to has said about those mgs so ill srtay away from them anyone know where to get some cheep japs then had a look at auto trader tis not too good or i might just be searching for the wrong thing

That was my thinking - do a quote on-line and see what it comes back as..

Also if I had to choose between those two I would be looking at the second one.

just tried go compare.
used all my details.
24 with full license 3 years NCB license held for 6 years married no kids homeowner.
wife 25 full license license held to 8 years.
7000 miles with buisness class 1 parked ion the driveway over night
standard no mods.
ohh and TPFT

out of the 68 insurers not 1 quote

same details used with money supermarket.
again around 70 insurers only 1 was wiling to quote me
£5000 for TPFT that was with a £500 excess.

should also have said that nether of us have had any motoring convitions or claims

same details used with money supermarket.
again around 70 insurers only 1 was wiling to quote me
£5000 for TPFT that was with a £500 excess.

should also have said that nether of us have had any motoring convitions or claims

OUCH !!! would that be the Skyline out the window then? :(

yea lol out of 77 i got none oh well its was a nice idea, anywho i have seen a very nice golf 1.6 sport not to bad 109bhp ect nice big audi alloys also a golf with nice big vw rims also 1.6 spore insurance group 6 and 8 so not to bad im thinking about them what you guys think

The Gold sounds nice to me! Go for it. You can always do an engine swap further down the line and it is a good reliable base to work on anyway.

I had 200sx turbo s14a for my last car, really nice car in red with 18" rimmed connica alloys, looked awesome and turned heads, (probably cos of the exhaust noise). However it was a bit of a hand full, especially in the wet, mine was slightly modded performance wise, but if you tried to get the power down when it was damp, the wheels would just spin and you'd go no where fast, embarasing when you get beaten by a bog standard car at the lights, and watch it when you go round bends, unless your a keen drifter that is.

I think generally anything with a 1.6 litre engine is going to be between group 8 - 12 for the insurance.

If you can find a good one I'd say to get a Honda CRX. The UK V-TEC models are 150bhp and the lack of turbo helps reduce the insurance. I don't think insurance companies like the word 'turbo'! You should be able to get the hatchback version which is low and has a racy interior as standard, or the Del Sol, which is a bit more iffeminate but its a convertible coupe, and they're newer and likely to last a bit longer.

One of the good things about these cars is that they're based on Civics of the same vintage so parts are easier and cheaper to come by than for other cars, and that includes 'modifications' if you want to follow that route.

Last edited:
yea i do like the crx's always have but this might sound fussy but i have never had a newish nice car lol so thats why i was thinking audi or vw fun comfort and performance also its a bit of a badge think im tiered of explaning to girls or mates why i am spending money modding a rover lol but ill see im gonna head up to auctions who knows there might be a nice crx there anywho thanks to every one who helped anymore ideas are welcome. but atm im looking for a white audi a3 and ill get some nice audi rims and spray em black haha

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back