New camshafts for 2000 2.6L v6 vectra

pattokbox

Car
2000 Vectra 2.6 v6
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what the best camshafts would be for the y26se engine.
ive heard mention of the ones from the 3.0L fitting, but just want to double check. are they standard part u can pick up from dealer or??

any info would be greatly appreciated thanks

oh ok sounds good, so whats the difference between the 2.5 and the 3.2 cams? does it make much of a difference to performance / fuel economy? and are the custom ones a LOT better or much of a muchness?

thanks heaps for your help :)

oh ok sounds good, so whats the difference between the 2.5 and the 3.2 cams? does it make much of a difference to performance / fuel economy? and are the custom ones a LOT better or much of a muchness?

thanks heaps for your help :)

Briefly the 2.5Sri had 170bhp/170lbft, the 2.5 GSI had 190bhp, with different cams and about the same amount of torque as the later 2.6Sri.
The 2.6Sri still had 170bhp, but approx 15 more lbft of torque -185lbft. The 2.6GSI 'only' had 180bhp, but around 200lb ft, again with different cams, and was ever so slightly slower 0-60 than the 2.5GSI.

The torque figures make sense because the 2.6 is basically the 2.5 with a longer stroke, and larger CCs make more torque. Same with 3.0 and the 3.2, 3.2 being a stroked version of the 3.0.

If you do the cam swap and a remap for it, and induction/exhaust, I think you can get around 200bhp out of the 2.6 but like I said, a lot of people have done the engine swap, which with the 3.2 gives you 220bhp/215lbft straight out of the box, and is a relatively easy swap in. Plus if you do a cam swap you do need to remap.

I had a 2.6Sri, X-reg from new as company car for 50k miles, never missed a beat and the engine made a lovely sound.

have a look here for cams and prices:

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/

Cheers.

excellent thanks guys for the advice and figures, i have been looking into the engine swap, seems like a pretty straight forward exercise, could i put the cams in then the engine at a later date, funds are a little bit low atm. bigger engine would be amazing but dont want it to turn into a massive hassle

Cheers