New bigger alloys, drastic drop in mpg??

just had work done on back brakes so all fine and front discs only 6 months old.

i half filled her up again tonight, i then did a 25 mile journey and by 10 miles in the needle was beginning to drop from the half way point to the next point on the fuel gauge. in fairness it went back up a bit but then when i had finished my journey it had drop to beneath the point below half.

hdi i was just thnkingof doing that with each wheel. im thinking another option is maybe go for some team dynamics pro wheels, each 15" weighs 6.9kgs. not sure if this is superlite until i weigh the ones i have...

The weight difference would have to be enormous to make this kind of difference to fuel usage. The only way to get a proper figure is to fill the tank to the brim, drive the car and refill, noting mileage at each point.

Needle positions on fuel gauges are largely useless. On board computers can be inaccurate as well.

Thanks garner and hdi.

Pgarner, the fact that you've changed to larger wheels and noticed no difference confirms my confusion. If that makes sense. Although i must add, a slight alteration such as wheel width and surface area on the road will affect my 75bhp clio far more than it will you 184.6 bhp bora.

yeah but id was the same on my civic went from the standard 14 to wider 15s for more grip and yeah there was a little drop but only maybe 1 mpg.

let us know how you get on when you swap back

HDi i agree fuel guages are totally 'chocolate kettle', but the change in fuel figures has been instant, so much so its been like a slap in the face. Im going to see how much i get out of her over the next few days, there's are large dent in the fuel amount already and ive only done 45 miles. Before the new wheels i could go a fair distance before the needle even moved.

oh well, we'll see what happens by the weekend.

Thanks again.