wezzel98765

Road Burner
Car
Renault Clio 1.2 8V
Hey there guys...

Apparant stats of my car:

1.2 3d 8V 14.5 s 100 mph 60 bhp

Conditions of test:

2am - Nice smooth A road - Effing freezing :) - 2 people in the car.

The launch was absolutely amazing, I was hitting 27mph pretty much off the line, something I don't think I could do repeatedly :)

My overall 0 - 60 time was in fact.... 11.8!!!

I am ashamed that I didn't have this videoed as this might be hard to prove to some people. The test was conducted with a motion sensor connected to a PC that sensed when the car gained speed, and was connected to a GPS satellite to sensor when the speed reached 60 MPH (much more accurate than a standard speedo recording)

Feel free to ask anything :)

Last edited:
For a 1.2 Clio that is pretty good, about a second quicker than the claimed stats :D. The cold air would definately help along with the mods you have done.

However anything over 9 seconds is pretty slow IMHO.

For my Clio, it is just over 2 and a half seconds faster :)

I got the MK2 Clio with only 8 Valves :(, which is rated at 14.5 seconds for a 0-60 time :)

Last edited:
However anything over 9 seconds is pretty slow IMHO.

That's a bit harsh. 11.8 secs from a 1.2 with two people in it is pretty good. With just the driver it would probably have got close to dipping into the 10s. There will be a lot of cars with bigger engines out there that couldn't match that.

Hi!! I don't what to be a the one that contradicts you but... the factory readings are (from what I know) from 0-100KPH... meaning that your reading should be from 0-62MPH... (it's somethimes considered to be from 0-60MPH in countries with MILES as a way of measurement since it is a more round number but in reality european car are tested in kph...)you will see that there is quite a difference in time + cars that are not new tend to get a little faster (they "loosen up"). I also have the 1.2 8v and I am so happy when someone makes one go faster... I haven't tested the 0-100kph myself because I fear I'll break a gear or something...:lol:

and one more thing...(mine has only 58bhp). I have fully serviced it (cam belt , filters... the lot) and can't get it to go over 87Mph (140kph):sad2:(with only me on board...65kilos:lol:... and a few lugguages...)... and I can't figure it out why... why is yours that fast???:blink: and I'm thinking that something is wrong with my engine that nobody can figure it out...:confused:

Hey there buddy, well you could probably add 0.5 seconds onto my time then if you may ;)

Regarding your second post,

Sounds quite interesting. There shouldn't be a reason it can't go over 87mph. Do you have a rev counter in your car mate?

Regards

Yes I do... and it won't go over aprox 4.5k rpm (although I really can't remember my exact revs were when I was going at that speed). Anything between 0-87mph revs very nice and I have good acceleration, although I can't really compare it because I haven't driven a similar clio and it goes smooth up to 87 then it is like the engine suddenly died and won't go over that speed. I have 60K km (37k miles) on the clock and as I said a fully serviced car... (I didn't buy it as a new car though). Can't really figure it out:blink:

I checked the cable and it doesn't seem to be loose, if I did it properly... I checked how far the throtlebody opens manually from the engine bay and then asked a friend to push the pedal down... and it went all the way...

I'm starting a new thread since this doesn't seem to solve the problem and I have many more questions.

Last edited:
With your friend pushing the pedal down see if the throttle at the engine end is fully open. If there is a bit more slack to take up then tighten it and you'll have full acceleration.

Have you fitted bigger wheels to it? That can alter the gearing and speedo readings.

Compression might be down, there could be an electrical or fuel issue or it might be a dodgy sensor causing the power loss. Its pretty hard to put a finger on it.

Not point shooting in the dark Feingreth, few hundred quid and lots of time later you still might not have solved the problem. Get some sort of diagnostic/fault code check done along with a compression and leakdown test.

I have a diagnostic tool that can read faulty codes and it doesn't have any... but I must check the compression. I know that it's a pluggy thing but I have looked in the engine bay and it seems that I have 2 plugs, one on top of the other...

looking for fault codes is all fine but a diagnosics will allow you to see what the airflow over the MAF actually is.

the maf will have "prongs" on it, take off the intake pipe and look in you should see what one it is from that

my 0-60 on a very slight downhill with me and a passenger was 10.6 seconds, my mate did it in exactly the same place in his 1.6 306 and got 10.3 seconds. his car is quite slow for a 1.6 cos it weighs 1.1 tons lol

and one more thing...(mine has only 58bhp). I have fully serviced it (cam belt , filters... the lot) and can't get it to go over 87Mph (140kph):sad2:(with only me on board...65kilos:lol:... and a few lugguages...)... and I can't figure it out why... why is yours that fast???:blink: and I'm thinking that something is wrong with my engine that nobody can figure it out...:confused:

i had a similar problem which took the garage ages to figure out. what had happened was the baffles had fallen out of the backbox and were blocking the exhaust. my 0-60 while broken was 22 seconds now its fixed its like a completely differant car.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back