Neon Lights

br0wni07

Wrench Pro
Never wired any neons in car before, But wanted to put some under my car seats to turn on at click of a button (separate to car lights). Were would i need to wire these into, iv got a peugeot 206 '03' model,

Thanks

Hi Br0wni07 and welcome to TorqueCars. The easiest way is to take a feed off the cigarette lighter socket. Did it come with a transformer and wiring diagram? You might be able to wire it up to your interior light circuit - it would look good and be functional.

most neons will have the transformer built in due to the high voltages involved in gas lights.

youll need to get a live wire from some where. cd players a god choice for this as most wiring harnesses are marked up, ether the red ( permanent live ) or yellow (ignition live ) will do yellow would be better as then theres no way you can forget about it.

tools needed
  • pliers wire cutters / strippers a decent set will do all 3
  • terminal connections. ( look like a long strip will lots off screws. dont pay more than £1 for a strip i get 15amp for 90p. for a strip of 12
  • spade connectors ( blue 15 amp ones are best )
  • ring connectors with ether a 6 or 8 mm hole , 8 would be best

What to do

• Disconnect the battery ( make sure you have the radio code if its the standard unit )
  • cut the wire
  • strip around 6mm off each end of the yellow wire and the same off your main wire
  • install a terminal connector to the main harness, and twist your new wire into the other cut wire and connect to the other side.
  • cover the terminal connector in sparky tape to save shorting out
    [8] run wire to where you want your switch and install onto it, this is normally shown by a +
  • connect positive wires from your neons to the other connection, normally a light
  • if youve bout an illuminated switch youll need to run an earth wire from the earth connection to the body
  • take the negative wires and strip wire back and install a ring connector
  • find a suitable bolt close by an remove it (if its a 10mm spanner its a 6mm bolt, 13mm spanner is a 8mm bolt)
  • if its a 6mm hole and youve fitted 8mm connector put a 6mm washer on first
  • put the ring connector on the bolt and reattach to bodywork
  • reconnect the battery

i take no responsibility if this all goes bang, but it shouldnt

flick the switch and watch the lights come on

neon rope look fantastic. but ive you get that. buy it ready cut and wired up its a pain and a halve to wire in the transformer into hair strand wire

How would i get a feed off the cigarette lighter and if i did would the lighter stil be able to be used or would all the power then go to the lights?

Thanks

same as my previous post. youd need to get the cig lighter out or at least get good acess to it. and split into the live wire. which should be the center.

what ever you cut into as long as you still have a connection going to it ( lighter cd player etc ) then it will work

if your really unsure about cutting wires then get yourself scotch locks.

you just fit these over your live feed with your switch wire in the other section and clamp shut with a pair of pliers. thee will cut both wires for you and give a power feed to both

i will see if i have any left if so il take a pick

ok had some 5amp scotch locks left

what it looks like

2451058587_13046cb661.jpg

how they work

2451884048_05e7c07759.jpg

if you look at the RH hole you will see that it goes stright through. this is the where the wire you want to cut into. the LH is blocked this is where you put your wire

then fold over like in the next pic

Closing the lock

2451884586_c1be0f1540.jpg

fold the top over and clamp right down using pliers.

note the pic only shows it half closed

Last edited:
right im gonna have a go at trying to get the cigarette lighter out then so i can get a live wire, scotch locks sound the best bet though cause then i dont have to risk cutting into the wrong wire, thanks for help... hope i work it out:lol:

not so good, couldnt find were the live cables came for the cigarette lighter...

looks like im going to have to go professional.. unless i can find guides out there for wiring it up

anyone know were i could find any guides?

try using the one behind the cdplayer ( yellow ones most likly check it out with a multimeter if you have one if not find out which one lights a bulb with the ignition off and use the other one)

if you use this 1 chances are if your youve got an afermarket head unit your leads will be marked up. and you can run both a live and earth from here to where you want your lights