Need some tech help on exhaust boxes

hough

Road Burner
Car
VW T5 swb 2.5tdi
hey can anyone give me some help on exhaust silencers, as far as i know from reading different sites the longer the box the quieter the exhaust note becomes but how does the diameter of the box/oval change the sound of the exhaust as in, would a 6" dia cylinder have a lot deeper note than a 4" cylinder, and what would be the difference in exhaust note/sound between say a single 67mm dia exhaust system with 2 12" x 5" cylinders and a twin 52mm dia exhaust with 4 12" x 5" cylinders (2 silencers per a exhaust pipe?)

i hope this question makes sense.......

thanks old git this thread was good, but what i realy want to try and find out is if i was to compare a few exhausts side by side ie a 6" dia cylinder 12" long, a 4" dia cylinder 12" long and a twin oval 5" x 8" again 12" long, i know the 6" is deeper sounding to the 4" but how would the oval compare to the 4" and 6" cylinder?

also as far as i under stand im i right in saying 1 x 3" bore in a 6" dia cyinder would be louder and deeper than say 2 x 2.25" bore in a 4" cylinder (thats 2 x 4" cylinders side by side)