need help!

danwolves85

Car
honda s2000
hey, ive had my s2000 now nearly a year and havnt had any problems with it, just one thing buging me, when i had the car i noticed that after about 10 min of driving it and the engine was warmed up its engine note changed, when cold the engine makes hardly any noise apart from first start up when it revs abit more which is expected but then after about 10 min i notice that when driving at under 3,000 rpm the engine makes like a ticking, ratling noise, hard to explain, the engine sounds like its running ok but the note is different but only below 3,000 rpm after that the engine note changes again to a normal sounding engine, just a roar, ive never had any problems with starting or performance, i just wondered if this was ok and normall, ty :bigsmile:

It sounds fairly normal to me. The valve springs are a weak spot on these engines though so keep an eye on it and if it gets worse get someone to check the valve springs etc. (Sorry I missed this post for so long, i've been a bit behind this week!)

when ive just started it up i dnt go over 3k rpm until the engine is warmed up and then when im just chilling in it i tend to shift bout 3-4 on average only ever hit my vtec when im putting my foot dwn, is that ok what im doing?

Try shifting later mate. Hondas need to be revved high! I don't shift until around 5/6000 rpm.

As for the rattling, I don't think it's normal but I don't know what could cause it. It could be such a huge range of things. Assuming you are UK based, give these guys a call and they will be able to advise you much better than I can:

Hond-R (01235 530055)
http://www.hond-r.co.uk/index.php?a...ct&PHPSESSID=9bbe3d8b3d96e469345b72b585996014