need help.

steve09

Track Warrior
Car
Honda NSR 125R
right, to start off i have got my test in under a month (i know i've left it late, but i failed twice due to doing stupid things like stalling at traffic lights then didnt have funds)
so, after i pass my test my dad said he is going to buy me a car, he has said for about a grand but i will be putting a bit more towards it, so i will be spending about 1500 on my first car, i know people might say dont do it you will just right it off as its your first car, but i dont really want a one litre saxo or 106, im 21 so insurance will be a bit lower plus with pass plus so even lower.

anyway im in a bit of a dilema.

i would really like a focus, pretty good car imo.
but i've been doing a few quote with adrien flux an between a 1.4 and a 2.0L theres about a 100 difference in it.

so i've narrowed it down to a few choices, a focus, a 306 hdi and a civic.
but now i've been looking at bmw's and audis, a 318i, now i dont know anything about bmws really part from i like the look of them, and there rwd. the audis are just too much on insurance. so thats them gone.
would i have problems getting insurance on a 318i rather than a 2.0L focus.
and would it mean getting pulled over more as im 21 and in a bmw.

im not looking for a low mileage one as i will probably keep it for a year mabye two if it lasts then sell it an get a different car.

so would it be worth it getting one or should i just get something like a 1.6 focus for a year or so getting my ncd up then get a better car?

ignore people about the first car idea that its going to be wrecked, i had a focus for a year now ive got a bmw, now looking at mg zs. It the person and how they drive it, dont be stupid and you wont need a new car for a while lol.

I am 18 and i have a 318i SE 52 plate very nice little thing, as long as the insurance is in your name and the car is registered to you police have no reason to pull you over unless your being an idiot.

just look at what you want to use the car for, 318s eat petrol, focus are not that bad on mpg if you earn a fair amount get the bmw youll love it more than the focus but economically the focus is far better.

i wont really have that bad a time with the petrol, as i wont be going that far really, like about 10-12 miles to work an back, and i will only be going a bit agressive with the driving on a track, if a 318i will be anygood on a track thats a different story.
how much power does a 318 have compared to, say a 1.8 focus, in drivable power not just paper figures? not the new ones, the 1995-1998 ones

well i had the 2l focus so i cant really vouch for the 1.8l. but the bmw being rear wheel drive would be better for track in my opinion. Bmws are as standard a bit too heavy for any serious track abuse, a few Modifications and weight reduction it would be great. In any case if your mostly useing it to drive to work the focus may be the better option until you have a few years no claims and go for the 325i. At 21 insurance is cheaper for you, would a 320 be too expensive on insurance?
the 318i has a slower (not by much) start than the 1.8 focus once you hit second gear the focus would be gone.

i would go for the focus either the 1.8 or 2ltr as they are surprisingly nippy and handle well as standard the reason i wouldnt go for the bmw is it not as quick imo and being a new driver rwd and the wet weather coming may not be the best combination i know you said you will leave the fun for a track but we all say were not going to put our foot down but after a couple of days driving on your own that will change cause i said the exact same thing

very true i forgot to point out the learning curve for RWD. easiest option find a 318i and a focus 1.8 around the same market value and test drive them both.

aye i know that a rwd is different to drive than a fwd. they like to oversteer if you power it out of a corner. and under heavy breaking into a corner they can spin, stuff like that. but under normal driving conditions, it cant be that different really cos your not pushing it near the cars grip limits.

advice is free but repairs is not m8! for a first car steer clear of anything bmw or not 'run of the mill' cause at some point you'll be buying for it and at least spares for a henry will be plentiful and cheap should you need em.:blink1:

unless of course you're in the trade or have access to it on the cheap?:toung:

Just to let you know mate. Yes you may be 21 however you have 0 NCB and 0 years driving on a full license. so most insurers will charge you a large premium.
BM are classed as a premium car and as such insurance. also has been said there rather heavy. we had them for company cars for a while had a go in both 118i and 120d and the petrol was felt gutless the diesel was very nice to drive

the focus is probably your best bet

cause at some point you'll be buying for it and at least spares for a henry will be plentiful and cheap should you need em.

ummm.... yeahhhhh.... whats a henry lol. the only one i know of it a king lol.

i think i might get the bm a bit later after thinking about it.