Need Help with Alloy Wheel Repair

Nancyboy56

Car
2011 Hyundai Sonata
Hi. I just joined this site to enlist the help of you knowledgeable people. I am an old lady (67) who hates to spend those atrocious amounts charged by people who repair cars. I have a 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE that has alloy wheels. I scruffed the very edge (the lip that's close to the tire) of the right rear wheel deep enough to probably need some type of filler. There are a couple of areas around the wheel where there are scrapes 3 or 4 inches long(thank you WalMart and my apparent crappy driving). I can find sites that show how to repair and have kits to do it, but even though I google specifically for Hyundai I can't find anything that says it will match my wheel color. Are they all about the same silver or do I really need to be sure the color is for my exact make and model? I don't really even care if it's perfectly smooth, although I'll probably do some sanding and flling with bondo or whatever. As long as the color matches so you can't really notice the scruff I'll be happy. Thanks for any advice. Nancy

Well Nancy, you could try phoning around for a mobile alloy wheel repair guy to come around and give you a quote; make sure this is a free estimate before he arrives on your doorstep, quotations for these guys are like insurance, you need to shop around.

The painting or should I say the colour match is key here, nothing worse than a repair with two or three different shades of paint on it. Usually a damage repair like what you have described does not cost a lot at all, and on average can take about an hour for even a severe gouge including the spraying to repair.

Ask the chap for his best quote and paying him cash on completion will always be of an advantage here to keep the cost down a bit more.

By using a mobile service you can then have the wheel repaired while you are indoors having a nice cup of coffee and a cookie or brownie while watching the television with your feet up relaxing :)
A lady of your maturity, as capable as I am sure you are, really should not be doing jobs like this when a professional can do it much quicker and much nicer, also it will save you getting stressed out if the repair proves to be not up to the finish you would like to have seen.

If you are really determined to do this then there are actually alloy wheel repair kits that can be bought on the internet or from your local car accessory shop, including the paint.

Last edited:
A colour match is really hard on a metallic paint, they are all different. I'd expect to paint the whole wheel and do the other wheel as well on that side of the car.

A local paint shop might be able to do the job very cheaply - have a look around your local industrial estate. I've been quoted as low as £30 per wheel down here. For the sake of all the hassle and trouble matching paint it's a price I'm willing to pay.

Hi Guys. Thanks for the advice. You both are probably right that it's worth it to pay someone to do this. I had to laugh, T9 man, when I read your response about my maturity (I didn't take offense, though--that was very nicely put). For my age I think I'm petty "young"--I ride motorcycles (highway and dirt), long-distance remote river kayak and play games on my PlayStation 3 (the killing and mayhem kind among others). Yeah, I probably am capable, but I do appreciate your advice as sometimes a person can ruin something by trying to fix it themselves. I'll look around for a mobile service or shop that might do it. Thanks much again. I always get good information from experts at these forums!

you could try asking hyundai for the colour code for the silver. they are not all the same and silver can be one of the hardest to match up.

my wheels are done in an audi paint code. took a while to find it out

I did ask someone from the Hyundai service department and he had no clue how to find out the color. I'll stop by there the next time I'm in the area (it's about 50 miles away) and maybe I'll get someone more knowledgeable. Thanks for the suggestion.