Need help!!!! Souping up my 1996 mits eclipse rs 2.0l

HOSSINNAM

Car
1996 ECLIPSE RS 2.0
Right now all i have is a cold air intake and a fuel chip in it. I also have done some bodywork on it and painted my interior. But i need alot of engine work but my tranny is new and has been up graded but sadly it and AUTOMATIC :( BUT IM PLANING TO PUT A 5 SPEED IN IT.

I need help with like were do i start top end or bottom end of the engine because one guy told me i needed to do the bottom first and the other guy said the top end and it would be easyier but im not sure you know.

I would start by taking out that fuel chip as it is probably causing over-fueling issues. Top end or bottom depends on what you're aiming for power wise. If for example you wanted to boost it to 600bhp you would have to strengthen up the bottom end. But if you just want to add a few performance mods then it isn't necessary.

hmmm

one option is.. keep an eye out for a eclipse that is wrecked that has what you need.

do the manual conversion and add the best parts of it to yours.

dont forget breaks. going fast means #!#!#!#! if you cant stop.

Last edited:
well i can get another parts car easy i just have to come up with 2 to 5 hundred dollars u know which is harder than it looks because right now as it sits i dont have a job but im working on it really hard so maybe i can get that eclipse.

By the way thank u for the advice and post me back when u get this!

Right so i just really need top end then because im not ready to drop that kind of money into it right now and that fuel chip would explain why im burning so much gas i think i will take it out.....lol well thats one problem solved thanks man

These chips are usually designed to trick your ECU into giving you more fuel which of course equals over fueling.

The best place to start imo woulb be the basics. Things like an exhaust, cold air intake, then move onto big bore throttle bodies, better cams and take things a step at a time. When you have finished with adding power, top it off with a remap to make the best use out of it all.

The other advice I would give is that you will enjoy a car more if it handles better than if it is faster in a straight line. Personally, I would start with suspension and a couple of simple power mods.