Need Help! Cig. lighter broken :/

I have been trying to fix this for a few days since we have checked the wires last night and it was getting power but the GPS wouldnt work(checked it, its not broken) so i pulled the stock cylinder for the lighter out and cleaned it up, and it silll didnt work, I bought an aftermarket one and hook it up tonight and I dont have any power at all now?

Recheck the fuse for the cigarette lighter to make sure all is still well.
Now check the actual GPS lead, these are sometimes fused in the cigarette plug also, this is to protect the appliance more as the fuse protecting the cigarette socket can be quite big as it shares its power with other items in the car. This means more damage can be done to the appliance if there is a fault as it will have to do more damage to blow a bigger fuse than if it had to blow a smaller one. Hope this makes sense to you.

Ah yes this makes good sense actually. I will check all this out before work tomorrow Thank you.

Ah, I got it working, but now I have a question, is it possible to splice in a second plug in or should a rerun wires for that one and give it its own fuse?

Depends what you want to run extra. On the second cig socket.
If its only for something with light amp draw then just get a double socket. Then you'll need no splicing either. If its heavy on the amps add a second cig socket on an extra line and fuse with a good earth.

Depends what you want to run extra. On the second cig socket.
If its only for something with light amp draw then just get a double socket. Then you'll need no splicing either. If its heavy on the amps add a second cig socket on an extra line and fuse with a good earth.

This seems to cover the extra socket question, the socket adapters come as twins, triples and I have even seen a quad version. They can come with extension leads as well. If the additional socket is to go in the back of the car i.e. the rear seats or even in the boot/trunk for accessories, then this should be done as a separate circuit if the load is to be heavy or if you intend to to run the devices at the same time.

I think tn meant some cars need the ignition on for the cigarette lighter to get power?

Indeed herb, some of my old cars had that feature and it was a nuisance having to turn on the ignition therefore leaving the keys in the ignition, which could be a security issue if done in the wrong part of town ;)

So pretty much if i plug two into the same line and fuse and the fuse blows thenI shall rerun a second on its own line. Im only trying to run a gps and an ipod charger right now.
Thank you all!

So pretty much if i plug two into the same line and fuse and the fuse blows thenI shall rerun a second on its own line. Im only trying to run a gps and an ipod charger right now.
Thank you all!

If its only the two items that you have just mentioned then you will have no problems at all.

my cig lighter wasnt working, the guy that owned the car before me(he had it for 10 years).. he said it hadnt worked in the time he owned it..so i thought it was a serious problem.

checked fuse box... FIXED :D

eek. sorry for gravedig! didn't realise it was an old post o_O

Last edited: