need a new job

geraint13

Pro Tuner
Car
Zafira 1.9 SRI
Been ringing round for the last week to find work after I've recovered from my operation. Circa, 18th July, no luck. I've spoken to 32 roofing firms in th southern half of Wales and England.

Anyway, can you think of any sectors that could use a dopey welshman gate crashing there workplace ?

If you have a cscs card work shouldn't be a problem. I thought of getting my NEBOSH certificate for a while, Instant health and safety man, no more working in the rain or go for the ssst, Most forms need someone with one, First aid helps too. Become an Health and Safety Facist, its the future

My dad recently had his roof sealed at a cost of £3000. Maybe it'd be worth starting your own business?? Surely all you'd need is a small van & few bags of cement ect & Bosh! your in business.

If you have a cscs card work shouldn't be a problem. I thought of getting my NEBOSH certificate for a while, Instant health and safety man, no more working in the rain or go for the ssst, Most forms need someone with one, First aid helps too. Become an Health and Safety Facist, its the future

I already have the sssts cert, nebosch is a 2 year course isn't it with loads and loads of paperwork. Already got cscs, don't know if I want to be on the tools anymore. Sick of the cut throat nature the construction industry has turned in too.

My dad recently had his roof sealed at a cost of £3000. Maybe it'd be worth starting your own business?? Surely all you'd need is a small van & few bags of cement ect & Bosh! your in business.
Already running my own bussiness mate. I don't work on domestic property's mate.

I'm thinking about going for a sheet metal worker, or getting onto either pipelines or on the rails.
The rails could be a good idea as they are on about electrifying the main line from London to cardiff, maybe to swansea. That's going to generate loads of work.

Decisions eh ? Lol.

Nebosh is one year in night class once a week but 2 weeks on a normal course I think. It's not cheap but can be found cheap online as a correspondance course. How about Canada or Australia ...seem to be busy. I fancy Canada

Had an interview for a move there. Mrs, kids. The works. Not brilliant money but comfortable. Didn't get it. That was in Edmonton, Canada.
Have been looking mate. If you know any links or anything send em over if you can. Be grateful.
Cheers.

I'm a fully trained sheet metal worker as part of my job. Do you have any experience or training? Can you develop patterns for bends, cones, dome ends etc?? It's a dying art now in the UK and there will be a shortage once all the current older lot retire in our industry.

I'm a fully trained sheet metal worker as part of my job. Do you have any experience or training? Can you develop patterns for bends, cones, dome ends etc?? It's a dying art now in the UK and there will be a shortage once all the current older lot retire in our industry.

I was thinking about this MA. What would I need to get trained ? Nvq's and so on.
Was thinking about seeing if I could do an evening course and keep working.

The thing that puts me off going for contract managing and getting nibosh, is I can't handle working in an office. I tried that with civil engineEring. Done a 2 year course, with the local council.

Any info you could pass on MA .....

Cheers

I see you touched on the railways earlier Gee, I was going to suggest this for you. Are you willing to relocate if necessary? Loz works on the railways I believe and he might be able to advise you further on taking this avenue.

The best of luck to you Gee and I hope something happens for you real soon :)

I was out of work for about 4-5 months... I almost gave up looking until after xmas, a job I applied for at a school I'd never heard of rang me, and asked for an interview. I got the job then and there... :D Turns out it was a private school... You'll get something mate. Employers look for experience now, none of this uni bullcrap.

ive give up on looking for a new job so decided to enroll at college just decided why work a job il hate and probably quit and do something i want to do whilst im still young

Should never give up looking! Keep going and going. Even if it seems a waste of time, your efforts don't go un noticed.

me giving up means i can go college and do something i want to do with more career prospects just means having less money for a few years

This is the catch for me. Do I retrain and be skint for a couple of years, or keep trying to get roofing work ?
The economy is as fickle as its ever been.