my sad golf gt tdi

rickyd

hey there,fresh member this morning,& i need help!!!!.got a 2001 golf gt tdi 130 bhp pd engine.basicly my car is not drivable from cold,it will cut out :(.if i warm her up to 90 degrees she will drive fine.can some one help???????

Hi Rickyd. Welcome to TorqueCars. Cold start problems are a nightmare to track down and to be honest I'm not much of a Diesel head. I believe that the glow plugs are critical to starting a cold engine so get these checked out. Do you do a lot of short runs in the car? It might need a blow out on a fast road for an hour or two.

yeah i agree with waynne cold starts require the glow plugs to heat up.

sounds stupid but are you waiting for the plug light to go out ?

ok just read through the haynes manual for the bora golf

basically what it says is that the glow plug is energised the diesil flowing over it is heated to allow better compustion

the duration of the preheating is govverend by the the ECU the light on the dash will go out when the preheating process has finished but power will be suplied to them until the engine is started. if the plug light comes on at any other time it indicates a fault with the ECU

before you start the car check the battery with a multimeter haynes recommends 11.5v min better to have it higher ( a fully charged battery is 14.4v)
if the battery is on the way out there wont be enough charge to allow the preheating to complete

best idea is to try and get HDI fun to see if he can come up with anything