My rover 45 project

Nice! I would have to lose those green tinted rear light lens covers though buddy, that car just does not need them. :)

If this is going on a 45/ZS then all you do is undo the bolts on either side of where the suspensions bolts to the strut tops, slot the bar in and do the bolts back up. It's not as solid as some strut braces but keeps the front end a bit more solid. A real difference is fitting the lower rear one to the saloon 45/ZS, then you would notice a massive difference. I'd go for poly bushes all round first then decide if you still require strut braces for road use.

I have only ever fitted them if standard ones have perished simply for the extra life you get from them. But if you have a car that handles well in the first place, then there isn't much point. But the MG ZS180 is an amazing handling car for 13 years old but does respond even better with simply fitting the poly bushes, rear strut braces and thicker adjustable rear anti roll bar instead of suspension etc. I do think how ever poly bushes are a good mod for engine and gearbox mounts.

But fitting new OEM bushes will have a similar effect (on the road).

One thing about poly bushes that most modders don't realise (present company excepted) is that they need maintenance. The bushes rely on free movement between steel tube and bolt. If these aren't lubricated regularly the sleeve and bolt will wear resulting in squeaking and excessive play.

Nice work, a really tidy setup. Does it drive any differently though, what are your thoughts on it?

Not took it out for a test yet, I'm off work for a week so enjoying be lazy at the mo. I fitted it purely for the look. Whish I could of got hold of a chrome one thou :-( also would like to upgrade to some samco hoses but they don't do a kit for this engine:-( got a cone filter to fit and a hose ducting for it. Some blue electrical ducting as well. Some people think I'm strange tweaking a rover but it keeps me busy and out of trouble. Could be doing worse things hay.

Some people think I'm strange tweaking a rover but it keeps me busy and out of trouble.

I don't give two flying monkeys what people think about my car, people think I'm strange for modifying a SAAB too but I love it and that's all that matters. If working on the car of your choice makes you happy buddy then I'm happy |B

Not took it out for a test yet, I'm off work for a week so enjoying be lazy at the mo. I fitted it purely for the look. Whish I could of got hold of a chrome one thou :-( also would like to upgrade to some samco hoses but they don't do a kit for this engine:-( got a cone filter to fit and a hose ducting for it. Some blue electrical ducting as well. Some people think I'm strange tweaking a rover but it keeps me busy and out of trouble. Could be doing worse things hay.

Remove it and take to your local chroming company :)

Re hoses. Make your own kit. You may have to use a few aluminium tube joiners but not one of the more challenging projects.

well done on modding a rover i used to own an mg zr quite a few years ago and spent a small fortune on it.

i see yours is the 1.8 k series if your interested in a bit of extra go then i remember a nice little mod for not much money was fitting the vvc inlet and 52mm tb port matched to the head and defo look into a janspeed 4-2-1 manifold they make a good improvement.

It's not actually a cover it's basically an air box before the inlet Manifold;)

After market ones or one from another engine are generally bigger less restrictive than the standard one. This was one way manufacturers used to restrict the power!

When searching type in your engine I.e.
1.8 inlet Manifold or 1.8 plenum and see what crops up

It's not actually a cover it's basically an air box before the inlet Manifold;)

After market ones or one from another engine are generally bigger less restrictive than the standard one. This was one way manufacturers used to restrict the power!

When searching type in your engine I.e.
1.8 inlet Manifold or 1.8 plenum and see what crops up
Legend cheers. So its a vvc inlet manifold upgrade. Found some for around £35. With top and bottom end parts. Will this fit straight on without any hikups. Do you think this will be a straight forward job? Soz to ask all these questions m8. I thought it was just a cover lol.

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3(3).jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_3(3).jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 4
I did one on my nova gte year's ago and it was easy bar I snapped a Manifold bolt by over tightening it.

As long as it's made for your engine it should be easy just replace the inlet gasket and check if your throttle body has a gasket if so replace that too;)

I did one on my nova gte year's ago and it was easy bar I snapped a Manifold bolt by over tightening it.

As long as it's made for your engine it should be easy just replace the inlet gasket and check if your throttle body has a gasket if so replace that too;)
Really appreciate your feedback m8. The ones I have found say that are for the rover 218. Mines a rover 45 2004 1.8 so I don't think it will fit?? Mine like the top pics has a plug sensor hole on the side of it and these don't, aslo I think the rover 218 engines were slightly different e.g. Bloody plug sensors lol. I will keep looking cheers

Hi mate.

Is your 45 the 120 engine? If so, the VVC inlet manifold will not be a stright swap. The head will need to be port matched.
Hi, I'm not sure if its a 120 engine. All I know is that its a 1.8 2004 rover k-series lol. I will try to find outWP_20150108_11_05_03_Pro.jpg

It's the 120.

For a VVC inlet to fit, you need to port match the head to the inlet as the head port sizes are different between the 120 and 160.

It's the 120.

For a VVC inlet to fit, you need to port match the head to the inlet as the head port sizes are different between the 120 and 160.
Think your spot on been told the same. That I need to port it to match and also need to re map again after fitted. Cheers now I know its the 120 it will make things easier to sorce. Thankyou very much guys

Your welcome! I had an MG ZR 1.4 so did nothing but research the K series. I know quite a bit about them.

Another member on here, Stamford also has an MG ZS but his is a highly modified KV6 engine!

Your welcome! I had an MG ZR 1.4 so did nothing but research the K series. I know quite a bit about them.

Another member on here, Stamford also has an MG ZS but his is a highly modified KV6 engine!
Cheers again for all the advice. I'm currently waiting on more bits to turn up. Air filter pipe, cone filter, cone heat shield and air intake pipe. Been told the heat soak from a cone filter on these engines is unreal and have been recommend to get a straight through forced induction kit. All cone bits and accessories are already on their way but have cost me next to nothing. I will just have to see how I get on with the cone and bits hay.

You will also need the exhaust manifold aswell iirc, also you need should get an enlarged throttle body, full exhaust and a good sealed air filter, then go for the remap. Might be worth thinking about fuel pump and injectors to get the most out of it. But you are going down the route where it may be cheaper to buy a ready built VVC or go for the 1.8 Turbo.

All the injectors are the same in the K series mate.

Don't really need the 160 exhaust manifold either... Any decent exhaust company can produce a 4-2-1 manifold. Just do not decat the exhaust. You'll lose power as the K series requires some velocity within the exhaust. And keep the exhaust around 2.25 to 2.5" in diameter.

Yeh should of typed that better. I meant fuel pump and injectors in the sense of a walbro fuel pump and uprated injectors, not one from a VVC ;) But cost effectiveness of tuning these days makes the conversions so much more cost effective and if you are already starting with a 1.8, then the VVC or Turbo seems a good option.

i spent a few years tuning the old k series engine starting out with a 1.4 103bhp ending up a fully forged 1.8 throttle bodied animal with 190bhp.

as has been stated above you will need the vvc inlet port matching to your head and also you may as well get the 52mm throttle bodie that the zr160 uses as well to go with it, defo look into a janspeed 4-2-1 manifold they do make a nice difference and a good cat back system i ended up with a blueflame and it was perfect.

after you have done this you should certainly look at a remap as the airflow will be changed quite a bit coming in and out of the engine.

that was my engine when it was finished

and this was the car in question

still miss that car
Wow that looks really nice m8. I found a vvc inlet manifold and a 52mm throttle body for £85 so happy days. What inlet manifold is in your old zr?? Were you get it from, how much? Also I noticed... Is it an oil breather filter sticking out of the block?? Is this possible to do with mine, is it in the same place? Soz I got so many questions. Any feedback would be most appreciated cheers