My pet Spider....don't look if sqeamish lol!

About 4 weeks ago when I was rebuilding our garden, I found a semi good size wolf-spider (The big-ass ones you find in the bath that run around like Rooney in the Prem lmao!)

Any way, I thought i'd move him out of the way so I didn't kill it. I put it in a whole on an old victorian wall we have running down the side of the garden. I then fitted a sheet of trellis to the wall a day or 2 later and noticed he built himself a really nice home. So every time i found a daddy-long legs or beetle or fly or whatever, i through it in the web.

Well yesterday was the first time I had seen it in 4 weeks and bloody hell.... It's by far the biggest spider in the wild i've seen in this country. I obviously could get the measure on him lol, but it would easily fit my palm from one side to the other with its legs.

Now for the pics. I took about 50 shots to get these 3 good ones as it was hard to try and get the lens close enough without messing up the shot, good old macro lol. Right, if your a bit freaked by spiders, prepare to have chills, I know I did yesterday when it came running out of it's hole lol:-

spider1.jpg

This shot was using the macro and came alot better:-

spider2.jpg

Now this last shot is the one i'm proud of for detail, depth perception and lighting but it took along time to get with alot of patience. Not perfect but bloody good considering i was putting the lens into a hole in the wall lol:-

spider3.jpg

I'm waiting for the next good shot now as I want to show the size of it's fangs as they are massive lol.

Last edited:
Not bad for a common house spider hey?

Right, been outside and found a full size daddy long legs, so through it in and it lasted all of 2 maybe 3 seconds before the spider pounced and in the process I have maged to just about get the shot I wanted. Nowhere near perfect but it's pretty good for a first try and getting the fangs.

Now before I post the pic below i'd like to know if anyone else has heard this before? But I have read somewhere and not sure how true it is, but doesn't one of britain's common house spiders pound for pound have one of the most poisonous venom in the world for a spider (something like 3rd most) but they can't harm us due to the fangs not being able to penetrate out skin. Plus i've had a a few mates ask the same aswell.

Anywho, if given the chance, i'm sure these would get through our skin no problem:-

spider4.jpg

Pictures look good but I take it you're holding the camera by hand? You'd get much better results from a macro shot using a tripod and keeping the camera still.

Yeh I know mate, problem is I can't get into the web close enough with the tripod, i'm gonna have a go using my monopod nest as it will alow me to lean it loads more.

Nice shots! Scary spider, if you keep feeding it you might end up with a monster on your hands.

Just hope it's not a jumping spider he might make you drop your camera!
I used to have a Martinique that liked to jump about, great fun with nervous people. :lol:

Neh mate, jumping spiders are alot lot smaller than this thing and almost look like zebra markings. This beasty is a british wolf-spider. You usually get them in the bath or doing 2 million miles an hour across your living room.

Now before I post the pic below i'd like to know if anyone else has heard this before? But I have read somewhere and not sure how true it is, but doesn't one of britain's common house spiders pound for pound have one of the most poisonous venom in the world for a spider (something like 3rd most) but they can't harm us due to the fangs not being able to penetrate out skin.

You are thinking of the daddy longlegs. However, I think this is a myth. Check out Scopes at http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/longlegs.asp

I think i'm gonna call him Peter, as in Peter Crouch the footballer. He's huge with really long legs so fits well i think.

:shock: Yikes!

I though i was going to see somthing like a classic alfa Romeo, instead i see the chuck norris of spiders, i should have read the full title.

dont feed it any more mate, its big enough

Umm... I've thunked about it, can I have a clue? :embarrest::lol:

You need to be of a 'certain age' to have seen the programme in which this actor played a person whose name would be suitable for this beastie.

not sure if this is as big or even the same species, but this is my garage lodger i had to video it cause i have never seen spider capture wasp before

random%20vids

Dont think that one in your vid Herb, is the same but certainly impressive catching a wasp of the same size. This wolf-spider is definatly differnt in how it catches its prey. The fangs you see in the pic on the 1st page, are used to basically just bite whatever falls into the web, 10 seconds later its dead or imobilised and just carries it of into it's hole and consumes. Doesn't bother with wrapping them up, just dives in lol. Next time i find a good size bug so you can get a rough idea of the size, i'll record it on video ;)

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back