My old car insurance co,want a cancellation/admin fee ?

Geoff5050

Car
Focus Zetec S
Just cancelled my previous insurance after 11 months,and it was a fully paid up policy using a credit card.I received a phone call from the previous company stating they had received my cancellation letter and doc's,but they are going to charge me £47.No doubt these companies do this a lot to customers,anyway I said to him what about the one months premium you owe me,as I had only used 11 months out of the 12 ? So in theory they owe me £33 which is a twelth of the policy.So I reckon I only owe them £14....he said he will phone me back on that one...ha ha !

Lunchmoney

The Torque Meister
Car
'98 JDM Impreza STI
Cancellation and amendment fees would have been stipulated in your policy docs. Even cancelling 1 day early would trigger the fee.
As for your 'I only had 11 months so they owe me a month back', it doesn't work that way. You pay for a 12 month policy. It's not their fault you only want it for 11. I would be very surprised if you got any money out of them, though they may forgo the cancel fee.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Absolutely worth trying it.

Cheaper companies tend to charge the full premium after 9 months and many levy cancellation fees.

Generally though the harsh penalties apply in the first year with a company. After this many cancel pro rata with little or no admin fee.

Geoff5050

Car
Focus Zetec S
Absolutely worth trying it.

Cheaper companies tend to charge the full premium after 9 months and many levy cancellation fees.

Generally though the harsh penalties apply in the first year with a company. After this many cancel pro rata with little or no admin fee.
Your right this is normal practice to charge a cancellation fee,but I thought I would put my point across.Just to see what happens....my motto is : Don't ask don't get.

Geoff5050

Car
Focus Zetec S
Turned out to be a bit of a farce,after I argued my case they duly put £49 into my account...great I thought...realising their mistake they phoned me back saying their office had made a mistake by giving me the money....ha ha ! Well they did eventually take £49 from my account as a cancellation fee.So they will charge a cancellation fee no matter what the circumstances.
I was'nt too disappointed as I had already saved £80 in premiums by changing insurance company to Adrian Flux for a car with modifications.