my old astra GTE

astragte-1.jpg

gte009gr0-1.jpg

theredtop.jpg

she's gone now :(
sold her to a guy in scotland due to change in cirumstances...needed something more sensible, yet for some reason im haf way through buildin a Carlton drift car! oops! lol

lotus carlton?? i wish matey! unfortunately i dont have pockets as deep as the channel!
its only a 2.0L, fully stripped with some choice drift friendly mods, will be looking for a 3.0 24v lump to drop in her next year...
an yeah, i do love my old vauxhalls mate, the new stuff doesnt appeal to me at all. old cars are easier to work on, and have less gadgets to go wrong in the first place
since june iv had a corsa, the GTE, a Cavalier, an now the carlton. may also be getting another corsa in next few weeks for a redtop conversion....should be fun

cav GSI's are nice motors, but a bit too heavy if you ask me, they never quite felt as raw as a mk2 GTE, and definately not a corsa/nova converted!
Cav turbo 4x4.....now theres a motor! lol

The good old Mk2 GTE's were stunningly quick even by todays standards. I guess they are much lighter than the modern cars. The closest I got to owning one was a 1.3 GLE MK2 but I still loved it although it rusted away under me.

That was the real prob with them. I loved my Gte but couldn't keep up with the rust........ Also it kept eating driveshafts so that had to go.....:D
But yeah the old vaux engine really did pull well......

What about dropping the newer 3.2 V6 rather than the older 3.0 staright 6? I'm not sure of corse weather the mounts and gearbox would be ok but surly that would make a nicer drift car having all that extra torque? Sounds a good project anyway mate ;)

The good old Mk2 GTE's were stunningly quick even by todays standards. I guess they are much lighter than the modern cars. The closest I got to owning one was a 1.3 GLE MK2 but I still loved it although it rusted away under me.

hell of a lot lighter mate, mk2 GTE kerb weight is 995kg!

What about dropping the newer 3.2 V6 rather than the older 3.0 staright 6? I'm not sure of corse weather the mounts and gearbox would be ok but surly that would make a nicer drift car having all that extra torque? Sounds a good project anyway mate ;)

the thought has crossed my mind, but IMO theres not a massive amount of difference performance wise, especially when you take into account the extra weight. definately not enough for me to bother messing about with custom mounts, and hassle with gearbox's etc.especially when the straight six slots straight in with no effort at all!
is an interesting idea mate, but one for someone with more time/money than me!:)

to be honest i wouldnt bother tuning it! im halfway through stripping the carlton to the bare bones, just a wee bit of sound deadening tar left to remove, and then the dash and heater matrix once i have a new daily driver so as the carly is pure track car. the weight loss is just as good as tuning! and suspension is just as important too! luckily for me th c20ne has lots of low down torque, which is much more important than BHP!
BHP talks the talk, but torque walks the walk! lol

to be honest i wouldnt bother tuning it! im halfway through stripping the carlton to the bare bones, just a wee bit of sound deadening tar left to remove, and then the dash and heater matrix once i have a new daily driver so as the carly is pure track car. the weight loss is just as good as tuning! and suspension is just as important too! luckily for me th c20ne has lots of low down torque, which is much more important than BHP!
BHP talks the talk, but torque walks the walk! lol

Thats all good then mate. She'll be a beast when finished. Do post some pics of the finished product.

will do matey, il put a WIP thread up somepoint soon, if i ever remember to get pics of the progress lol
fitted my new diff yesterday, and a GSI seat as the standard GL one was like a sofa! need to be sat IN the seat not ON it! haha
will put pics up soon!

Do the GSi seats have the lumbar support and sideways support padding? Look forward to reading the WIP and seeing your latest project pics.

they certainly do mate, although first thing i did was wind the lumbar support right down to get it as buckety as possible!
pics tonight most probably, dependant on if its still light enough to take pics when its done!