My new project - 1975 Mini Pickup

It's been a while since I had much to post. I spent 10 days in Tarija this month and a lot of it at the body shop nudging him along, as well as taking the padded dash to one of my upholsterers for re-covering.

It had taken a lot longer than anticipated to get the engine in, as I discovered that the sub-frame they sent with the clip was not the right one for this engine/trans setup, so I had to find someone with another mini with the right sub-frame, take the measurements and modify mine to receive the engine.

engine_installed.jpg

I took a set of new seatbelts off the back area of a new delivery van I bought, and we adapted them to the side walls of the cabin.

seat_belt_box.jpg

welding_box.jpg

grinding_box.jpg

seat_belt_installed.jpg

Padded dash before and after

torpedo_antes-despues.jpg

Saturday, after I left, my body guy sent me pictures of the painted (but not yet polished) pickup.

top_left_painted.jpg

hood_painted.jpg

He should be polishing today or tomorrow, and I'll go back to start assembling things.

top_left_painted.jpg

hood_painted.jpg

I got away for a few days to start on assembly. Body guy had not yet finished some of the detail or polished the painted body, but I took my parts and tools to his shop and started with installations.

With my pressure he finally painted the interior of the bed
bed_painted.jpg

Since I'm putting power disc brakes on it, and the booster has to go on the right hand side, I adapted a second pedal support and actuating rod to go from left to right.
fabricating_brake_rod.jpg

brake_pedal_painted.jpg

brake_booster_connected.jpg

Also had to fabricate some brackets to hold the radiator and alternator.
brackets_fabricated.jpg

radiator_alternator_installed.jpg

Put in the brake lines adapting the metric booster and valves to the English threaded lines, calipers, and cylinders.
brakes_steering_connected.jpg

Finally made the adapter plate for the in-tank fuel pump.
adapter_plate_fuel_pump.jpg

finished_gas_tank.jpg

I'm going back in about 10 days, and this time hope to finish.

Several delays and time restraints, but I've come close. Since this is a jigsaw puzzle of 1975 rear, 1991 front, and 1993 SPI engine, some things did not fit easily. But most has been overcome.

First, the gas tank cleaned, patched, and adapted to the in-tank pump
gas_tank_ready_to_seal.jpg

interior_sealed.jpg

exterior_painted.jpg

I also fabricated stainless license plate brackets and light on the tailgate, and finally finished the paint, which allowed me to get it out of the body shop and home where I polished it with Meguiar's Ultimate and began the wiring, exhaust, and interior.

front_finished.jpg

right_front_finished.jpg

left_front_finished.jpg

left_rear_finished.jpg

tailgate_down.jpg

1975_Morris_Mini_pickup_with_Richard.jpg

As with the Corvair, I went with LED lighting
LED_tailights.jpg

And covered the floor and roof with Fatmat

fatmat_roof.jpg

fatmat_floor.jpg

Ran out of time, so I still need to make the carpet and put the headliner in (materials purchased), so this is how it stands today.
Interior.jpg

The wiring has caused a lot of problems. It was relatively easy to make a rear wiring harness and thread it up through the cabin and bed, but I was missing the control module for the computer, and once I got it from the UK, I found that there are different wiring versions for the SPI engines. I called a friend and we think we have that understood now. It does run if i dribble gasoline into the injector body, so all is good from there.

I can't believe how much this project has come on since the autumn last year Richard, you must be so pleased with your efforts, the whole thing looks fantastic |B

I got the engine running fine after getting a control module from the UK, but the transmission refused to work, spitting out oil instead, so I had to pull the powerpack again and disassemble. finally found the problem in the forward clutch pack, where the pressure plate was broken.

clutch_plate.jpg

Clutch_plates.jpg

cracked_disc.jpg

broken_plate.jpg

I found a machine shop in the UK that makes them, so now I'm waiting on them to send me the forward clutch assembly.

While I had the power pack out I made a couple more modifications to the chassis o make it easier to install the engine, repainted it and installed springs instead of the rubber cones.

frame_repainted.jpg

repainted_and_springs_installed.jpg

new_signal_switch.jpg

rear_spring_installed.jpg

left_rear_spring_installed.jpg

It's looking ruddy marvellous Richard, cannot wait for those photos with you driving that beauty :)