My Honda Type R's first track day

TCJBOLDIE

Staff member
Car
2011 Honda FN2
Drove it to my local track for a training day and had an instructor ride with me for the first 20 minute session to give me some tips.
Was very happy:) with how the car behaved when pushed hard and was surprised somewhat with how the car put the power down and the amount of grip in the corners as it didn't put a foot wrong all morning.

Took the tyre temps after each session and they were close to even across the rears but the fronts will definitely need app 2 deg neg camber as the outside of the tread was quite a bit hotter before the next track day in mid January 2019.

It was good to be able to power thru and out of corners and not have to worry about the back stepping out and the LSD seemed to help the corner exit speed with a bit of understeer that hopefully will be reduced after the camber is added along with new suspension settings.

Had to buy new race gloves as the old ones were just so worn and tattered That I had to hide them from the scrutineers so I told my long suffering wife ( when it comes to cars ) that she can get me them for my Christmas present so I guess that the new gloves will see me out.

I decided to "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" as my suspension guru was nearby to the motorsport shop and had loaded the hardest used front & rear tyres from the Honda into my 4 wd so he see the wear and decide how much camber increase is needed.

The front will need app -2 deg to reduce wear on the outer edge and the rear will also need more than the factory setting as only 1/2 of the loaded tyres footprint was being used in the corners.

The mods will be carried out in January so looking forward to the next track day to gain even more confidence in the Honda's handling and grip levels and improving my left foot braking skills.

Last edited: