Torque Cars

My first commission

Discussion in 'Tools & Garage' started by old-git, 2 August 2014.

1. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    My neighbour is making a World War 2 tank. Yes, a tank :)

It will be used for battle reinactments and on film sets.

[​IMG]

He needed 51mm holes cut into four 10mm thick steel plates. I have never cut steel before so went to see my guru. Bought a 12mm cutter for steel plus 3 small cutters for aluminium for £25. All used but still sharp. The steel cutter alone would be £60 new so a pretty good deal for both me and my tank builder :)

He reckoned that I should be able to cut a circle in one pass! However, it quickly became apparent that my motor is past its best by date and simply stalled. I rewrote the program to cut in 1mm increments and this worked but took a lot longer. I will replace motor when back from holiday.

Charged £25 for the cutter (so getting other 3 free) and £15 for the holes as it wasn't his fault it took me so long.

[​IMG]

2. gummy

gummy Torque Master

england heathfield
    Car:
    skyline r34 gtt
    Good one o,g!,it will be good to get more work on the tank,it will be interesting to see what its like at the end!.

3. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    There are a lot of parts to be made, well, everything really, and I should see a fair amount of it :)

He is building a Vickers 6 ton tank, used by many countries in various versions but they look something like this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 6 August 2014
  4. T9 man

T9 man TC Pro Founder Moderator

London, UK
    Car:
    Saab 9-3SS T9
    Nice one Steve, before long you will have to build an extension to the barn once news spreads of your skills :)

5. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Oh, I hope not!

6. gummy

gummy Torque Master

england heathfield
    Car:
    skyline r34 gtt
    That looks a really interesting project to be part of!!:bigsmile:

7. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood
    Yeah, not many tanks get built next door to where you live :) I will keep everyone who is interested up to date on progress.

8. HDi fun

HDi fun TC ModFather

Buckinghamshire UK
    Car:
    Passat 2.0 TDi
    You've been committed?????

9. old-git

old-git Moderator

Essex
    Car:
    Elan & Robin Hood

Well, a few friends think that I should have been years ago!

I suppose it depends on which definition of commission you choose to use :)