My Evo Project. Official!

Hi there guy's. I have thought it time I started my own thread now rather than keep jumping into other peoples with questions.

Alot of you will know my planns.

Upgrade Cams
Adjustable Cam pullies
Larger Turbo housing
Remap

Carbon Front splitter
Carbon Exhaust guard
Spark cover (either AMS metal or carbon)

The cams are more or less settled. Either Brian Crower 268's or HKS 264's, im just waiting on the price difference.

The pullies are going to have to be pipers as they are the only preformance part I can find a pair for for less than £200

The turbo housing is on the cards. Just need to decide if there is a difference between wither one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...plitter&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

The exhaust guard is settled too.

Just need help with the front splitter as I have just noticed all the ''cheap'' ones on the bay of e have an import charge of £120 for delivery.

Also, as the top will be off, and cams getting fitted, is there anything els worth doing in the same project? Flywheel ect ect. Anything you can think off that will add an extra couple hundred quid to the project but will help the overall preformance of the car.

My budget for the whole thing is about £2000. And that includes the dyno run I want to do in Worcester on the 17th of March ;)

Well that's some shopping list you have there BBJ! ;) I really hope that you are able to achieve everything that you want to do. Oh yes and one more thing; your long overdue for starting this project thread buddy :)

I have been advised to put one of these in aswell

http://www.fqperformance.com/shop/p...=1766&osCsid=263f211a6d1a760b47d3e34d60bcecba

No idea what the hell it does. I have read the thread about 30 times. Still none the wiser:confused:

The key bit in that text is reducing the rotating mass. The less effort spent spinning lumps of metal within the engine the keener the engine will rev, meaning the turbo will spool up a little bit quicker too & of course, your engine will be a little lighter to boot.

Good luck with the upgrades, hope it all goes well for you. :bigsmile:

Last edited:
Cheers loz. Is there a difference between the two turbo housings? They both seem the same, just one is £40 cheaper than the other, and both come from the same complany. :confused:

I would eliminate the balancer shaft while you are there. Everyone does the same thing to the 16vt in the Coupe and Grale. And yes, you are loooong overdue a project thread!

Cheers loz. Is there a difference between the two turbo housings? They both seem the same, just one is £40 cheaper than the other, and both come from the same complany. :confused:

They appear to be identical, just one price is on Euro's they other in pounds (£15 difference), the only bit I'm not sure about is the title, one says it's is for a twin scroll turbo & the other just says turbo housing I'd probably email to the seller just to confirm their the same.

Can anyone on here with a better knowledge of turbos shed any more light on this please? :)

Sound like a good list there mate. Will watch to see how this turns out. I've got to have both rocker gaskest done soon and very tempted to fit uprated cams before the mapping session in Feb. I've only heard one cammed scooby before and they sound to puppies privates.

Just had my quote.

Kelford 268's - £475 (the pair) or HKS 264's £450 (the pair)

Piper Pullies - £200

Remap - £150 (ish)

Parts & Remap = £825

Install the 10.5t housing that i'll provide (£160 from Auction website)

All labour = £325 (fitting cams, dialing them in, installing the new turbo housing)

Total cost = £1310 (If I was to buy the kelfords not the hks cams)

What do you think? This does seem ok for the work that needs doing. I am planning on buying a front splitter (£350), exhaust guard (£80) and AMS spark cover (£65) from the same guy but wont say that till neer the time to see if I can get some money off if I buy in a lump.

About 340 (ish) now.

I am aiming for 410 after :amazed:

The change of the cams will allow me to up my boost from 1.6Bar to 1.9/2Bar. Plus the dial in pullies will allow the wizzard to alter the timings slightly and work some voodoo under the bonnet to get the engine to run different to how it is.

I have already had a larger elbow off the manifold, a straight through exhaust and D-cat. So the larger tubo housing is the cherry on the exhaust cake. This will alow excess and waste flow better. (its the housing of the Evo 10)

The guy doing it says he often gets results of around 410-415.

Anything over 400 would be awsom. :D

Well BBJ that does not seem like a lot of money you would be spending there for the additional performance you would be getting! :)

I know T9.

But after this, I would have to upgrade the Crank (£1500) Rods and Pistons (£3500) and springs (£1000) plus labour to acheave about an extra 100 bhp. Then change the turbo (AMS £4000 + Labour) for another 100bhp/150bhp, but might have to add a duel fuel pump, clutch, flywheel...... christ the list is endless!! :amazed:

So for around 100Bhp It will have cost me

Fuel pump, HKS Air filter, Exhaust, elbow, d-cat, cams, pullies, Evo9/10 tubo housing, sparks and remap (about £2000/£2500 total)

Not bad. :)

To add, realistically, I have absolutely no idea what I'm running just now.

So on the 17th of March when all you guys will be in Worcster, don't be drinking any drinks when my baby is on the rolling road, just incase it shows as 310bhp and you choke with laughter! :(

So BBJ you got a project thread up and i've just realised there's no pics of the beast.
What's all that about? :blink:
Get some pics up. ;)

Apparently it is looking a little the worse for wear, it has been neglected for four months while dad has been away absorbing the centigrades in Bahrain. I bet he will have that car shining and gleaming before he posts those pictures up ;)

Apparently it is looking a little the worse for wear, it has been neglected for four months while dad has been away absorbing the centigrades in Bahrain. I bet he will have that car shining and gleaming before he posts those pictures up ;)

Apparently it now has a pink roof as well!

You guys are going to pay for those remarks! I bet BBJ is plotting and hatching a diabolical scheme as we speak :lol:

Good news all.

I have just booked my car into Indigo GT in South Wales for a new set of Kelford Cams, and some adjustable pipper pullies and another Re-Map. Also ordered a new HKS air filter as mine was goosed and had to pop a standard one in for the time being.

They recon I will get at least 400bhp from the print out from there new Dyno at the wheels. All happy.

Getting it all done this Friday!! :D Cant wate.

This will mean that I won't be going to Worcster on the 17th as I will already have my dyno print out, sorry guys.

Marvellous stuff BBJ, it sounds like Friday night will be a fun journey home :)

Pardon my ignorance here BBJ :embarrest: but is it still OK to remap the car on the same day with a brand new set of cams installed that morning? do they not have to bed in first as they will be redlining the car on the rollers as part of the mapping process I would have thought!

I don't know T9? :confused: Never thought. The guys there know what they are doing. I can't imagine they would make a mistake like that.

Any how's, here is a picky of what my engine bay looks like just now, and a before and after picky of 4months of standing dirt and a good hot clean (twice to be honest)

Attachments

• 076.jpg
    076.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 9
  • 071.jpg
    071.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 6
  • 081.jpg
    081.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 085.jpg
    085.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 7
Quote: I don't know T9? Never thought. The guys there know what they are doing. I can't imagine they would make a mistake like that. End Quote.

Not sure either BBJ, it was just something that popped into my head :blink:

The car looks great by the way, I love the front view, it's got that "Get out of my way look" about the car! Must be quite a sight seeing that loom up in your rear view mirror! :bigsmile:

60% of people who know they are going 10mph under the speed limit or more tend to pull over slightly as they know I'll be going past, to help aid with a good view. 30% of drivers do nothing, and 10% think I am trying to race and put there foot down, which does me cos then I don't have to bother overtaking them :bigsmile:
Thanks T9.

I'd imagine they'd give you a safe map for the run in period for the cams then get you back in to dial the cams in properly and adjust the map.

That's exactly what I had with the Beast after the new engine went in TN.
Those first 1000 miles was seriously hard work with the milk float map that I had to endure! :amuse:

Quite the opposite with the cam, you don't really need to run it in as such but what you DO need to do is not let it idle whatsoever for the first 15 minutes (at least) or so as soon as the car is started, keep the revs steady at around 2k rpm. Load is high on the nose of the cam at low rpm so you'll fork it up before it's had chance to bed in if you let the car idle.

I'm sure your fitters will tell you the same/do this. If not, take it elsewhere.