My custom Mini Pickup

I just realized I had mentioned this little truck in my Corvair post, but not really posted anything else about it. Here is how it was 4 years ago when I finally convinced the owner it was not getting any better as a lawn ornament.

First_picture_in_yard.jpg

He said the original engine needed a timing chain and he couldn't find one, so he stored it in boxes and put a Suzuki engine in. While doing to he cut up the frame so badly that it couldn't stand on 4 wheels. It turned out that the original 998cc engine was totally rusted and missing a rod.
above.jpg

I ordered a bunch of parts from the UK and an engine from Chile. After more than a year of waiting for the engine, I ended up buying another one, this time a used front end from Japan. I've detailed everything on my site with lots of pics, but basically I've used the entire front, including the wider doors with roll-up windows, molded steel fender flares, added disc brakes, seat belts, and rebuilt the 1275 injected engine that I got. At the moment I am waiting on some transmission parts that are being made in the UK.

The doors took a lot of work to modify the body and cab, but I'm real glad I did it. Wiring was a problem as they actually sent me a 91 cabin with the 93 engine, so nothing was the same.

I added Fatmat to the floor and roof, then covered the roof with foam backed cloth. Still need to do the carpet.
Seat belts came out from the rear of a delivery van I bought new and for some reason had belts in the rear.

I located tail light lenses in the US and made new bezels out of melted beer cans.

Here are a few shots

torque_converter.jpg

bellhousing_on_engine.jpg

heating_to_bend.jpg

front_finished.jpg

right_front_finished.jpg

left_front_finished.jpg

left_rear_finished.jpg

tailgate_down.jpg

1975_Morris_Mini_pickup_with_Richard.jpg

Wow - amazing, glad you managed to save this car and restore it. Thanks for sharing it with us.

That takes me back, I used to race against a V8 powered Mini pick-up, plus a friend of mine built a 6 wheeled van. Looks stunning and impressive.

back in the 60's they were popular here ( USA)
Now a 2nd time. We are allover and different models.
A great little car.

wow amazing, i am so impressed and good work, car looks so gorgeous. this must be rare. is it a 1.3 engine or smaller? how did you manage all that in Bolivia, was it hard?

There are quite a few people reading this thread looking at the stats but we've not had any updates from you in a while any updates on this project is there any news?

What are your plans for the future? I'm sure you've got other projects on the go.

Just to update a couple of small things, I decided to put an oil temp gauge on it, so the best place was in the oil pan (that also serves as a transmission).
oil-temperature-sensor.jpg

front-temperature-sensor.jpg

Then I covered it with an aluminum skid plate
skid_plate.jpg

To quiet a bit of the engine noise, I added a piece of Dynamat Hoodliner to the hood, using an aluminized tape for the edges.
installing-hoodliner.jpg

Dynamat-Hoodliner-installed.jpg

And finally, I picked up some marine vinyl in the US for a bed cover with snaps.
bed_cover.jpg

The neat thing is watching everyone stare in wonder. The toll taker always wants to talk about whichever car I drive up in.

As for the question of other projects. For the moment none. I plan on driving the four I have:
1960 Corvair, 1988 BMW 325ic, 1962 Renault Dauphine (almost finished) and this Mini pickup.

Not to say that if the right car showed up I might not change my mind. But there is a limit to how many cars you can drive and maintain.