MY current capri project

I bought the car in 2002 for £250 and have since spent an ever increasing amount of money on it, a year ago I decided to bite the bullet and as I had made a few contacts and friends in the right circles I booked it in for an engine rebuild but as things went on we found more and more things causing problems (rust mainly) and it turned into a bit of a nightmare. I really have a thing for classic motors so I pushed on and volunteered my services after work and at the weekends. It has been a long road but things are starting to come good and I am hoping to have it all finished for the show at the end of June. Unfortunately I cannot afford a respray and all the work besides so please excuse the mismatching panels.

It did look quite good
Camera115.jpg

then the rrust started to win
Picture246.jpg

and now its got a dirty great hole in the floor
Picture259.jpg

Picture261.jpg

This months pics
Picture262.jpg

No engine
Picture264.jpg

But new floor
Picture265.jpg

And rear part of cage is in
Picture267.jpg

01/10/06
Well at least someone was working on it
Picture268.jpg

But I don't think it's gooing anywhere at the moment
Picture269.jpg

08/10/06
oooh pretty
Picture312.jpg

But new rust :evil:
Picture313.jpg

I have fitted some new gauges in the cluster. I've been a bit optamistic on the speedo though lol.
Picture314.jpg

I have got some 2 1/4 inch exhaust from a V8 drag racer fitted.
Starting here
Picture321.jpg

To silencers
Picture320.jpg

To these tail pieces
Picture322.jpg

I found this bonnet up the workshop and talked him into trying to fit it onto mine.
Picture327.jpg

Picture328.jpg

capri's don't have troubles by fitting bigger engines, they got enough space under the hood, most european cars of that era had huge spaces under the hoods.
i guess americans aimed to sell europeans hemi engines lol.

Well to get it low enough not to upset the suspension or bash the hood I am modifying the sump to get clearance and have cut the front cross member to get the engine far enough forward to get the gearbox to sit right for ground clearance. I only get to work on it when we are quiet so will probably have some more pics next week once the car mods are done.

Well peeps I have clearance.
Photo0051.jpg

Photo0052.jpg

Photo0053.jpg

Photo0054.jpg

It's got the manifolds, gearbox, alternator and PAS pump mounted on it and it still fits in.
Just got to make up some mounts for the engine and the gearbox and it will be ready for a test fire.

Its a 5.0 efi out of a ord bronco but to simlify things for now I have banged a carb manifold on it running a 600 cfm holley.

Right got another update bit more progress.
Invested in some new tyres
Photo0055.jpg

Which look pretty good.
Photo0056.jpg

V8 is in and sitting on engine moutnts
Photo0058.jpg

Sits nice and low aswell
Photo0059.jpg

And best yet the bonnet fits
Photo0057.jpg

Need to get the gearbox mount made then I can get it moved onto a ramp and have a look at the sump mods needed.

Mocked up the gearbox mount
Photo0060.jpg

Photo0061.jpg

Should be strong enough I hope.
Photo0062.jpg

Made up a gear lever which has now been turned up nicely and is spot on for me.
Photo0064.jpg

and got it up on a rmp looking at doing the exhasut not sure how to run at the moment.

i looooove that bonnet!, and v8, need to post a video of it starting up and let us hear that v8 roar!

Well I need to build the sump for it as I had to cut it off to get it to sit in there right and buy a flywheel and clutch as the one I bought doesn't seem to be the right one after all. But when it finally does run I shall put up a video.

Watching this thread with massive interest chap, top work so far and massive kudos for not giving up after the many setbacks you've had! she will be worth it in the end mate, no doubt about that!

not really sure. Lost the rear seats but put in cage, took out the V6 and put in the V8, replaced the four speed cast iron gearbox with a 5 speed aluminium box so would think a little over the 1.2 tonnes standard. Not sure of the engine power from the bronco should be something like 185 bhp @ 4000 rpm and 275 lb ft @ 3000 rpm. But engine will have potential for a fair bit more with enough money spent at it.

take it you didnt watch the vid
doh_slaphead.gif

the v8 engine sounds nice!!!
keep up the good work. i would really like to see another
great british classic returned on to the road!!!
icon6.gif

:lol: I did try it last night, honest! would not play for me :embarrest: Think i'll go back to I.E as Safari is being a litttle rascal at the mo! Opened it now and the car sounds great! was the exhaust attached as the old girl sounded very throaty! :amuse:

The vid through the screen didn't have exhaust just manifolds. The side vid has the exhausts on it you can see the pipe in front of the rear wheel.

Damn right, still have a couple of big hurdles though need to get a prop made which I think I have a handle on and then got to sort out a rad for it but the size of rad it needs is bigger than the space I have so need to spend some time asking the right questions.

Kevlar twin plate clutch and flywheel coming in tuesday. Which means I can put the gearbox on permanently. Got a guy on the rad with a few choice cuts got the full sized rad to fit (in theory)then prop and a bit of wiring and we are on for the MOT.

Well this is a pic of the kevlar friction plate which I put next to a standard astra clutch to give you an idea how big it was but probably best to gauge it against the microwave lol.
Photo0084.jpg

Got it installed now the gearbox is on for good (I hope) exhaust next then find the £480 for the custom built aluminium radiator.
Photo0085.jpg

I love Capri's. I want one for my wedding car! I don't like the wheels really, too modern imo, but i like what your doing with the car really, it's different...i like classic's looking like standard or rallied up. Anyways, keep up the good work, i wanna see some more pictures of the outside :D

Well the wheels cost me £40 which gave me money for other things. I am looking to get some nice 15" alloys like the cobra centrelines or something but that can wait for now.