MY current capri project

I bought the car in 2002 for £250 and have since spent an ever increasing amount of money on it, a year ago I decided to bite the bullet and as I had made a few contacts and friends in the right circles I booked it in for an engine rebuild but as things went on we found more and more things causing problems (rust mainly) and it turned into a bit of a nightmare. I really have a thing for classic motors so I pushed on and volunteered my services after work and at the weekends. It has been a long road but things are starting to come good and I am hoping to have it all finished for the show at the end of June. Unfortunately I cannot afford a respray and all the work besides so please excuse the mismatching panels.

It did look quite good
Camera115.jpg

then the rrust started to win
Picture246.jpg

and now its got a dirty great hole in the floor
Picture259.jpg

Picture261.jpg

This months pics
Picture262.jpg

No engine
Picture264.jpg

But new floor
Picture265.jpg

And rear part of cage is in
Picture267.jpg

01/10/06
Well at least someone was working on it
Picture268.jpg

But I don't think it's gooing anywhere at the moment
Picture269.jpg

08/10/06
oooh pretty
Picture312.jpg

But new rust :evil:
Picture313.jpg

I have fitted some new gauges in the cluster. I've been a bit optamistic on the speedo though lol.
Picture314.jpg

I have got some 2 1/4 inch exhaust from a V8 drag racer fitted.
Starting here
Picture321.jpg

To silencers
Picture320.jpg

To these tail pieces
Picture322.jpg

I found this bonnet up the workshop and talked him into trying to fit it onto mine.
Picture327.jpg

Picture328.jpg

not sure as not played around with supchargers but as its the pulley that determines the boost level it might be ok as less air is being forced into the cylinders.
claymore would be the man to ask as he likes playing about with things like that

Quick update.
3 Hours in have the inlet manifold, exhaust manifolds, distributor, air filter, carb and heads off.
I have cleaned the caked on crap out of the center gallery.
Fitted valve springs into the replacement heads ready to go on.
Cleaned the sealing face for the new head gaskets.
Just need to take the heads to work to get the studs out.
Not a bad start.

4 Hours in:
Stripped down the spare engine to assess hwo to fit the new timing gear.
Stripped front of fitted engine.
Fitted new timing gear.

I am going to have the heads skimmed slightly just to ensure they are flat as they have been sat around and moved from place to place and for £37.50 per head would be silly not to whilst I have them off ( and it will increase compression ratio slightly.
Will be looking to rebuild it all tomorrow night although I don't think I am going to the Ace cafe meet anymore as everyone I was going with has now pulled out. TYPICAL.

Properly narked off now spent most of yesterday cleanign the caked on dirt off of the pieces of the engine that I had disassembled and putting it back together new gaskets sealant the lot. Turn it over by hand nothing hitting no funny noises, change the oil, try to start it and nothing. Okay timing must be off where I took the distributor out, so spent about an hour checking and moving the dizzy until its going about where it should be try again nothing tries to fire sounds like it wants to run but wont. Finally got it to run after a fashion and sound like a bag of spanners.
Reset all the valve gaps checking timing all okay now it runs and sounds like a slightly emptier bag of spanners. The prognosis is now the the new timing gear is 1 tooth out which is equal to 5 degrees camshaft timing and 10 degrees on the crank but to get to it means taking all the nice new gaskets back off and hoping I dont wreck them in the process......COSMIC :)

Need to win it on ebay first. Not sure if I will get it rebuilt first or just get it in and working then sort it out as I go. Trying not to spend a fortune on getting it done.

I absolutley Adore the Capri's one of my all time favorite but i prefer the Mark I with the V4 engine i really want one of these though Good luck mate i really hope you make it into the beast it once was

I absolutley Adore the Capri's one of my all time favorite but i prefer the Mark I with the V4 engine i really want one of these though Good luck mate i really hope you make it into the beast it once was

something new learned: v4 engine.
something i thought didn't exist, lolzzz......

Usually used in the corsair good little power plant but had reliabiltity issues have worked on one in a transit motorhome. Had to build an exhaust for it from manifolds back from scratch for work. Sounded the nuts.

I'm not going to be running the injection first off on the new engine as I need to get a megasquirt ecu and get it setup to run the fuel so I will be using the carb and manifold for a while should be good I have got some ford motorsport manifolds for it aswell and will be ordering a tremec type 55 gearbox in a week or so.

Got the gearbox test fitted just need to make a couple of mods then nearly ready to go in.
Photo0011.jpg

put the tubular headers on aswell not sure how well they are gonna fit when its all in the car but we shall see.
Photo0012.jpg

not sure not much further to go now just got to have a measure up then make some engine mounts, modify exhaust manifolds, make two 2.5" exhaust systems, get a propshaft made, make a gearbox mount, get some bolts to hold the gearbox to the engine, get a clutch, get a clutch release arm, get the alternator and mount and fit the same, run the aux drive belt, time it up and then....... all things being equal I might be able to test it to see if it even runs :) WOO

not sure not much further to go now just got to have a measure up then make some engine mounts, modify exhaust manifolds, make two 2.5" exhaust systems, get a propshaft made, make a gearbox mount, get some bolts to hold the gearbox to the engine, get a clutch, get a clutch release arm, get the alternator and mount and fit the same, run the aux drive belt, time it up and then....... all things being equal I might be able to test it to see if it even runs :) WOO

Aah so tomorrow afternoon about 3 then! :lol:

Have looked at doing side exit rather than side pipes so the exhaust woul finish just infront of the rear wheels but as I have chassis link bars under the car it means it will need to be raised at the rear to get the ground clearance. I was thinking of making just a simple exhaust and having two dump pipes just in front of the rear axle that I can put some extensions on to when it comes to mot time.

I like the idea of cutting short the exhaust in front of the axle that would sound awesome, but it's gonna sound awesome anyway with that 302 in there, what did the engine come out of originally?

With a bit of cutting finally got the starter to fit past the block
Photo0015.jpg

But the flywheel i had bought was wrong so had to fit this aluminium flywheel
Photo0016.jpg

the alternator and mount I ordered from america turned up this week as well so it now has a belt routed on it
Photo0017.jpg

And with a bit of wire and a switch this happened

Have looked at doing side exit rather than side pipes so the exhaust woul finish just infront of the rear wheels but as I have chassis link bars under the car it means it will need to be raised at the rear to get the ground clearance. I was thinking of making just a simple exhaust and having two dump pipes just in front of the rear axle that I can put some extensions on to when it comes to mot time.

in that case, it's not worth doing side exhausts.
however, putting them on the sides behind the rer wheels, would look unique, and would beg you bro, don't put too much fiber glas in it, keep it muscle.

Will need to make a final decision on the exhaust once its all seated in there I think. Not sure what to do about ground clearance either as it has chassis links under it which sit down about 1.5 inches running a 2.5 inch exhaust gives me a min height of 4 inces and thats not allowing for speed bumps of course might end up with some nice 200lb springs on the coil overs in the rear and have the back jacked up to help clear.
And no the only fibre going on it is the bonnet and that come off. Got some proper abs plastice sideskirts and rear valance to go on along with the ford motorsport front splitter.

By the way I think I cocked up with the last picture it should be a video but if you click on it it redirects you (it did top out my mic though).

Got the car on a ramp today and had a quick measure up to see where the engine and gearbox all comes to:-
From the back of the rad to the gear lever on the V6-52 inches
From the front most point to the gear lever on the V8-56 inches
We are thinking of losing the rad under the front slam panel sort of a stealth tactic but will have to see what room we have once we can get it into the workshop and start ripping it apart.