Torque Cars

My carputer install

Discussion in 'ICE installs' started by pgarner, 13 November 2008.

1. turbonutter69

turbonutter69 TC ModFather Moderator

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    I may well take this route with my install. But I'd have to find somewhere to mount the motherboard and hard drives seperately. The boot is not an option. I don't think under the seats is deep enough so it looks like the dash may have to house them in 2 different locations. I'm gonna have to do a bit of research and find out whats behind and above the glovebox.

2. pgarner

pgarner TC ModFather Moderator

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    you dont need that much depth, this is one of the most comonly used automotive cases voom2 dimentions of this are : Dimensions:210(W)x265(L)x66(H)mm
    my case is only 47mm high but its the lengh that stopped me fitting it uner a aset

3. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    When my car come off the road i'll start taking some measurements to see where I can put things. I'm hoping I can hide everything behind the dash somehow...

4. pgarner

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    remove the interior of the glove box, the bit that moves apart for the door, and fit everything inside there should get away with it as i think the primera has quite a big glovebox

5. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Thats what I was thinking stripping the hatch of the glovebox and mounting it on there so I could open the glove box to reveal the motherboard. And the hard drive will fit just about anywhere. The more I think about this idea the more I want to do it....

6. pgarner

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    just watch the pennies
    think i might have to fork out for a new HD. got it working refitted it and it stopped again this ime saying files were missing, cloned over the disc image i had stored on the laptop (contained everything other than media) and tried again still got the same message. tried it out with a 20gb hd that ive had lying around for a while same image worked fine. Currently doing a full format on it and at 360gb its taken an Hour so far and its only looking at around 10%

7. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Oh dear could be there all night then. Hope you got plenty of coffee...:bigsmile:
    I wonder if I could strip a tower for the hard drive bracket and use that to mount a hard drive somewhere?

8. pgarner

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    yeah that was my basic idea as was going to build a custom case outa perspex but decided against it. most cases, including the one i gave yyou a link for , have the mouting points for a hard disc. just watch out and check what size they are set for alot of automotive cases use a 2.5" drive rather than the 3.5" desktop size

9. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    I was think of mounting everything without a case. I'd make a tray for the motherboard to sit on inside the glovebox and a cage round the hard drive mounted under the dash somewhere. I couldn't put it under the seat cause i'm clumsy and tend to spill the odd bit of pop. How big are power inverters? As this would have to find home behind the dash too.

10. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Oh yeah an what about when the cars moving? Like pot holes an rough roads. Won't this damage the motherboard an hard drive?

11. pgarner

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    Power inverter - imusing the common m2atx gives 160w over the 3 rails and its huge, maybe 150 X 50 mm and most cases will accept this. if my board hadnt been so heavy on the 5v rail i was looking towards the m3atx which just plugs into the power socket on the motherboard.
    motherboard has no real moving parts other than the fans so there fine with knocks. Hard disc hoever theres lots of theroys floating about
    use a 2.5" drive as these have better tolarnces
    mount the drive vertically so the heads dont hit the platters instead they move along with it.
    rubber mount kits are avalible (small o rings that you can pick up for a few pence rather than the prices one place wanted) which help dampen the bounce.

me im sticking with the HD hard mounted to the case which wll be mounted to a sheet of wood on the back seat ( hide the wiring underneath it for a neater install)

12. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Sounds good mate cheers for the tips... I think i'm gonna start getting little bits every now an then....:D

13. pgarner

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    telling you ebay is your frien for everything.
    also check out http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/ for alot of hints. just watch out theres a few ............... on there ask a simple question and theyll just ignore it or tell you to search as its been aske before

14. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Cheers mate nice 1 I'll have a search around on there...:D:D

15. pgarner

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    Ok well after a total of 17 hours doing a full format and running a disc checker program to check for damaged sectors i have a working har disc again.
    now just need to copy al the media back across again and itll be ready to whack in the car

16. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Thats good then mate least you don't need a new Hd....:D:D

17. pgarner

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    yeah there is that, just a shame that i changd alot of settings after i took the copy of the mge so trying to ge these all set back up then going to take another image.
    just in case.

cant get mappoint to embed properly it works when you class it as iguidence but the buttons dont work. when you mark it up as mappoint it loads up then disappers.
    problem being that it was written for the american version rather than the euope one.
    think i might have to email the guy and find out how to change the settings

should say autoroute became mappoint

18. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    Keep me posted mate i'm very interested in seeing how your project ends up mate. But it's starting to come together nicely mate..

19. pgarner

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    well i used map point to get down to essex the day.
    much better than the old autoroute that it replased, now does out recaucuate if you go off route but even thou its the 2009 edition its still out of date, alot of the roundaouts on the A1(m) are gone and its still looking for them but at least it works out a new route as soon as it sees you back on track.

womans voice is pretty bad but thats easily changed

yeah just need to sort out the wiring,
    trip to maplin for the battery and finish fabbing the screen, hope to make more progress next week on this as off until friday however dont get back home until early hours of tuesday.
    and get 2 short 4mm bolts (approx 15mm) but will get these from work as not paying £2 odd for 4 outo homebase as my local ironmonger doesnt go that small

20. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Enjoy your break matey. You'll get it all sorted.

21. pgarner

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    yeah am hoping ill have it ready to go in during jan at some point. im lucky as need black paint for the cadets to paint ammo boxes so ill be borrowing whats left

22. pgarner

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    yeah but bit worried, mate that were staying with bought us snowboarding lessons for xmas, so were going tomorrow

23. turbonutter69

Alone in the dark.
    Car:
    Insignia SRI.
    That'll be loads of fun. Go and enjoy yourself mate....:D:D

24. pgarner

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    yeah so she says, kening my luck the wife will have to drive all the way back up

25. pgarner

Lockerbie, SW Scotland
    Car:
    Octy smoke machine
    Well got 1st coat of filler on the top, not looking too bad me thinks.
    will require another possible 2 coats and sanding down to make it nice and perfectly smooth.
    [​IMG]
    just need to wait until i get my torx keys back so i can check the climtronic will still fit before painting