My car wants scrapping!!!!!!!!!

turbonutter69

TC ModFather
Car
Insignia SRI.
Ok i'm fed up of the car now. Been back to Ford more times and all the Mechanics there can't find the fault. :mad:

Ok so when I pull off from a standstill I can hear and feel through the car a knock. It's a single knock and it sounds like it's somewhere close to the bulkhead but the engine side of it.
Ford had it once and supposedly "glued" the driveshafts. I have no idea why they thought this would fix it.:blink:
Anyway got it back with same fault, so took it back and they can't find it.:mad:
So what do I do now?
Also I keep having major brake issues as well which, Yes you guessed it they can't find a problem with that either.:sad2:
Anybody have any idea what could be wrong?
When it knocks it feels to me like the whole engine is moving?????
For those that don't know the car is a 2009 Focus 1.6 Zetec. It's done around 30 odd thousand miles.

Is it still under warranty? How long has it been doing this for?

I take it they have checked the obvious like engine mounts etc? Steering rack mounts? As with any unusual knocking sounds it's a process of elimination.

Yep they say they've had it up on the ramp and alsorts but can't find a fault.
Me and my dad have also checked the mounts and they seem fine.

Bizarre! and more worryingly that the might of Ford cannot find the faults after several visits to them :amazed:
Is there any route through motobility TN to apply a little pressure at the garage on your behalf?

Only once and when you pull off? Does it happen even when you pull away gently? If it only happens when you pull away aggressively that would suggest a mount issue, but then you'd expect more than just a single knock on take off (aggressive gear changes for example). If it happens even when you engage the clutch gently you could be looking at a driveshaft/clutch/gearbox issue. End float perhaps.

Doesn't matter how I pull away. Although it is louder on a hill start. Sometimes makes the same noise when I lift of an touch the brakes.
It's like somthing is moving out of place when I pull away and the slotting back in when I press the brake.:blink:

Has anything been adapted on it? I know you say it's a motability car but wondered if it had been modified at all? Does sound like a worn or loose mount allowing the drivetrain to move under load, have they checked the gearbox and selector assembly mounts/bushes? Or it could be exhaust?

Not been modified in anyway. Except for my TC sticker :lol:
They tell me they've checked all the mounts etc.
It's not the exhaust.
If I hold the gear lever I can feel the thump. And also through the pedals and steering wheel.???

It is end float in one of the driveshafts or the gearbox being taken up as you engage the clutch I'm at least 4% sure.

Not an exhaust or mount problem if it's ONLY doing it on launch, and even under gentle launch. Has it just developed or is it something that's always been there?

It's been there since last year it started only doing it every now and then.
Seems to happen more in warmer weather or when the engine has been run for a while.
Now though with the days a bit warmer it does it from start-up.
It makes the same noise when I hit the brakes as well it's like something is moving.
I asked if it was clutch/gearbox related but i've no idea how far they've dug.
Only problem is when I take it to the garage it's always bloody cold in the morning and it doesn't do it for them.
I've had one mechanic in the car with me that has heard it but he still couldn't solve it?

They've had the driveshafts out and glued them back in so surely if it was a driveshaft issue then they would of spotted it.

Don't say it's a bloody driveshaft anyway I went through enough with my Primera.:lol::lol::lol:

It's the splines they glue I'm guessing and the glue won't stop it, maybe temporarily. The fact that they glued them showed that they DO know where the problem lies but they can't fix it because the driveshafts themselves don't fit properly.

I'm guessing it will only get worse.

Last edited:
Way ahead of you my man. Been to 2 different one's. The first was rubbish that's why I changed to this one near me.
They've been great except for this problem.

I had a similer knock on a diesel rover it turned out to be front exhaust mount come off but i knew straight away as when i moved gear knob side side i could feel it.You should take it to non ford garages get a few opinions.

It has to go to GK Ford because of the warranty.
Think i'm going to book it back in again next week and tell them I don't want it back until they have found and fixed the fault.
If they refuse or can't find the problem then I may try and contact Ford UK and see what they will do for me.

It has to go to GK Ford because of the warranty.
Think i'm going to book it back in again next week and tell them I don't want it back until they have found and fixed the fault.
If they refuse or can't find the problem then I may try and contact Ford UK and see what they will do for me.

When you do contact Ford UK TN, and if you feel that they are starting to fob you off a little; try mentioning that you will now start ringing around some researchers for consumer rights programmes on the TV! As it would be very interesting to see if this particular problem has been brought to their attention before, and if it has not, then you would like to highlight your case with them. See what happens!

That's Ford of old not new.;)
Mine must of been made friday afternoon just before knock off time.:lol:
Try and slate the Focus but all you'll get is knocked down.;)
It's one of the best selling cars in the UK.