My car feels sluggish after new drive belt + tensioner fitted, why ? ( not timing belt )

FastLife91

Torque Junkie
Car
Ford Focus mk2
Hi all

My car had a new drive belt and tensioner fitted and right away after this the car instantly feels less responsive, I think It is more noticeable in 2nd 3rd and 4 th gear . It is usually when driving up a hill I notice it more being hesitant. sometimes I have to have the pedal pressed to the floor for a few seconds for it to get the power
When I was on motorway I had accelerator to the floor, it wouldn't go above 70 mph unless I kept my foot on the accelerator it would finally increase speed after 10 - 15 seconds . It feels as though when I drive up a hill in 2nd it feels as though its in 3rd, if I'm driving in 3rd it feels like its in 4th.

It still has power if I am cruising along on a flat road it seems to pull in all gears as normal ( apart from a few times on motorway where it reaches a certain speed and won't go above it unless pedal is pressed down for 10 seconds or so ) but it seems more noticeable going up an incline.

I have drove 60 k in this car and have owned it for 3 years, never has it had this problem until I changed the drive belt and also I accidentally pressed down to hard on the maf wiring as I was putting the air box back in so I am wondering if I have damaged the maf sensor/wiring in doing this ?

A previous car I owned had maf issues and was displaying a similar issue .

The engine light is not on as I think the bulb has blown it has never illuminated since I had the car not even with ignition on and engine off . My car basic diagnostic code reader shows no codes

any advice is very much apprecieted

I am not familiar with your car BUT commonsense and logic tells me that the drive belt is not the problem so as the only other thing you did was pressing on the MAF wiring or connectors so I would check that all the connectors are properly clean and that there are no breaks in the wires going into it and that each wire is properly seated into the connector then spray with WD40 and remove and clean the MAF sensor as if they get oil on them that can cause problems with fueling.

Don't forget to let us know exactly what the cause was and the fix as it may help others in the same situation.

PS Did you leave a cleaning rag or something in the air box ??

I am not familiar with your car BUT commonsense and logic tells me that the drive belt is not the problem so as the only other thing you did was pressing on the MAF wiring or connectors so I would check that all the connectors are properly clean and that there are no breaks in the wires going into it and that each wire is properly seated into the connector then spray with WD40 and remove and clean the MAF sensor as if they get oil on them that can cause problems with fueling.

Don't forget to let us know exactly what the cause was and the fix as it may help others in the same situation.

PS Did you leave a cleaning rag or something in the air box ??
Hi and thanks for your helpful response.
I was putting the air box in and as I was levering the airbox in I didn't realise the wiring was underneath so I was pressing the box down on top of the wiring, I am not sure if that was the wiring for the maf as it has 2 seperate lots of wires they are covered in plastic stuff to protect them and further at the top of those 2 wires a third bit of wiring comes out from one of them which is the maf wiring that goes into the air box.

My basic code reader showed a maf code but that was only because it was unplugged while taking it out to do the belt, after I reset the code it didn't come back on again, maybe a better diagnostic will show if there is a code. no enginel ight is on as the bulb has either been removed or it is blown I think.

When you say check for breaks do you mean visible breaks ? The plastic casing on the wires look undamaged so I am wondering maybe the wires are ok if the plastic over them looks ok ? I think I will have a look and make sure they are squished or something.
I have electrical cleaner. Is it okay to spray the maf plug that clips onto the sensor and also the pins on the sensor is it ok to clean them as well ?
As I was fitting the drive belt it was raining and the engine got wet and water may have got into the connector or maf pins or doewn air hose ?

how would I clean this type of maf sensor ? it is inside on an oval shaped thing and I don't think it coms out of it ?

It's a bit hard to diagnose from the other side of the world and it comes down to a process of elimination. Electrical cleaner first on the connectors then WD40 and connect them back together after making sure that all wires are nice and tight in the pins as you may have dislodged one of them when you pushed down on harness or connectors.

You will need to clean the MAF with a degreaser and GENTLY hose off and dry it in the sun before re- installing.