My baby is getting a make over!

bigbadjoe

Pro Tuner
Car
Evo 8 @ 400bhp
After all the humming and harring I have decided to keep my baby. And give her a little make over. There are so many projects out there, but if I sell, then I will never be as happy again.

So I have decided to give her some new cams, and another remap.

Work to be done.

VDZ cams (266 one side, 268 the other) - £400
Pullies - £239
Full timing belt kit ? Got to be at least £100
Dial in Cams
Remap
MOT - £50
All labour

All for £1250

It seems reasonable to me. That would mean that the remap and labour would be around £460. Witch seems fair.

What are your thoughts??

That's going to be quite a missile you will have there BBJ and for not too much money either by the look of it ;)

But, and forgive my ignorance here! why the two different cams for each side? :embarrest:

Yeah, im looking for around 410-430 bhp. She is sitting at around 320-340 just now, but that is with the turbo turned down to 1.5 bar. Once I get the new cams in, I can crank that up to around 1.9 - 2bar (full) and see what I get out of it. The garage said that the mix of 266 and 268 cams offers a greater power delivery low down then installing the straight 272's in. You have to work the engine very hard to get higher power witht he 272's.

The second remap will help. The good thing is, is after I got the first remap, the garage will do it time and time again at only the cost of labour per hour.

That's going to be quite a missile you will have there BBJ and for not too much money either by the look of it ;)

But, and forgive my ignorance here! why the two different cams for each side? :embarrest:

I asked that question as well. He said on the evo's if you have a higher exhaust cam with the right pullie setting it gives far better preformace. I dont understand in total to be honest. But these guys only deal in Evo's. They advertise for jap performance, but when you go and see them, all you will see are evo's and the odd skyline. Indigo GT they are called.

Here are my cams

http://www.shop.indigo-gt.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=3805

Sounds good. Both my mates FQ-320 MR's are comfortably over 400bhp and they are machines.

Yeah, the problem now is after this upgrade, everything ells I do to her will cost £££££. Without touching the engine (pistons, rods ect) I could put in a larger turbo, and that is about it. Anything after is going to involve the engine and cost a fortune. I was looking at valves, springs, piston and rod kits, witch are a little over £2500.

Plus labour.

I need to get to a rolling road after it is done. Just so I can say for sure that I have a motor with more than 400bhp

Yeah, the problem now is after this upgrade, everything ells I do to her will cost £££££. Without touching the engine (pistons, rods ect) I could put in a larger turbo, and that is about it. Anything after is going to involve the engine and cost a fortune. I was looking at valves, springs, piston and rod kits, witch are a little over £2500.

Plus labour.

I need to get to a rolling road after it is done. Just so I can say for sure that I have a motor with more than 400bhp

The best of luck with getting that 400bhp BBJ! post up some photos of the RR session when it happens if you can :)

The best of luck with getting that 400bhp BBJ! post up some photos of the RR session when it happens if you can :)

Will do. I need to get my life sorted. Cant put any pictures up on me computer I'm using. Doesn't let me. So need to get internet working at home so I can sort my TC profile out.

Have you got a boost controller? I've herd good things about the Autronics setup on the EVO. Bigred on here had one installed on his TM evo a few years back.

Have you got a boost controller? I've herd good things about the Autronics setup on the EVO. Bigred on here had one installed on his TM evo a few years back.

Yeah, its quite an old one. Its a HKS, not the last model or the one before, but the one before that. Around 2000 year I think. Simple to use. You have two settings. Normal and overboost. You set your normal so when your driving around between 2-5rpm it will bost at (mine at the mo is set at) 1.2 bar. When you put your foot down will overboost to 1.55 Bar.

Once I get the cams set up and the aftermarket pullies set correctly, should be able to boost up to 2 bar :amazed:. But the guy said, its not all about the boost. If you boost to much, it can actually slow you down. Due to air flow out of the exhaust. This shouldn't affect me as I have an aftermarket elbow and larger exhaust housing. Air flow should be sweet.

The remap is set up on the road. So I will not have a correct BHP reading. He will install his ready made maps onto the CPU, but then alter them slightly to my driving style. So if he was to put a 410 bhp map on, it could be 415 after a few tests, or 405 depending on how I drive. The car will be set up to me.

The fist time I had the map done, he told me to drive around the town for 15 min, just to see when I change gear, brake (ill spell it correctly now as HDI prob aint reading! lol) and excellarate. They are really good there.