My A3 is better made than my A4

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I've noticed a few things between my old A3 and the new A4 leaving me to conclude that the A3 is better made and of a higher quality.

Firstly the panels are much thicker, you can't easily bend a panel when pressing it. The A4 panels are much thinner and will flex as you clean them.

The sun visors in the A3 have mirrors and a cover and when you slide open the cover a light pops on just above it.

The doors in the A3 have red lights that appear when the door is opened. The A4 has reflectors and that's about it.

The A3 has little drawers under the front seats which the A4 does not.

The A3 does 35 mpg but the A4 only gives me about 28 mpg at the moment!

(The A4 quattro is a lot quicker and more fun in the corners so I think that makes up for it.)

do thicker panels mean a better made car? they would certainly make a heavier and less efficient car, in my view it'll be the quattro system in the A4 that is the reason for returning less mpg and as it's new to you, the honeymoon/shakedown period still applies where you go everywhere at 7000rpm (at least that's what i do when i get a new one) you'll still be comparing it to the A3 in a years time trying to justify why you bought it, but you really don't need to because it's quicker, handles better, more practical, better looking and better equipped than the A3, which were the reasons you bought it in the first place ;)

Last edited:
Didn't Audi give the S-Line thinner pannels anyway to save weight? I thought they did away with silly things you dont really need in order to maintain a nice performance car in the S-Line's?

Didn't Audi give the S-Line thinner pannels anyway to save weight? I thought they did away with silly things you dont really need in order to maintain a nice performance car in the S-Line's?

I was thinking this my self as after all, it is a Quattro!

S-line is mostly just a trim level, nothing to do with performance. You might be thinking of the "S" models.

thinner panels mean they will absorb the impact better if you crash it / someone crashes into you.

the a4 is full time quattro where as the a3 is haldex quattro and you probably rarely had it in 4wd - hense the poorer fuel economy along with your probably having fun with it
the vanity mirrors are good with the little light in your wanting to read, they arent that distracting

thinner panels mean they will absorb the impact better if you crash it / someone crashes into you.

the a4 is full time quattro where as the a3 is haldex quattro and you probably rarely had it in 4wd - hense the poorer fuel economy along with your probably having fun with it
the vanity mirrors are good with the little light in your wanting to read, they arent that distracting

Thinner is better? Would have thought thicker to be more sturdier! learn something new everyday ;)

thicker would mean the poor pedestrian that steps out in front of you might not make it and that would be a shame.

I suppose your right PG! :( but if it happens to be one of my neighbours who does not know the length of his own car and parks about 6 inches away from my car, so I have to knock and wake him up at 3 in the morning when i'm on a call out, yet still he does not learn! does this count as being ok to knock the pedestrian down? ;) Just curious you understand :)

your a doctor youll know these accidents just sometimes happen
smiley-sign0151.gif
smiley-sign0151.gif

I suppose your right PG! :( but if it happens to be one of my neighbours who does not know the length of his own car and parks about 6 inches away from my car, so I have to knock and wake him up at 3 in the morning when i'm on a call out, yet still he does not learn! does this count as being ok to knock the pedestrian down? ;) Just curious you understand :)

if you did hit him the rapid response would be very good lmao :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

for who ? the driver of the pedestrian ?
thicker panels would be more rigid and absorb less of the impact. better for the driver in an impact but more likely to kill the drunk that stumbles out in front of you

Re: Sun Visor, door lights & drawers.

They all sound like easy enough upgrades maybe you can do some parts bin interior mods. ;) It wouldn't suprise me if the wiring for the red lights in the doors is there & you just need to swap out the reflectors.

I raced several times in A3 and A4 only prefer to present the unit. I'm pretty sure that the B8 is a step forward. OTOH, we still have the impression of reading ... let alone experience with the new AT is Avant.

Well, I prefer the handling of the A4 in the TT of two liters (quarts TT AWD can be anything).

Therefore, I would go to the A4 Avant, but in reality (whatever that is) I'll probably end up sedan, why not go to me.