my 1991 Renault 5 GT Turbo

hi people thought id post a few pics of my r5 gt turbo i bought this car for 1k and what a bargain it is :D

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

DSC00006-1.jpg

Image0155.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

Image0156.jpg

Jamie Shaw managed 350bhp from the defenseless 1.4 over 10 years ago. ;)

not wanting to seem like a know it all, but that is one of the biggest myths in the r5 scene, it was at best 220-230bhp.

its like the claimed figures from ktec and gt tuning were also way off the mark, the only tuner back in the day that were pretty much bang on was ep motorsport who built the twin engined r5gtt and also had a very quick single engined drag car that did a 12 flat 1/4 mile back in 2005

just as a note the absolute limit of a c1j with the carb in place is around 240-250bhp, more has been got by adding custom injector set up to supply more fuel etc. im pretty much nearly at the limit of what can be done with my engine if i can make another 5-10bhp and a slice more torque then id be very happy

if you want to stay carb then get a Holley 4 Barrel on there :)

I'm kidding, Obviously it wouldn't fit, but theres plenty of flow potential there....

a long overdue update

i was seriously toying with the idea of selling the car and having a break from the whole car scene for a while, but i have decided to keep it an hopefully get some good use out of it this year.

first job is to renew the wiring for the fuel pump as its gone dodgy and as a result the car wont start, iv still not got to the bottom of the turbo boost issue i cant find any leaks or anything so i will be sending the turbo back to my mate for a check over just incase something is a miss there.

update from 23/02/2014
well guys after a a long overdue delay i can now say the car is finally back alive :clap:

first off i have to say a huge thanks to ex RTOC member GT Josh (josh reeves) for taking time on a saturday to head upto Stoke from Oldham and spend a good 2-3 hours sorting the starting problem and then having a good old fettle with carb and a general check over things.
The problem turned out to be a temperamental fuel relay so i now know what to go to if it decides to play up again.
fitted new carb top which obviously got rid of the air leak from there as it was only sealing on 2/3 studs.
once started josh picked up that the carb needs new throttle shaft seals and possibly a couple of base gaskets, he also advised me to get a new dizzy and rotor as it wasnt firing as well as could be.
Honestly must say josh's knowledge on the little c1j is amazing and i do hope he comes back to the scene in the future.
i was also told that i could move my radiator over a few inches so that i can run the intercooler pipe directly down the front and give it a bit more space than it has now, josh proceeded to give me the piece of piping that would be required to fit to modify the top rad hose :king:

after all this he wouldnt take a penny off me, so he had a beer then was forced to take £20 and i gave him a couple of never used bodybuilding powders that he could sell and make £30-40 as i know hes big into the bodybuilding and surely someone would take them.

anyways i know mike at GT Turbo spares is having a few issues lately so i decided to make an order from CGB Motorsport as i need stuff asap.

i ordered the following
full carb rebuild kit
new mixture screw
new dizzy and rotor arm
new carb base mounting gaskets
new ngk b8eg spark plugs

all that lot with delivery come to £81.53 which is not bad at all.

i also got a pair of throttle shaft green seals from the RTOC club shop. im off out today to get a new battery from GSF as mine is defo past its best.

so my job will be to do all the above and also reduce 1st stage on carb down to 0.8 to start and go from there as its too rich off boost.

also got to send turbo back to wilky for a check over so going to remove it today and get it sent off

heres a brief video of it running

update from 26/02/2014
received my throttle shaft seals courtesy of rtoc club shop today, must say what a quick turnaround good work

missed my bloody delivery from cgb though so gotta get the mrs go n pick it up this morning before she goes to work as i start before 7am when the sorting office opens.

turbo was sent back to wilky yesterday for a quick check over etc so should have that back next week and back on for that weekend

27/02/2014
picked my parts up yesterday, so now i can fully rebuild the carb and even have the green shaft seals that never seem to get replaced

also as mentioned changing the dizzy and rotor plus a new set of plugs, will be dropping the oil and sticking new oil/fuel filters on there.

turbo arrived at wilkys place yesterday afternoon so fingers crossed we get a quick turnaround so i can get it back on asap.

will just be a matter of fine tuning the fuelling and setting boost at 23-24psi and then it will get it first trip out this year to donington park for the btcc in april followed by its overly long awaited trip back to wgt for a run on there hub dyno to see if we have gained any power

02/03/2014
i received my new battery for my car earlier in the week, iv said since about 2011 that i wanted to replace it as its never really been too good.

this one is much better and has a far better cca

07/03/2104
well my turbo has just arrived back with me from my mate, so tomorrows job will be to refit it and then its a matter of rebuilding carb, fit new plugs/dizzy/rotor etc and then get fine tuning all ready for btcc at donington in april then the dyno day the weekend after.

09/03/2104
Turbo is now back on my car and up n running. i noticed it needs a new rubber o ring for idle jet. Gotta rebuild carb anyway so all will be done hopefully within next 2 weeks.

well i taxed my car online today, and also ordered a few little bits n bobs that are needed.

also took a quick pic looked great with sun beaming on it, not long for some boostage :)

12/03/2014
my road tax should arrive today so hopefully when i get home its there, then my good mate justin (ex ep motorsport) at jl automotive has told me to take my car down there so i/we can finish the last few jobs off as it will be much easier than trying do it all on my drive.

whilst sorting though some of my parts im fount genuine renault fuel and oil filters and these will both be fitted when the car is up on the ramps doing oil change etc, i also received my new turbo housing studs as one of mine was damaged in transit so was able only to fit 4/5 of them.

i still have to refit my front and rear strut braces and whilst doing so iv decided to freshen up the front suspension with new top mounts/top hats and top strut bearings as who knows how long they have been on the car and they are going to be taking a bit of stick this year

well my road tax didnt show up today :mad: fecking dvla

so i decided to give the car a quick bath as it was looking a little dirty from being stood outside the last couple of weeks.

anyway heres a couple of quick pics

17/03/2014
finally have got to the bottom of the rich running issue and will have it sorted by the weekend, i also discovered a very slight tear in my vacuum hose so was defo leaking there. iv ordered a new length of vacuum hose which ill fit and i have my carb completely in bits awaiting a few bits for it.

20/03/2014
well i had a very productive afternoon iv now fully rebuilt the carb and replaced all the offending items, was a good job id bought another carb as spares as i ended up swapping a few bits over.

i will now be refitting the carb tomorrow and resetting the idle fuelling and idle speed there is now finally light at the end of the tunnel

23/03/2014
*big update*

after many false starts my car is finally back on the road so was out yesterday for its first boosting of 2014

only ran it at 15-16psi to shake some cobwebs off it but the grin factor was certainly there had so many people rubber necking including a fella in a porsche 911 who couldnt stop looking at it then gave me the thumbs up with a big smile on his face

i have decided to invest in a pair of uniroyal rainsport 3 tyres in 195/45/15 as my current rainsport 2s on the front are 195/50/15 and are catching my arches on full lock, i also believe the rainsport 3s are meant to be another step up from the 2s and if so that can only be a winner as i really rate the rs2 as a road tyre.

all i have to do now is get the car to my mates garage to carry out a few jobs before its back on the road properly.

oil and filter
fuel filter
new dizzy and rotor
move radiator over a few inches so can run intercooler pipe where there is more space
new top mounts/top hats/bearings etc
fit new tyres
refit front n rear strut braces
and a good general health check over the engine make sure theres no leaks etc etc

here she is parked back up at the mrs's place after a good day of boosting about

oh and i also received these last thursday so will be having a little trip out in the 5 to donnington park on the 20th april :)

not long until my car goes into my mates garage to get all these required/niggling jobs done.

i also by complete luck fount another very slight boost leak coming from the vacuum hose t piece which connects to the aei unit, i have now got a new connector and will get it fitted when all the work is going ahead. i also have a coolant leak which iv got a good idea is coming from one of the carb base hoses, i also have replacement ones to rule that out

:amazed: Well that's one of the best updates I have read in a long time :bigsmile:

This is still one of my favourite projects here on TC ;)

Well done buddy and keep up the good work ;)

:amazed: Well that's one of the best updates I have read in a long time :bigsmile:

This is still one of my favourite projects here on TC ;)

Well done buddy and keep up the good work ;)

thanks alot fella sorry for not being around to update iv finally got my ass in gear and updated it in one go for you :)

thanks alot fella sorry for not being around to update iv finally got my ass in gear and updated it in one go for you :)

That's ok you are forgiven this time buddy, just don't let it happen again! I've had to talk to her indoors for at least 6 months while I have been waiting for you to come back with an update ;).....:lol:

i genuinely did just laugh out loud at that :)

iv got a very busy few months ahead, getting married in july and moving house, but somehow the car keeps managing to take priority ;)

Getting married and moving house :amazed:

Marvellous ;)

On behalf of everyone here on TorqueCars, may we be allowed to send you huge congratulations to both you and the lovely lady! I hope your future time together is both happy wealthy and carefree :)

Getting married and moving house :amazed:

Marvellous ;)

On behalf of everyone here on TorqueCars, may we be allowed to send you huge congratulations to both you and the lovely lady! I hope your future time together is both happy wealthy and carefree :)

thanks alot thats kind of you, its a very busy/stressful time as you might know.

good thing is my mrs is becoming a fan of all things car related and loves the btcc series :D

we have 3 retro mini coopers for the wedding cars, plus i have a genuine rs500 sierra cosworth as my car

had a delay on my car going to my mates garage to to the last few jobs etc, its now going in next monday after work so fingers crossed we will have it ready before btcc donington on the 20th.

change of plan yet again, my car is now going to my mates garage next thurs/friday i have also managed to book both days off work so i can go along and muck in and hopefully get it finished in the 2 days.

*update*

been up at my mates garage from 9.30 until 3.00 today got a load of jobs done including fixing many bodges.

jobs done today
fitted new dizzy and rotor
fitted new spark plugs
renewed vacuum hose from turbo to bleed valve/bleed valve to carb
removed old plastic t piece from aei vacuum hose and replaced with straight connector
removed carb and cleaned out plus reduced first stage jet to 0.8 (1.00 standard) and refitted
dropped the oil/renewed sump plug and washer, fitted new oil filter and renewed oil.
fitted new fuel pump and fuel filter brackets
fitted new fuel filter
relocated fan relay and renewed terminals on wiring
fitted new genuine o ring on idle screw

once this was done she was then fired into life and instantly ran much better we got the idle to steady in between 13.8-14.2 afr which is fine for me, we will now be road testing it tomorrow to check on the boost were running and the afr's.

got a few more jobs to do first though including

fit front and rear strut braces
remove and refit side skirts properly
fit new tyres (uniroyal rainsport 3)
fit new wheel nuts and locking nuts