my 1991 Renault 5 GT Turbo

hi people thought id post a few pics of my r5 gt turbo i bought this car for 1k and what a bargain it is :D

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

DSC00006-1.jpg

Image0155.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

Image0156.jpg

bit of an update for you guys

got the fuel pump issue sorted out (bloody electrics) and whilst at it sorted all the wiring for the dash so now everything works as it should.

ill let the next 2 pics do the talking on the main update :)

over the moon first mot since late 2010 and passed without one single advisory the tester was very impressed with it.
I have just this second sorted 6 months tax for the car online, so alls it is a matter of is finishing the remaining last bits and ill be finally back out boosting

I hope you do make it to the RS club day Blunty, it would be good as you say to shake of the cobwebs ;)
I may have to travel to Southampton on Sunday for the last fitting of my new strut brace which is being made out of fibreglass as a template before the guys start to apply the carbon, so I hope to get away late morning.
If at all possible I might try to get up to that RS club nationals day.
Let us know what you decide to do buddy :)

I wonder if MA knows about Sunday, he has rather a special RS ;)

oh ill defo be there regardless of if car is ready or not, iv only missed 2 rs nat days since 1996 :)

plans for your motor sound very interesting its good of the place to be chucking you a couple of freebies as well.

ma will know 100% im sure hes a members of rsoc and along with ford fair its the biggest ford day in the uk.

my brother is going with the intention to buy a mint 2wd sappire cosworth, very nearly had one in june but the fella he was buying it off wrote it off whilst test driving itt with my bro in, talk about luck

Congrats, you must be so chuffed right now! Once you have stopped running around the neighbourhood telling everybody I look forward to seeing the future updates :)

its absolutely filthy atm inside and out but iv wasted no time, iv just been out and started doing bits had idle valve out and cleaned it and sprayed wd40 down the hole as gunk can get caught behind it.
iv also swapped over my 1st stage enrichment pressure adjustment screw, preset by Webber when New for T2 turbo! to a modified adjustable one which will allow me to lean the fuelling out off boost without fiddling with smaller 1st stage jet

got quite alot done yesterday, i did plenty of little niggly jobs and the set up the idle fuelling and got it exactly how i wanted it 14.4-14.5, its in fact the best its been since iv owned the car. I also decided to fir my new headlights which required taking the bonnet and front grille off but was more than worth it as they have really made a big improvement.

got a few more jobs to do today and will hopefully have them all done, tonights job is to set the main fuelling up

How do you set the idle on a carb set up buddy :embarrest:

hey mate i thought id replied to this

dead easy matey there is 2 separate screws that are accessible from drivers side one for idle speed one the mixture screw, just a matter of fettling them until as good as possible

been having issues with lack of boost/preload on my car

i have got to the bottom of the whole issue, seems like when my mate refitted my turbo he didnt fit the nut that goes on actuator rod hence why there isnt any preload (or is for 2 mins then gone).

case and point sunday i got it back at just under 20psi for all of about 5 mins then it was 10 then nothing, drove back most way from donington as an n/a c1j, was gutted as there was a mk1 focus rs that wanted to play and at the time i had 8psi boost.

easy fix though and hopefully get it sorted this week sometime and back to 23-24psi

got an early finish from work today so got home and sorted the actuator rod out finally fount a nut that fitted nice and set the preload, going to take the car out later on to see whats what then ill report back

thanks matey :)

good question and one that i wont be able answer until tomorrow evening, i should have a much better idea of how it goes now its got the proper preload and boost.

had a fantastic time at last nights classic car meet will defo be going next months on 29th august.
im going to upload an album in the events section but heres a few pics of mine and fellow rtoc member royz's cars at the show.

iv not had much time to do anything on the car as i was on my hols all last week, but i managed get a couple of hours last night to do a bit.

firstly i decided i wanted to replace the german ebay 2mm needle valve and refit the oe solex needle valve which i had drilled out to 2mm.
so i took carb top etc etc off and did this no probs.
But on removal of carb top i noticed the drivers side pin was hardly even pinch tight, so i got it back together and went to refit carb top all went well until getting to the drivers side fitting it wouldnt tighten at all and must be threaded, so this is where some of my boost could of been going?
i now have the required bit ordered off mike and hopefully will have it here saturday.

i also adjusted the actuator to get it sitting more square as the rod didnt look square at all tbh.
iv done a bit more research on billet wheel and my mate tells me there is no increase in size.
im now hoping with the oe needle valve fitted that the fuelling can be sorted and also fingers crossed might of fount the boost/lag issue

well yesterday i finally got the 2 required studs/nuts/washers off gt turbo spares so i could refit my carb top etc, got it all on nice and no gaps like before, so i thought lets give it a test now goes to start the car and battery was virtually flat , so iv stuck my battery booster on charge and will hopefully get to fire the car into life either today or tomorrow evening

finally got around to getting the car started last night, it fired into life and then died and would not start again, so i decided to take the carb completely off and strip it down/clean out and build back up. I also removed the spark plugs and gave all them a clean and they certainly needed it with how the car has been overfuelling.
refitted carb and plugs and she fired up straight away i just had to reset the idle speed and mixture which iv never known to adjust so easily, so fingers crossed we might have a much better fuelling carb now, i will find out on friday as im using my car to go onto a job as my van is in for m.o.t

managed to get an early finish so dropped my van off at my mates garage ready for mot tomorrow, then got home and put the car up the drive ready for a bit of boosting later on and to use for work tomorrow :)

hopefully have solved the boost/lag issue as well

Looks sweet as mate!

I was reading French car mag the other day, and there was a 240bhp R5 in there. Fastest in Britain apprently!