my 1991 Renault 5 GT Turbo

hi people thought id post a few pics of my r5 gt turbo i bought this car for 1k and what a bargain it is :D

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

DSC00006-1.jpg

Image0155.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

Image0156.jpg

Aye big gains (20-30hp proven, and better response) but that's low down on the agenda tbh, just payed out for a holiday to Mexico, have insurance and MOT for the Fiesta to pay the end of April. Zircotec coated JEK manifolds are £965 IIRC!

hmmm defo worth doing though for that gain the money is well worth it. my bro is in the market for a mk1frs now

Aye big gains (20-30hp proven, and better response) but that's low down on the agenda tbh, just payed out for a holiday to Mexico, have insurance and MOT for the Fiesta to pay the end of April. Zircotec coated JEK manifolds are £965 IIRC!

Think Armani is mostly for spanners? :D :D :D

:lol::lol:

hmmm defo worth doing though for that gain the money is well worth it. my bro is in the market for a mk1frs now

Depending on his budget there are a couple of really nice ones on the RSOC at the moment, deffo worth buying off an RSOC member owned car more likely to have been looked after. There is a bog standard one with 12k miles for £10.5k, absolute steal if it's not sold yet.

I think Drews is still for sale too, nicely modded about 38k miles.

bloody hell thats a bargain ill get onto the older wiser bro now haha

back onto my car its now come apparent that my brakes need upgrading lol so im going be having a 285mm big brake conversion sometime soon as no point having lots of whoosh whoosh with no stop stop ;)

Sorry mate bit off topic but important info for your bro nonetheless! Too right no point having go without the stop. What are you going for? Wilwood, Brembo, something from another car perhaps?

well guys i picked up new gearbox for my car on sunday and dropped it off to justin at automedics, we have decided send my flywheel to the engineers get it lightened/balanced to around 4kg thought may as well whilst the engine is out :)

also why engine is out we are going to go to town on the head multi angle valve seats etc and lots of porting, will also be porting the inlet manifold as well

well guys i picked up new gearbox for my car on sunday and dropped it off to justin at automedics, we have decided send my flywheel to the engineers get it lightened/balanced to around 4kg thought may as well whilst the engine is out :)

also why engine is out we are going to go to town on the head multi angle valve seats etc and lots of porting, will also be porting the inlet manifold as well

This is sounding more and more like a four wheeled rocketship! :)

This is sounding more and more like a four wheeled rocketship!

not quite but it will get there ;) going see what the max output of this turbo is then upgrade the rear housing to a .49 t25 max that out and upgrade the front wheel to a t34

well guys lots been going on recently i bought my new gearbox last weekend and dropped it off down at automedics my engine is now out and we have decided to alter a few things

firstly were going to town on the head and porting it to the max with multi angle seats etc and also porting the inlet manifold

second whilst the box is out we sent my flywheel to be lightened which i get back today ill report back on official weight but its meant to be around 4kg

then onto the biggest news my car is going be the official demo car for automedics (am motorsport) so will be at lots of shows, 1/4 mile days, track days etc and the plans that are set for it are rather impressive and with it being a demo car i get the work done very cheap.

few things that are upcoming are a complete respray including engine out and inside the bay done with any holes that aint needed filled in etc, anything that can be renewed will be eg brake servo, brake master cylinder header tank etc. also the wiring loom will be altered so anything thats not needed will go.
engine wise were thinking of moving battery to the boot and fitting aem water injection. an external wastegate will be added and a possible change of turbo spec using my existing one and upgrading the front wheel to a t34 mated to a .49 t25 ex housing with around 30psi put through it. oh and of course a big brake upgrade as the standard ones aint really up to much after standard boost lol
these are all only a few things that were going to be doing so watch this space for one cracking project

been down to am motorsport on my way home from work tonight i now have a lightened/balanced flywheel for the small cost of £50.
justin is looking to crack on with my car next week. he informed me that anything that can be polished in the engine bay is going to be done which i wont argue with and also hes going to port my inlet manifold whilst its off. there is going to be plenty of pics of the headwork etc

iv also decided to buy one of the tubular manifolds from the rtoc group buy (£135) purely so i can do a back to back test with them against a standard one am not to bothered with regards to big power gains more bothered with spool up?throttle response etc

your joking fella ? they are a bit of a legend in this country one of the original pocket rockets.

1/4 mile as it stands would prob hit low 13s once and at the next stage of development we going for low 12s

the r5 gt turbo 1/4 record stands at 10.3 but thats using a highly tuned clio 172 engine the c1j record is 11.1

Thats verry good, here in SA they like to convert old datsun 1400 bakkies with toyota
twin cam turbo engins. I had a friend who had put in a V8 ford Caprie`s engin in it.
Sorry i dont remember what it did on the track

will do fella got my eyes on a couple of other bits as well.
first job will be get it home and a big valet

wash,dry
clay bar
wash, dry
ag high def paint cleanser
ag super resin polish
ag ultra deep shine polish
ag high def wax

yes i know im polishing twice but iv always done this as the srp has a bit of filling qualities to it and also it seems give mega results when done this way

couple of pics and updates for you all

received the ktec big brakes and new header tank last week

2011-05-08192331.jpg

2011-05-08192406.jpg

should help me stop better and that header tank will tidy up the engine bay as mine was tatty as you can see from pics

popped into am motorsport tonight on route back from work things are looking good and the head is looking sound, couldnt believe how shoddy the bb tuning head was seemed like a friday afternoon special haha.
had a good chat whilst i was there and it looks like ill be getting fibreglass panels sometime prob over the winter

panels which we are looking at doing are, bonnet,boot,doors,front wings and roof

best thing is both my doors aint the best and my bonnet is rather shot so its ideal really

got a few pics of the head today

before (taken when it come off)
2011-05-11154023.jpg

after
2011-05-11154056.jpg

2011-05-11151646.jpg

also took a few more quick pics
2011-05-11151700.jpg

2011-05-11151732.jpg

2011-05-11151742.jpg

work is unreal pics dont do it justice

Last edited:
couple of quick updates

had alot of work done to the head as you can tell also the inlet has been really ported out and also had the exterior flatted down and mirror polished ill get pics asap. also taken the opportunity to clean all the samco hoses whilst all off the car they have come up really well and look like new (paint thinners the re oil them ;))

will be getting car back this week with a bit of hope we did find that it needs a new passenger side wheel bearing so one of them will be going on

also for anyone interested the r5gtt c1j world record was finally bought back to the uk yesterday 11.09 @ 127.01 mph
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StMHMvm-huw&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

no flow graphs mate but lets just say the guy who works on my car has been one of the top tuners of the c1j for about 17 years so i think he has a knack of knowing whats what lol ;)
hoping have the car back this week but told justin no rush as i cannot go to ppc in the park now due to work commitments