my 1991 Renault 5 GT Turbo

hi people thought id post a few pics of my r5 gt turbo i bought this car for 1k and what a bargain it is :D

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

DSC00006-1.jpg

Image0155.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

Image0156.jpg

cheers pal its got a couple of bits i want sorting eg drivers door and bonnet also its just starting to go around the windscreen so its hopefully going in sometime soon

well guys i had the compression tested and it was not good news was down on all 4 pots, so iv decided treat it to a new piston and liner set along with new stem seals plus ill get the bb tning racing cam fitted at the same time

Very nice car!!

im sure i have seen this car before, how long have you owned it?

i havnt seen one in good nick like this ever!!!

hi mate cheers 4 the comments, iv owned it since nov 09 bought it off a guy in derby and previous to that it was owned by someone from notts and someone from chester.

cant believe you aint seen any in good condition before they are there just people dont bring them out much iv seen plenty of good uns especially since becoming a member of the rtoc :)

i love these cars, was lookin for one before i had the gt, just couldnt find one at the time, there was afew about but they'd all been killed or have the engine bodged up n not set up right hence killin itself........ poor things lol

nice pics...really exelent condition but its so....so....tiny.....not to put it down or anything its just that im 7'5" and find really comfort in trucks suv and cars like mine...mine has no back seat and the front two seats are set back about 6" more than original...

lol well with being that tall id imagine most things are going be a no no to drive lol, im bang on 6ft and my bro 6ft3 he can drive this no probs same as me, also remember little car with none of the modern nanny state comforts = very light 830kg which in turn gives unreal acceleration and handling

you really cant just strip any car down till its this light mate, my old mg zr weighed 1080kg and i got that down to 950kg which was a big difference the only way i could have saved more weight was by getting carbon fibre panels, its like the new focus rs that weighs about 1450kg or a tad more id reckon the most that could come down to is about 1200kg

Well with my old chevelle I had it stripped down to bare minimum, sorry using my phone right now, and i do mean bare minimum because it was a dragster with one seat the heaviest thing on it was the frame the body was replaced with a carbon fibre copy all one piece and all together it weighed around 1850 lbs I will let you do da maths I aint got my calculator...

(EDIT BY Turbonutter69: Buddy please read the Forum rules for this site which you can find here http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f45/general-forum-guidelines-please-read-487/
It does state No TXT SPK.)

Last edited by a moderator:
right guys my car is now with none other than ian nixon, now if anyone on here knows anything about the gt turbo tuning scene they will now this guy to be the ex owner of europarts in stoke on trent he also built the legendary twin engined r5 gtt with 400bhp. having alot of work done up there cant wait get it back

well guys i got my car back last night and my god its just so much better now iv had the boost turned down to 10psi whilst im running it in, but it just drives so much more smoothly it even sounds healthier, also i can tell the 270 cam is in there as its even more eager to pull once it starts boosting.
got run it in for 2000 miles then its back to ian for either a t25 or t28 turbo and about 18-20psi obviously will all be set up by him, ian also re wired and relocated the fan wiring it now cuts in when it should and also have the manual switch wired up just in case :)

imjust havin mine rebuilt, did they say anything about how to run it in? ive heard keep it under 3k revs for 600-700 then slowly go over by abit until u reach over 1000miles then you can turn the boost back up, does that sound right? oh n too do an oil change after the first 100-200 miles to get rid of all the crap (tiny bit os metal etc)?

good thread btw :D

cheers fella

i take it this is in the punto gt you own ? if so it could be diff for your car, i was advised to run it in for 2000 miles and not go over 3500rpm for that time also oil only being changed after its ran in at the same time as i have my new turbo fitted :)

hi guys really have nothing to update on the car atm spending has stopped on it as everything is running ok plus its mot time in october and i also want it in the bodyshop over winter for a respray etc. only thing update is that the turbo was on its last legs but its more like its last leg now lol

update for u all

iv now got a replacement turbo for my car its only a standard t2 but it will do me until next yr as its mot and tax time in sept and oct. plus i want car in bodyshop over winter to be sorted.

also todays task started at 9.30am and finsished at 3.15pm started out as follows

1. rinse car of using power washer
2. wash car using 2 bucket method with megs nxt gen car wash
3. rinse and dry car
4. clay bar with megs clay and detailer
5. quick coat of ag high def cleanser
6. polish using ag super resin polish
7. waxed with ag high def wax

inbetween this windows and interior were cleaned along with the wheels, also applied ag tyre foam

car looks amazing again tried get pics but light is bad as its really cloudy and they come out no good

on a diff note the r5 gtt 1/4 mile record now stands at 10.37 secs :)

have you fella ? what is this t25 off ? as stated i do now have a replacement t2 to get me thru until the new year, but im wanting to upgrade to a full t25 after that

not been on here in ages just letting u know the car is very well had boost turned back up to 15psi :) iv just taxed it for 6 months and also booked in for mot next month.

iv also treated the car to a new set of rear brakes, new turbo to water hoses, new top rad hose, new horn, carb fully service with service kit and im in progress of getting a standard air box i already have the cold air feed for it

over this winter the car is goin in to be resprayed and have the louvered bonnet fitted, might also put an open mouth grill on there.

then i am toying with the idea of rebuilding and fitting my t25/t2 hybrid with .63 t2 rear or getting a t28 front and mating the .63 t2 rear to that

gave the yesmobile a much needed valet this afternoon before i take it up to ian nixon 2moz evening got a quick pic for you all, you can see my dad in the reflection off the back quarter

DSC00043.jpg