my 106

Jim

Torque Junkie
Well i put my sensible head on and went for a cheap car, good condition, cheap to insure, cheap to run and tax. Indeed i've ended up with a read 1998 1.1 106 XN.

However, i have now took my sensible head off and what have i got, a little project on my hands.

Im thinking firstly i really need to replace the horid wheel trims ( i mean horrid) with some alloys. Thing is with 15" alloys the back arches may need pulled a bit to stop them from rubbing, which may be worth the work instead of going for 14s.

Anyone else have a 106 and installed alloys? How much work was done to the arches?

On a side note i was thinking of investing some time on installing PAS from a newer 106. But i was kind of getting attached to the slightly less feathery steering, besides its not exactly a geep to drive, anyone done/known of PAS conversions?

Cheers

I think the 206 PAS is possible to fit but you still need to take the car apart. What size alloy wheels were you looking at getting - if you got with a low profile tyre you shouldn't need to roll the arches.

Glad you've got some wheels now! :D It'll be interesting to see what mods you get done to it. :wink:

Hi. I have got a 1992 K 1.4 XT with toyo proxies T1-S 195/45R15 78V and i have got no problems part from they rub a little on full lock on inner arch plastics.
(Could not tell you wot size alloys are as they come on the car.) :oops:

15", anything bigger would definently be a bit too much.

I was thinking about a visit to the scrap yard. 106s were fitted with PAS in the same year as mine. In fact that was part of the "face lift". The models with PAS are the same, just some minor tweaks. I thought a 106 PAS would be better to get than a 206 system. Probably costs about 70 quid from the scrapyard if they have any. Only thing is it would take some time to convert it, but it might be worth it, then again it might not be worth the time. Suppose i could live with the steering for the next few month.

Thinking about going down to halfords to get some kit for the interior.(even though clean, it isnt exactly attractive)

I'm going on holiday for 2 weeks in about 3 weeks, when i come back ill probably be fitting some alloys to the 106.

I would stick with 15's. Wide wheels make steering very heavy so bear this in mind if you upgrade them. You will want PAS then. The 106 PAS will be easier to do than a 206.

How big a job you think it would be fitting the PAS? Its not such a problem driving it, its when it comes to moving slowly and trying to squeeze into tight places that's the real pain.

PAS isnt going to be a big job, it isnt an engine out job; just got the work book manual. But i still dont know if i actually want to install it because i like feeling more in control of the car. The CV joint on the front drive shaft is needing seen to, probably needing a new driveshaft and something is wrong with one of the handbrake cables, (car kind of buckles if you pull the handbreak whilst its moving)

Once that's seen to ill start modding it a bit. Thinking of debadging the rear and sides tonight or tomorow. Once ive got a couple of years NCB maybe go for a GTi or a quickie and transfer some of the mods over and try and sell the old one.

Sounds like a plan :D

Sound like a plan to me too!

If you think the cars steering is heavy go with PAS but as long as you keep the tyres pumped up you should be OK without and as you say you can enjoy the feedback through the steering wheel.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back